Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2001 3:55:43 PM EDT
WE TOLD YOU SO YOU STUPID AMERICANS!

Kinda makes one think our support of the Afghan "Freedom Fighters" was perhaps not such a good idea. Oh well, our main goal was to screw the Russians after all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, but the good news is that if/when we go into bombinb the hell outta afghanistan, you can rest assured that we won't have to haggle with russia about it.  they'll probably supply the bombs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You can follow bin Laden's progress from  Afghanistan, Kuwait, Bosnia, Chechnya, Kosovo, Tadzhikistan, and...... (probably omitting some).

Yep, it should have been no surprise that this guy and his ilk were turds!

DaMan  
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
this will drive russia and us together, which i think is a good thing.  putin needs to be careful that he doesnt soud TOO eager tho.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It wouldn't surprise me if Russian High Command was trying to angle their way in on a piece of the action. I imagine they would like a little payback, too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
What I am tired of is people saying that the Afghan people are nothing compared to out military.  I mean, study some history for goodness sake, they didn't do a bad job on the Russians.  

Getting back on topic, I would not be opposed to fighting alongside the Russians.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What I am tired of is people saying that the Afghan people are nothing compared to out military.  I mean, study some history for goodness sake, they didn't do a bad job on the Russians.  

Getting back on topic, I would not be opposed to fighting alongside the Russians.
View Quote

Not if we use nukes!
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not if we use nukes!
View Quote

Good point.  Resume above ground testing...

[size=6][b]IN AFGHANISTAN[/b][/size=6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
"KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT."

Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I mean, study some history for goodness sake, they didn't do a bad job on the Russians.
View Quote

The Russians were trying to pacify and occupy.  

In contrast, we will only be trying to KILL.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The Russian response; from an article off CNN...

[i]Russian President Vladimir Putin also sent a telegram to Bush. "Dear George," he wrote, "such an inhuman act must not go unpunished."[/i]

Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Kaliburz: what do you mean, sort?

Wouldn't it be a stroke of genius for the Russians to beat us to a military strike in Kabul?
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope the Russians and the Chinese help us on this.  Its going to be hard going at it alone. I know the Russians have an axe to grind but I dont know how much they are willing to get more of their boys killed there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They didn't do a bad job on the Russians in a ground war.  I believe if we go into Afghanistan, we'll do something like Desert Storm.  Lots of high-tech weaponry knocking out key spots before a single armed serviceman ever hits the sand.

I seriously doubt that Afghanistan has the kind of anti-aircraft capability necessary to pose a serious threat to the USAF.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]
They used US supplied stingers and tied themselves in trees to kill russian helos.  Without out anti aircraft they will be nothing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't underestimate the Afghans.  They are tough and do not fear death and they have a very rugged countryside.  In their own country they would be formidable opponents.  They have fought amongst themselves in varying intensities for centuries.  I would not want to fight a ground war against them from half a world away.  You can make them pay without putting U.S. troops on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Who is this bin Laden bastard? I know he was responsible for the US Embassy bombings and is on the FBI 10 most wanted. What is his main beef? Are we the great satin like the Iranians said? I checked out the Islam faq site and they believe in Allah(God) and other prophets even Jesus. Sounds like their religion is not that far offtrack? Submission to Allah, prayer and other reasonable practices. If we are going to declare war on these people I, at least, want to know who we are fighting. Also, how is he justifing the killing of us Americans. I believe we have to be careful about payback, two wrongs don't make a right. Any thoughts?
Edit: On second thought we nuked the Japanese and a lot of innocent people were killed. It's beginning to sound like the Russians wouldn't have any objections of a large Military strike in Afganistan(non nuke).
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
The Russians didn't have the M-16A2 or the USMC!
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They used US supplied stingers and tied themselves in trees to kill russian helos.  Without out anti aircraft they will be nothing.
View Quote

They still have a couple hundred stingers that were never returned to the U.S.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Russians didn't have the M-16A2 or the USMC!
View Quote

How true.  The Afghan Tiger will tremble when it gets a taste of the fight in the Devil Dogs!
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't underestimate the Afghans.  They are tough and do not fear death and they have a very rugged countryside.  In their own country they would be formidable opponents.  They have fought amongst themselves in varying intensities for centuries.  I would not want to fight a ground war against them from half a world away.  You can make them pay without putting U.S. troops on the ground.
View Quote

OMG! We would never fight a ground war of pacification versus Afghanistan. With the worst terrain in the world it would be insane, and the logistics would have to go through the former soviet republics in the north (not Pakistan).

It could only be via missiles, aircraft, special forces and aid to the afghani opposition.

Better to fight TEN ground wars versus Iraq (great tank country) and take Baghdad then ONE versus Afghanistan to take Kabul.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys have to remember...if/when we go into Afghanistan, we will not be fighting the entire Afghan population.  We will be fighting and destroying the GOVERNMENT of afghan., the Taliban.  The average joe in Afghanistan HATES the taliban, and would be more than likely to just step aside and let us destroy the government that has been oppressing the entire people of afghanistan, at soccer matches...the only acceptable cheer is "However you say, 'god is great'" in afghan.  I think a ground war is VERY winable in afghanistan, and that should be our response.
-marty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top