Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2001 11:12:50 AM EDT
Today I went for my interview to get my pistol permit. To say the least I was not expecting the kind of hassle I received when I got there.It started out fine I brought all the info he asked for but some of the items struck me as little funny. I'm 29 years old and they wanted a diploma and social registry card witch I had lost long ago.After he had made copys of everything I had brought he started with the questions.These were the most intrusive questions I've ever had to answer.He wanted to know every job I`ve ever work at I`m unemployed right now and he made  a big deal about that.He want to know every place I`ve ever lived,These I can almost understand but the rest of his questions I didn`t like.He had me list every gun  that I own. Isn`t this illegal listing guns for purpose of registration or something like that? Because I doubt hes going to throw all of this away after hes done.He also plans on contacting my sons mother which we separated 10 years ago and I`ve had custody of for the past 7.I think this one bothers me the most we`ve been in several custody battles over the years so shes liable to say anything.He says its to make sure I was never abusive.Wich by the way I never had but like I said you never know what she`ll say.Then for the last 10 minutes he tried every thing in the book to get me to admit that I might had used drugs in the past.Even if I had I'm not stupid enough to admit it.I guess  my point is They have my finger prints they have my social security number if they wanted to know anything about me that should be enough.I have never been in trouble I have never been arrested for anything. The worst  thing I could have on my record is a traffic ticket.So fishing for past wrongs is not right.Not that I have anything to hide.If I had known this I might not have done it.So I guess I'm looking for so input from you guys looking to vent a little and maybe warn others about this cause I sure didn`t know it was like that.I mean what does a job or where I lived in the past or if I graduated or if had any other degrees or my love life have to do with being able to own a handgun.Thanks to all.

KOG

BTW: This all took place in NY.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Paul:

Amen to that!I had no idea it was going to be that much of a hassle.I didn`t realize we had gone that far down the tubes.I guess its time to take my head out of the sand and stop thinking it cant be as bad as I thought because its a lot worse.

KOG
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Paul:

Amen to that!I had no idea it was going to be that much of a hassle.I didn`t realize we had gone that far down the tubes.I guess its time to take my head out of the sand and stop thinking it cant be as bad as I thought because its a lot worse.

KOG
View Quote

move!  if i  understood you correctly you're unemployed so find a job elsewhere.  oh shoot.  just remembered your kid.  dang!  well, i don't recommened taking him away from his mother.  but when he's 18.  move!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats friggin horrible.  I'm sorry to hear that but I have to say not all of NY is that bad.  I just got a CCW 10 days ago from Oswego county, no interview no safty class, nothing.  

If you don't mind me asking what county did this to you?  I ask because I have two friends with permits pending in two different counties.

Those outside NY don't often realize that the NYS laws concerning pistol permits are generous, its only certain counties (meaning certain Judges) that do this kind of stuff.  I have heard in Broome county the Judge will refuse to sign permits for long periods of time if he is pissed about a gun related case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
So, it's just that way in NYC? It's easier to get a permit once you're out of the city?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.

ARlady:

I agree moving has crossed my mind,but to do that I would have to leave friends family,and get permission from the state anyway.But dont get me started on that one.

Counter Strike:

The county I live in was suposed to be one of the better ones.I haven`t made it to the judge yet this was just the interveiw with the state trooper thats investigating me.

KOG
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
mattja:

I live in the ADK park way out in the sticks.

KOG

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top