Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2001 1:44:13 PM EDT
Is hate speech (against religion, race, or orientation) REALLY protected by the First Ammendment? Man.. those A-holes at GHF won't leave me alone now (I know.. My fault), but some of the stuff they said I think is criminal.
What was the link that was used to report the RATM message board? I'd like to get these people shut down.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the GHF and what were they saying.

The law on freedom of speech is a little tricky. Even though you have the right to free speech, you do not however have protection for the results or against being prosecuted for it. That's the tricky part. No one can keep you from saying whatever you want,,, but after you do, you may have to pay for it. The constitution only protects your right to say it. It doesn't protect you afterwards.

I'm already feeling everyone jump all over my ass about this one but that was the specific description I got at law classes. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It is protected, but not protected from verbal backlash or boycotts. Keep pounding their ISP's. They are private business' and can pull any website per their discretion.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Retro, GHF is God Hates Fags, a website that is full of hate         speech. They are hosted by a First Amendment page.

I e-mailed My views on their site, and did not expect a reply, just like HCI, MMM, VPC, ect.. But I was responded to BY 4 different people ( all related though).

I DO NOT CONDONE HOMOSEXUALITY, but I do not condone hate sppech either.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, hate speech has very BROAD latitude.

However this is, unfortunately, a private site, so we are all at the mercy of the moderators.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
It's only protected if it originates from races other than Caucasians.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I don't support their cause, such as marriage and benifits, but I also believe that only God can judge their souls.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Is hate speech protected?
View Quote

Depends on who is speaking?

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I'm confused with these righteous biggots. Oops, there I go judging someone and putting titles on them.

Anyway, I went to church and I was led to believe that God did not hate anybody. He even tells us to hate their acts but not the sinner. These guys are so caught up in their mission that they are breaking some of their bosses rules. That makes them very similar to bin Laden and his cronies. Not to same extent of course but still just rationalizing one thing to justify their own sinning and egos. What a shame. They will eventually learn.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Just read through their FAQs sheet. They have put a lot of work into their agenda. Some of it is accurate, maybe more. They are very "old school" and that is just a religious freedom.

They DO explain that they do NOT support violence like others do. Unfortunately, the nature of their presentation and message could certainly be seen as feeding the hatred and causing violence. I think that they, like many other righteous self-proclaimed messengers, think that the ends justify the means. They quantify homosexuality as one of the lowest forms of sin. That is interesting.

Their desire to focus on this one area and fight it is certainly a fascinating concept. I would like to warn you though that they have obviously thought this through. There is probably nothing you could ever say to them to change their belief or approach. They probably exist in their own little circle and support this. I wouldn't go to the trouble of sending them email because it would just make things worse and they won't care.

As long as they aren't preaching violence or promoting it,,, there isn't much that can be done. Their technique of blaming occurances on homosexuality is not promoting violence, it just seems that way. I didn't really spend a lot of time on the site to give a thorough analysis of it though. Maybe later.

I got a couple of new guns at the show today so I have other things to waste my time on right now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top