Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 7:18:16 AM EDT
I am considering purchasing either the Glock 31 for $499 or the Springfield ultra compact .45acp for $590.  What are the pro's and con's for both. [pistol]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had both Glocks and 1911s. Sold the Glocks and kept the 1911s. The Glocks were reliable and accurate, I just never like the "fit and feel". I'd buy the Springfield because I still believe that the 1911 style is best suited to combat and/or competition.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
You can shoot a Glock under water! If that isnt a combat pistol I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Chris,

I have multiple Glocks and 1911s.

My suggestion would be to spend a couple more dollars and get a Kimber 1911. I have not been all that impressed with the Springfields.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
"Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock"  

:)
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can shoot a Glock under water! If that isnt a combat pistol I don't know what is.
View Quote

You can fire just about any handgun under water, even some revolvers won't blow-up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you want it for?  CCW, target, home defense?  What else do you already have?

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I own a Springfield Armory V10 Ultra Compact in stainless steel.
It is a very nice pistol, I highly recommend buying this pistol over the Glock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I own both (and quite a few of each) and it depends on what you want to do with it.  Glocks go bang....everytime. They are truley combat Tupperware.

Springfileds are fun to tinker with, there are a ton on aftermarket parts for them, John Moses Browning knew what he was doing when designed the 1911, and it is a fine weapon.

If you have to bet your life on it, I would go with glock, if it is for shooting bowling pins, have fun witht he springfield.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never owned a 1911, and I'm not a fan of the compact ones, but budget willing I'll be able to pick up the Kimber I've been lusting after sometime next year.  I do own a Glock, and I must say I'm very happy with it.  It just seems to exude reliability.  The only real complaint I ever hear about them is the trigger, but it's not too bad.

Personally, I'd spend some time with both, and see which one you like best.  Ultimately, you're the one who's going to be living with the pistol that may well save your life.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
By answering these questions you can probably really answer it yourself, as only you can.

Which pistol do you understand best?
Are you willing to carry cocked and locked?
Do you prefer a hammer or a DAO?
Do you really want a .357SIG?  Great cart, but why?
Do you want to add stuff to it?
Do you have small hands?
Do you want more than 6+1 rounds?
Do you want it to look sexy?

As TylerDurden will tell you, and I'll agree, proficiency and shot placement are the key.

The reset is semantic preference.

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Ultimately it's gonna be what fits in the hand well. I own both glocks and 1911 styles in 10mm. The 357 sig is a good self defense round. I'd go to a gun show or a gun shop and hold the guns, amybe even shoot both if you have the oppertunity? The glocks are kinda wide and my hands are medium size so the 1911 fits better, but I do love the glocks. As far as reliability goes, I have an old glock 19 that I treat like crap (the only gun I do this with, and I do it for a purpose), I hardly ever clean it, get it wet, muddy (just like the company did) and the damn thing fires every time. I treat this gun awful and it always fires. I am not so sure I could do this with my 1911's:)
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Ultimately it's gonna be what fits in the hand well. I own both glocks and 1911 styles in 10mm. The 357 sig is a good self defense round. I'd go to a gun show or a gun shop and hold the guns, amybe even shoot both if you have the oppertunity? The glocks are kinda wide and my hands are medium size so the 1911 fits better, but I do love the glocks. As far as reliability goes, I have an old glock 19 that I treat like crap (the only gun I do this with, and I do it for a purpose), I hardly ever clean it, get it wet, muddy (just like the company did) and the damn thing fires every time. I treat this gun awful and it always fires. I am not so sure I could do this with my 1911's:)
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The GLOCK trigger can be greatly improved by installing a 3.5# connector (which comes standard on the G35).  
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you thinking of purchasing more pistols in the future? If so, the Glock has the advantage of offering a complete line of sizes and calibers in the same basic package. You can carry a full size .45 while hiking or a compact .357 while out for the evening yet still have the exact same drill for use.
The Springfield is a nice gun but does not offer this degree of flexibility.
The easiest way may be to see which one you shoot better then decide.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#16]
You're comparing apples to oranges.

If you want a double action pistol and like the 1911 style, check out the Para Ordnince LDA series.

They have full size and compact as well as  high cap and standard frames.

You get the best of both worlds.  1911 ergonomics, and a better double action only trigger.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Since when is comparing 2 handguns apples and oranges?

