Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2001 7:22:54 AM EDT
What kinda cocktail was that Steven Seagal put in the microwave in the movie Under Siege?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:20:28 AM EDT
Hollywood bull$%!@. I mean, come on! It blew up WHEN THE BEEPER WENT OFF on the microwave! Like a bomb happens to know that when the microwave shuts off it's supposed to explode. Why would it blow up when the microwave activity STOPS?!?!?!? I liked the movie, but hated that scene in it. Unfotunately, it was a preview for Under Siege 2 that was ridiculously stupid.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:44:09 AM EDT
Well, whatever cocktail it was, it can be made quickly from items commonly found in the galley of a US warship! Eric The(Yeah,Right!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:51:09 AM EDT
His acting talent??
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:08:09 AM EDT
It's been a couple of years since I've seen that movie but this was my take. He took a glass and added a liquor with a high alcohol content. That is a flammable/explosive. Also put in a brillo pad or scrub pad with soap in it. If that soap had any ammonia, it may have contributed to the blast. Then put mixture in microwave and set delay timer. As in, I'm leaving for work now and I want my lunch hot when I walk in the door. Standard feature on most electrical cooking appliances with timers. The beeping before the blast was the microwave starting, not stopping iirc. Have you ever put any metal such as foil or a utensil in a microwave accidentally? It gets very hot very quickly. Wire mesh like a brillo or steel wool scrubber increase the surface area and decreases the heat sink rate so it probably got red hot in one second. I'm not going to ruin my microwave finding out. Commercial microwaves are much more powerful that home models. So, now we have a very flammable mixture under a powerful microwave beam causing it to get hot and fill the atmosphere with flammable vapors. We have a metal getting red hot and combusting in those vapors. If you doubt a 600+ watt microwave is powerful enough to to do this, take a 1.5 volt flashlight battery and touch a piece of steel wool to both ends. The fireworks should convince you. This is an old trick campers use to start fires. And that is an old trick movie commando's use for those kitchen shootouts. Sheesh. You guys should watch more movies.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:23:30 AM EDT
It was alcohol plus some other stuff that will burn with several metal objects in a cup. It's a pretty good way to make a bomb. The power was shut off, when the bad guys came in and turned on the power, it ignited the fluid, booooom! My old Art Director once put a baked potato into the microwave without removing the tin foil. She then left the kitchen area to get a drink. While we were sitting eating our lunch, the tin foil started to "arc" and tiny lightning bolts were flying everywhere inside the microwave. It then started a little fire by igniting the paper towel and styrofoam container. Everyone was freaking out, no one wanted to touch it because of the lightning bolts. I ran over and popped the door open. Another coworker grabbed the windex and put out the fire. What a mess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:25:38 AM EDT
WOW! Axel you really know your stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:36:32 AM EDT
Put a Capri Sun in the microwave.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:56:31 AM EDT
I was thinking of using a spray-paint can...
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:14:52 AM EDT
theoreticaly would it work??? yes realisticaly would it work??? prolly not would have more than likely just started a fire. theres was no explosive involved unless your thinking fumes, the arc from the steel wool would have burnt up the fumes before they would fill the microwave and at the most started a fire. as far as the caprisun yeah that would create a mechanical explosion and the paint can would be a chemical explosion from the fumes being built up in the can then being ignited and having no place to go but out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:36:49 AM EDT
are you sure that the brillo would arc under fluid? I'm thinking that the timer was put on high thus boiling out the liquid (cooking sherry?)(creating vapors as the alcohol should vaporize before the rest of the fluid) to the point that the brillo was exposed to the air, arcing and then exploding the vapors. Anyone donating their microwave for a look-see? How about that crazy show on cable where the guys do the really stupid things (jackass?)
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:55:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Axel: It's been a couple of years since I've seen that movie but this was my take. He took a glass and added a liquor with a high alcohol content. That is a flammable/explosive. Also put in a brillo pad or scrub pad with soap in it.
View Quote
It was a brillo pad? I thought it was one of his spare toupes!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:03:45 PM EDT
He he, yeah it was his toupe strap and girdle snaps.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:39:39 PM EDT
I think it was a prop.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:33:11 PM EDT
Who Cares! I still think about Erika Eleniak jumping out of that cake! That was one of the best shots of all time! [:P]
Top Top