Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2006 6:04:54 PM EDT

Japanese Holdouts: Registry

Philippines February 22, 1946 - Lubang island Allied casualties in a post WWII battle
Intense fighting developed on February 22, 1946 when troops encountered 30 Japanese. Eight Allied troops were killed, including 2 Filipinos. The Filipino and Americans sent for an additional 20,000 rounds of small arm ammunition, but not future battles occurred of this magnitude. In early April, 41 members of the Japanese garrison on Lubang island came out of the jungle, unaware that the war had ended.

Peleliu Island  Secured November 1944

March 1947 - Ei Yamaguchi's Band Attacks US Marines

Peleliu is a small six mile long by three mile wide island. It was originally secured by American Marines in November of 1944 after fierce fighting. A band of 33 Japanese soldiers renews fighting on the island by attacking a Marine patrol with hand grenades. At that time, only 150 Marines were stationed on the island, with 35 dependents. Reinforcement were called in to hunt down the hideouts. American patrols with a Japanese Admiral sent to convince the troops that the war was indeed over finally convinced the holdouts to come out peacefully.

Iwo Jima  Secured March 25, 1945

January 6, 1949 - Two Holdouts Found

Two former IJN soldiers, machine gunners, Matsudo Linsoki and Yamakage Kufuku (24) are discovered on the island and surrender peacefully.  They had been living under the shadow of American forces and stealing supplies.

2nd Lt. Hiroo Onoda photographed immediatly after his surrender in 1974

Circumstances of His Surrender
Despite the efforts of the Philippine Army, letters and newspapers left for them, radio broadcasts, and even a plea from Onoda's brother, he did not belive the war was over. On February 20, 1974, Onoda encountered a young Japanese university dropout named Norio Suzuki who was traveling the wold and told his friends that he was “going to look for Lieutenant Onoda, a panda, and the abominable snowman, in that order. The two became friends, but Onoda said that he was waiting for orders from one of his commanders. On March 9, 1974, Onoda went to an agreed upon place and found a note that had been left by Suzuki. Suzuki had brought along Onoda’s one-time superior commander, Major Taniguchi, who delivered the oral orders for Onoda to surrender. Intelligence Officer 2nd Lt. Hiroo Onada emerged from the jungle of Lubang Island with his .25 caliber rifle, 500 rounds of ammunition and several hand grenades. He sureendered 29 years after Japan's formal surrender, and 15 years after being declared legally dead in Japan. When he accepted that the war was over, he wept openly.

Afterwards
He returned to Japan to receive a hero’s welcome, and world media attention, and was hounded by the curious public everywhere he went. He was unable to adapt to modern life in Japan, but wrote his memories of survival in "No Surrender: My Thirty Year War" After publication, he moved to Brazil to raise cattle. He revisited Lubang island in 1996, and still alive today. He then married a Japanese woman and moved back to Japan to run a nature camp for kids.

Hiroo Onoda as a young officer in the Japanese Army

Norio Suzuki and Hiroo Onoda in February 1974 on Lubong Island, before he decided to surrender.  Suzuki is holding his rifle.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think his clothes would have fully worn out 6-7 times.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, that's one stubborn guy.
I think I would have ate my gun than roam the jungle for 29 years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

2nd Lt. Hiroo Onoda photographed immediatly after his surrender in 1974

Circumstances of His Surrender
Despite the efforts of the Philippine Army, letters and newspapers left for them, radio broadcasts, and even a plea from Onoda's brother, he did not belive the war was over. On February 20, 1974, Onoda encountered a young Japanese university dropout named Norio Suzuki who was traveling the wold and told his friends that he was “going to look for Lieutenant Onoda, a panda, and the abominable snowman, in that order. The two became friends, but Onoda said that he was waiting for orders from one of his commanders. On March 9, 1974, Onoda went to an agreed upon place and found a note that had been left by Suzuki. Suzuki had brought along Onoda’s one-time superior commander, Major Taniguchi, who delivered the oral orders for Onoda to surrender. Intelligence Officer 2nd Lt. Hiroo Onada emerged from the jungle of Lubang Island with his .25 caliber rifle, 500 rounds of ammunition and several hand grenades. He sureendered 29 years after Japan's formal surrender, and 15 years after being declared legally dead in Japan. When he accepted that the war was over, he wept openly.

Afterwards
He returned to Japan to receive a hero’s welcome, and world media attention, and was hounded by the curious public everywhere he went. He was unable to adapt to modern life in Japan, but wrote his memories of survival in "No Surrender: My Thirty Year War" After publication, he moved to Brazil to raise cattle. He revisited Lubang island in 1996, and still alive today. He then married a Japanese woman and moved back to Japan to run a nature camp for kids.

www.wanpela.com/holdouts/profiles/onoda/onoda-young.jpg
Hiroo Onoda as a young officer in the Japanese Army

www.wanpela.com/holdouts/profiles/onoda/onoda-suzuki.jpg
Norio Suzuki and Hiroo Onoda in February 1974 on Lubong Island, before he decided to surrender.  Suzuki is holding his rifle.

Ballsy dude, despite anyones beliefs on the war.  It may not take much to hide out in the woods, but to do it for 30+years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Sgt. Yokoi spent 24 years on Guam. He watched the B-52's taking off for Viet Nam, and thought WWII was still being fought.

I went looking for his hideout, but wasn't able to find it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The dedication that man has to his cause is amazing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Their steadfastness was what made them tough. Their weapons were subpar and so was their training.  But they were mentally tough beyond what is normal.

They followed the Bushido code to the end.