Overall something is always better then another.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Currently my only firearm is the LEGP.  I am wanting to get the pistol mainly for home defense and occasionally a weekend at the range.  I was originally wanting the Glock and then held the Springfield Ultra compact with the hogue grip and really liked the way the Springfield pistol felt.  I still have to try the Glock with the hogue grip but think it may become to bulky.  I have medium hands and my fiance has small hands and am trying to keep that in mind.  And are the two prices for these pistols good?  And what would be a good price for a Glock 30?          [pistol]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since when is comparing 2 handguns apples and oranges?

Overall something is always better then another.
View Quote

Presumably, a shooter would have a preference for one handgun action vs. another.  It appears in this case the person making the inquiry has already ruled out a revolver.

Comparing the Glock "safe action" to a a 1911's single action is apples to oranges.  The Glock will never have as nice a tigger as you can get in the 1911.  Conversely, the 1911 will never fire when pulling the tigger with the hammer down, and will necessitate carry in the cocked and locked conditon to have real utility for self defense.

If you make the assumption that there were certain attributes of these two handguns the person asking the question liked, you might assume it was the 1911's ergonomics and potent caliber and the reliability and simple trigger action of the Glock.

The handgun I suggested he consider offers a smooth DAO tigger (better than the glocks in my opinion) and the ergonomics and .45 cal of the 1911.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#20]
As I see it, its trully a feel thing, but if we are talking Quality for money, I have no idea how well springfield does up against a glock. I know glocks can be shot under water without a malfunction and I know a factory glock can outshoot a 1911 out of the box for accuracy 80% of the time (unless its custom).
If I was going to get a springfield 1911, I would have to send it to Larry Vickers for a custom job.

I guess it is apples and oranges, just depends which you like the taste of better!

Rent both of them and try them out, its how they feel that matters cause no one likes going to the range with a gun that doesnt feel nice in the palm of your hand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the input.  I will try these pistols out and possibly a few more to see which would be best for me. [pistol]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Currently my only firearm is the LEGP.  I am wanting to get the pistol mainly for home defense and occasionally a weekend at the range.  I was originally wanting the Glock and then held the Springfield Ultra compact with the hogue grip and really liked the way the Springfield pistol felt.  I still have to try the Glock with the hogue grip but think it may become to bulky.  I have medium hands and my fiance has small hands and am trying to keep that in mind.  And are the two prices for these pistols good?  And what would be a good price for a Glock 30?          [pistol]
View Quote

One thing to take into account, is that if this pistol is going to be for home defense, you should make sure to get night sites on whatever you get.  Aiming a gun in low light situations is not easy.  The first pistol I ever bought didn't have them, and I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since for not getting them.

As far as price, Glock 30's were going for ~$485 NIB and $545 NIB with factory night sites at this weekend's gun show.  You can pick them up off [url]http://www.gunsamerica.com[/url] in new and used shape for around that price.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Apologies if this has already been stated...

I would not recommend the Ultra Compact .45acp whether Springfield, Colt, Kimber, etc.  However, I DO recommend a 1911 in .45acp caliber.  If it's concealment you're worried about, be assured that a full size 5" barreled 1911 Government model EASILY is concealed on the strong side.  in fact, I had an Ultra Compact Springfield for CCW and it was actually LESS COMFORTABLE than a full size 1911.  I sold it ASAP.  

The key is a quality holster, not the gun shop crap for $20.  I would suggest an Inside The Waistband (IWB) holster.  Check out Mitch Rosen and Milt Sparks holsters.  Order now, because it will take 3 months to be made.

Back to the original question...a short barrel like the compacts are not conducive to such a heavy bullet such as the .45.  The Commander/Officer's size barrel is as short as you would want to go...but I still recommend a full size.  Read David Lauck's book "The Tactical 1911" and you will learn a lot.

As for Glock, they're reliable pistols.  I would get a .45acp, 10mm, or .40 S&W (in that order) in that caliber.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If I was going to get a springfield 1911, I would have to send it to Larry Vickers for a custom job.
View Quote

HA...good luck.  He's got a 2 to 3 year waiting list, and takes military SpecOps and LEO orders first.  AND, it would cost you an arm and a leg.  BUT I AGREE, if you could afford the time and money, it would be great thing to do.

Check out other American Pistolsmiths Guild members such as Teddy Jacobsen (www.actionsbyt.com).  He's an awesome trigger man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top