Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2001 9:52:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I was working midnights in San Diego for a while while living in central Orange County, CA. This was an hour and a half drive, and coming home in the morning was murder trying to stay awake.

A co-worker suggested sunflower seeds. Get the kind that are still in the shell, and it gives you something to do and concentrate on what won't take your mind off the road. You throw a small handful of seeds in your mouth, then have to get them, one at a time, between your teeth to break the shell open, then chomp the nut, then spit the shell into an empty Gatorade bottle, or whatever, and go to the next one. It worked for me. Good luck.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Every once in a while I would do a midnight run home from Santa Barbara where I was going to school.  A couple of times I had to park at the Chevron in King City and just nap for twenty minutes.  I would then gas the car, get a Coke and be good for the rest of the two and a half hours.  Sometimes you just gotta rest.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Books on tape.  They were a godsend for the long hauls.  Time passes quickly and they do a good job of keeping you awake.  Is UC on tape yet? [;)]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
DVD Tracker,

Well, I'm not a trucker but once a month I have to be gone for 4-5 days to see crops in other states. These trips are usually 12-16 hour days, mostly spent driving. I read a couple months ago that many of the things we think reduce drowsiness don't work - so while these maybe aren't supposed to work, here's what I do:

Eat just 2 meals a day - Breakfast and supper. After a meal mid-day it is almost impossible for me to shake off drowsiness.

Chew gum; play freezeout w/the airconditioner; think about stuff for work (plan out the day, crops for next year, etc.); and of course, drink coffee. I used to do the no-doze thing, but after one memorable 17 hour day on the road it felt like I had been stomped on when I tried to sleep that night.

And of course, a good night's sleep ALWAYS does wonders.

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
5-7 minute naps are about right.
You MUST have a short nap, at least, to energize yourself, if you are getting drowsy behind the wheel.  It has to become feasible.  

I know what you're feeling, and I get a few minutes at the end of the line when it gets like that.  No matter what.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is cold out, open up all the windows.  Or like someone said, turn up the A/C to the freeze area.   Play loud music you can't stand and yell/sing along as loud as you can.

I'm lucky,  I've never felt sleepy while driving.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]
If I am really drowzy, like after driving 12-13 hours already, I find that I just have to stop every hour and get out of the car and strech my legs and get some more coffee.  That has worked for me so far...

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]
When the eyelids start getting heavy, start taking deep controlled breaths.  That will provide some relief.  Change positions, straighten up the seat, do mental math problems.

Deep breathing always helps keep the drowsiness away.  Don't just fight the eyelids, because you will eventually lose.  Breathe deep, relax, and engage the mind.

Works every time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're getting drowsy on a regular basis in the same vehicle, check your exhaust system for any leaks.  Carbon Monoxide is an oderless, colorless, tasteless gas that's a by-product of the emmisions of your car.  It bonds faster to your hemoglobin than oxygen, so the oxygen, even if present, doesn't get into your bloodstream and to your brain.  I'm a truck driver, and one of my previous employers had a truck that would just put you to sleep if you had the windows up.  Everyone who drove it felt the same way, and we could never find the leak.  Still, there was almost no doubt that CO was leaking in the cab somehow.

Even if there is no leaks, the airflow around your vehicle, with the differing pressures because of that airflow, may cause CO to be drawn into the passenger compartment.  Again, you can smell exhaust, but not CO and you won't notice it.  You just feel sleepier and sleepier.

I driven for one of the FED-EX companies for over the last 6 years.  I drive predominately at night.  The key is to know your body and recognize the signs.  If you start falling asleep, pull over in a rest stop or such and catch a 15min "power-nap".  Coffee, etc, will help, but stay away from drugs as much as possible (like no-doze).  They'll keep you awake, but your reflexes and judgment will be worse even though you feel like you're responding better.  Also it will make it harder to catch a nap when you need to.

Each body is different in the amount of rest it needs.  If you get sleepy, sleep.  It's simple as that.  It may not only be the lack of sleep, but the lack of quality sleep.  Many people sleep really poorly, but never know it, and feel run down quickly.  There may be other health problems, like diabeties, heart condition, etc that can affect both your sleep and your ability to stay awake.  Above all, pay attention to what your body's telling you.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Howz about holding a cigarette lighter under the white part of your forearm while the stereo is blasting Rammstein?

(Thank you G. Gordon Liddy!!!!)
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I learned the hard way. Was coming back from a early morning goose hunt, and fell asleep at the wheel. Woke up just as my truck hit the ditch at 65mph. Well, after about 6 revolutions, the truck landed right side up, with me sitting in the passenger seat. I looked over and saw that I had broken off the floor shifter. To make a long story short, my spleen was all busted up. I lost about 2 liters of blood by the time an ambulance arrived and got me to the hospital. Ambulance driver was sure I was dead at the scene, judging from the wreckage. Guy in the car behind me said the truck's topper flew up about 100' when I went over. Fortunately, they saved my spleen. I got a second chance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know anything about it, but I heard there's a medical condition that mimics your symptoms.
Talk to your doctor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I listen to talk radio have the window open and as a last resort I pull over and walk around the truck a couple of times. If these things don't do the trick I stop and take a nap.
The walking around the car thing really helps out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I fell asleep on my motorcycle once. Woke up as the bike wandered to the side and started to wiggle in the gravel at the side of the road. Yikes!
BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Following up on 7 post, he is correct.Also try eating or chewing on a cup of ice. As long as your body is cold it will be very hard to fall asleep.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Skoal Bandits have a rather light nicotine dose that will keep a non regular users buzzing and driving till the cows come home. A little casual use won't hurt one like hitting a culvert. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
For late night / early morning drives under 4 hours with little to no sleep before hand. I get the largest coke the local AM/PM has and drink it real slow through a straw. That usually lasts for about an 30-40 minutes.  After that I usually have to take a piss. There's nothing like having to piss real bad to keep you awake. It's always worked for me.  

Larry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Drive drowsy.  Heck, I have fallen asleep at the wheel.  When I was in college, I used to work swing shift.  Sometimes the guy working graves would call in sick, and I would work a double (I needed the money).  A few times coming home I totally zonked out.  One minute I am fighting to keep my eyes open, only to wake up several miles later wondering if I ran the traffic lights.  How I avoided crashing I'll never know.  I am older and wiser, and make sure I have plenty of sleep before getting behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Food is a good one. Your body goes through some physiological changes when you eat. Eating is essential for life, and you can't eat while you are asleep, therefore your body reacts to the incoming food by releasing enzymes necessary for digestion which in turns keeps you awake.

Road noise is a big culprit in falling sleep at the wheel. The constant hum and vibration lull you to sleep like a baby. This is the main reason why I use a white sound machine to help me fall asleep. I never hear the 15 minute timer turn off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top