ETA: It also made them into monsters.  Anyone that didnt live up to the Bushido code was subhuman.  Thats why they treated the conquered and those that surrendered as a nuisance then POWs.  For them to kill an enemy soldier who surrendered was less then killing a fly.  They would have fought to the death.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Brave Lt. Onoda continued his war by killing unsuspecting Filipino farmers. Not much of a warrior if you ask me.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The only real problem with the Japs is that we didn't kill enough of them.    Undoubtedly the most barbarous enemy we have ever fought........brutal to those they captured...men,women, children.    I recall seeing old news reels of the bayoneting babies in Nanking......not mention what they did to allied prisoners.......they got what they deserved, just not enough of it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The only real problem with the Japs is that we didn't kill enough of them.    Undoubtedly the most barbarous enemy we have ever fought........brutal to those they captured...men,women, children.    I recall seeing old news reels of the bayoneting babies in Nanking......not mention what they did to allied prisoners.......they got what they deserved, just not enough of it.

It's strange, you know, how tame/passive the Japanese seem now compared to how vicious they were in WW2...
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's strange, you know, how tame/passive the Japanese seem now compared to how vicious they were in WW2...

when you fight an enemy who is sworn to fight to the death, the only answer is to shove death down their throats until they gag on it.  Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the firebombing of Tokyo accomplished that.  

No negotiating, no "law enforcement" protocols.  Give them what they want until they can't take any more.  Is this a lesson for today's fight?  We'll see.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They've gone completely insane from suppressing their "normal" ways.

Have you seen Japanese culture? Them folks are weird!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I think majority of it is B.S. Many of them didn't want to come to terms they lost, were abandoned, and/or the fact they had war crimes in their name. There are many cases in which they were found, wouldn't quit, and killed many more innocent civilians.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Definitely agree.  I do believe they have competition for the most barbarous enemy now .
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely agree.  I do believe they have competition for the most barbarous enemy now .

Where is Patton or Churchill when you need him?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#18]
2nd Lt. Hiroo Onoda a truly dedicated MORON
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Brave Lt. Onoda continued his war by killing unsuspecting Filipino farmers. Not much of a warrior if you ask me.  

Actually most of those were police in shootouts, and he even received a pardon from President Ferdinand Marcos.
I remember seeing him and his weapons on TV, they were on the battered side but looked to be in quite good condition.
I suspect some of those left behind soldiers especially those who had even married locals actually knew that the war was over,  but for some reason or other, didn't want to return to Japan but I think that he was the real thing.
Listening to some of his interviews, he speaks an old version of Japanese, and I think that he was slightly mentally affected, wouldn't blame him though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I'm wondering if some of those guys didn't want to go home.  Maybe they liked being on their own. . . .weren't good at peactime roles. . . . the war gave their life meaning.  The war gave them direction and purpose.  The idea of living as a "subject" of your enemy. . . too horrible to face, so I'll just hide out here in the jungle. . .

Plus, as others have noted the idea of being defeated was so repugnant to them.  The loss of "face", as it were, in the extreme.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]

There is an old Japanese saying along the lines of

"the nail head that sticks up will soon get beaten down"

The Japanese are actually pretty conformist and define the word "sheeple" pretty well....
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant believe such ignorance still exists on this board.

ETA: Thats why their companies are kicking ours.  While FORD and GM will cease to make any car of any worth, Toyotas are in every driveway.

Just because they changed their tactics dont underestimate other people.  Ignorant people like you will let our side lose.  While you look down on others your friends and family will be employed by them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Thats why their companies are kicking ours.  While FORD and GM will cease to make any car of any worth, Toyotas are in every driveway.

Just because they changed their tactics dont underestimate other people.  Ignorant people like you will let our side lose.  While you look down on others your friends and family will be employed by them.

The reason why Japan is producing superior Automobiles is because of Americans such as W. Edwards Demming, and Juran who taught the Japanese how to produce a quality product. This occurred in Post WWII Japan.

Later on, Japanese Quality Engineers such as Taguchi, Ishikawa, took Quality Engineering and Quality Management to a new level.

Demming so impressed the Japanese that JUSE (Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers) created the Demming Prize.

Demming, Juran, Ishikawa, Taguchi received an Award from Emperor Hirohito for their efforts in making Japan the Industrial Powerhouse it is Today.

Link Posted: 10/17/2006 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Didn't Ford, GM, etc show Demming or Juran the door, and that's why they went over to Japan?
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reason why Japan is producing superior Automobiles is because of Americans such as W. Edwards Demming, and Juran who taught the Japanese how to produce a quality product. This occurred in Post WWII Japan.

Later on, Japanese Quality Engineers such as Taguchi, Ishikawa, took Quality Engineering and Quality Management to a new level.

Demming so impressed the Japanese that JUSE (Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers) created the Demming Prize.

Demming, Juran, Ishikawa, Taguchi received an Award from Emperor Hirohito for their efforts in making Japan the Industrial Powerhouse it is Today.

EXACTLY!

While these arrogant dolts are looking down on the Japanese, the Japanese see a good thing and adopt it regardless of where it came from.  The ability to adapt and overcome is what makes them the powerhouse they are today.  Sounds a lot the Marines.

Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Onoda should have been tried for murder. He was told many times that the war was over and that the Japanese surrendered. He continued to attack and kill Fillipinos.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
when you fight an enemy who is sworn to fight to the death, the only answer is to shove death down their throats until they gag on it.  Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the firebombing of Tokyo accomplished that.  

No negotiating, no "law enforcement" protocols.  Give them what they want until they can't take any more.  Is this a lesson for today's fight?  We'll see.

Good post.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Didn't Ford, GM, etc show Demming or Juran the door, and that's why they went over to Japan?

That's my understanding, at least for Deming.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Sounds like you're lost somewhere in the Pacific yourself.  Say hello to Gilligan.
Top Top