Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2001 9:26:36 AM EDT
Looking at Remington 700.

What features are different between the different models?
Any real disadvantage to any of them?

What are the different loading techniques for the magazines?

What about the detachable mag version?

I"ve seen 700's for $319.00 at the local discount sports stores. Which model would that be? Is 308 a commonly found version, or are most sold in 30.06?

Too many questions. Any experts out there with opinions?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
All the designations represent variations on the basic Remington 700 action. ADL, BDL, etc represent different stocks and non-action releated features.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
*Please forgive me if I come off condescending, I have no idea what your knowledge level is*

Well, first thing is to understand what you are going to do with it.  

Are you going to take it to the range on a regular basis and put 20 rounds or more through it each time totaling a couple hundred rounds a year?  

Or, are you going to take it to the range once each fall, fire 6 rounds to confirm your zero, and then take it into the woods during the winter and kill 2 or 3 deer totaling around 10 rounds a year?

Here is the difference:  

some 700s are bult small and light, making them good guns to hump through the bush.  These models will not hold up to extended periods of shooting and hundreds of rounds a year.  The barrels are thin and can more easily warp with the heat generate during long shooting sessions.  These models are also not very nice to shoot for extended periods of time.  Being lightweight and slim, you are taking more of a punishing from recoil.  Models in the $300 range tend to be of this type.

Other 700s are built heavier, making them tough guns to hump through the woods but able to stand up to heavy shooting.  They are also easier to shoot for extended periods because of the increased size and weight.  These models tend to get up into the $700 or $800 range.  Some examples are the 700 VS line and the Sendero line.

Then there are the 40x models, made specifically for target shooting and quite expensive.

Continued on next post...
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
M4,

You should pose this question to the "Art of the Rifle" forum on [url]http://www.thefiringline.com[/url].  Also, check out Remington's web site at [url]http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/centerfire.htm[/url].

In general, all the 700 variants have the same basic action.  The ADL is the "entry" version, and it comes with a blind box magazine (only way to unload it is by cycling the bolt).  The BDL is the standard (deluxe?) wood version; typically nice walnut stock, with a floorplate on the magazine.  Many variations, and many calibers.  The 700 VSSF (Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted) for instance, is a stainless action with fluted varmint barrel in an H.S. Precision stock.  But expect to pay $650 or there abouts for one.  Most I know who shoot 700s don't care for the detachable mags.  Apparently they don't feed as reliably as the standard box magazine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
ADL and BDL stand for "A" Deluxe and "B" Deluxe. The ADL is the economy version with a blind magazine and used to have a walnut stained hardwood stock with pressed checkering (there is also a version with a synthetic stock); it is most likely the one that you're seeing advertised. The BDL has a cut checkered stock with a black forend tip and gloss finish. There are also versions of the 700 that have a "DM" suffix to their model number indicating a detachable magazine. There are other versions of the 700 as well like the 700 VS (varmint synthetic), 700 VSSF (varmint synthetic stainless fluted), etc. Remington's website and catalog explain all of this. The basic action is the same throughout.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
As for detachable mags, I don't miss it on mine.  If I shoot all 3-5 rounds (depends on model/caliber) from the internal mag, I can grab one from the stock mounted cartridge carrier and drop it in faster than I could change magazines.  I think its personal taste with this...

If you can answer my first question (what are you going to use it for), I would be happy to reccomend a few specific models.

Let's see, what else did you ask?

What you are seeing for $319 at your local chain store is probably a .270 or .243, maybe an 06.  I doubt it would be a .308, they don't seem as popular for hunting.  (at least not according to the chain store philosophies)

Hope I was able to help some...

ANTI FLAME DISCLAIMER:
These are just my OPINIONS formed from my personal experience with these rifles.  I don't claim to be an expert and I certainly do learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
ok heres the scoop

The bargin basment 700's are usualy adl rifles k mart type stores sell them by the truck load their excelent rifles they just lack all the bells and whistles

besides cosmetics
 The only BIG diff between an adl and a bdl is that the bdl has a removable magazine the adl does not. The action is identical.

on other 700 varients you can pretty much see what your getting as in  weight,stocks, barrels, triggers etc.

The 40x is another ballgame by it's self the sky is the limit on those what ever you want it can usualy be done.
But those only come from the remington custom shop and sell for a premium depending on desired options.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info so far...

So the BDL mag swings out and is faster to unload, or load? The ADL is just slower to unload? Is that right? Is there an advantage on loading or about the same?

What about recoil pads, do they all have an integral one, or do some not have one?

My usage, would be for a general purpose rifle. Some hunting, some targets, etc.  The price seems real reasonable for a nice rifle. Would any model have a combat disadvantage?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, yeah, wood vs. synthetic. Any advantages disadvantages? Weight, recoil, accuracy, durability?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm let's see.  As far as I know all model 700's come with an integral recoil pad.  As far as "combat disadvantages", if you want a combat rifle get yourself an AR.  If you want a combat rifle with long range capabilities, I'd suggest a Remington Model 700 VS/P/PSS/Sendero; these are essentially the same rifle, the name varies due to caliber(except the P and PSS which have a slightly different stock).  Now, for the stock questions:
         Synthetic            
durability    *
accuracy      *
weight(less)  *
good looks    *                  

Wood stocks are heavier, scratch easier, and have been known to affect accuracy for reasons I won't go into for sake of length.  Let's just put it this way, the military now uses synthetic stocks on most, if not all, of their sniper rigs.  Synthetic is more practical for any rifle.  The only reason to opt for wood is availability and good looks.  Personally, I take a nice, black, tactical stock over a wood one (functionality has a beauty all in itself).

Recoil depends on the weight of the rifle as a whole.  A synthetic stock with a heavy barrel won't have as bad a recoil as one with a standard barrel and so on.  These stats have been given by an avid Remington user and gun lover, by no means am I considered an expert in any field, well....besides smartassedness.  But that's beside the point.  Any more questions send email to: [email protected].  

Later
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#10]
ADL’s and BDL’s both load the same – through the top.  BDL’s can be unloaded from the bottom via the pivoting floorplate.  ADL’s are unloaded by cycling each round individually through the action.  This is slower – it also unnerves some folks since you’re putting the rounds in the barrel chamber and conceivably could pop a round off.

I’ve heard bad things about the detachable magazines not staying seated properly.  However, I have no first hand experience with these.

Some 700’s have recoil pads and some don’t.

While some 700’s make great sniper rifles, they’re otherwise not really “combat” rifles.

The Remington Model 700 is a large family of rifles based on the same action (actually there’s a least two versions of this action, a long action and a short action).  It would really be worth your while to download Remington’s catalog from their site referenced above.  There are a lot of differences between these rifles.  There is also a Model Seven, which is built on the 700 action.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Go down to the local gun guy and get yourself a catalog.......you`ll soon see the difference...while you`re there, ask the guy who sells them to point out the differences AND prices to you......some of the advice here is correct and some isn`t.....you have been somewhat confused so far.....get a catalog...study it.....[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top