Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2001 9:25:29 AM EDT
What kinda setup are you using as far as power of scope and what kinda accuracy can you get to what yrds?

I have an extra 3-9x40 I thought about throwing on mine, but want to know, would a higher power scope be better or any good at all? (say an 6-18x40)

I know there are alot of variables like setup, mount and type of gun its on, but I'm just mainly curious if close to varmit type accuracy can be achieved on an A2 setup?

Thanks

Jack
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm shooting mine with a B-Square mount, and a Tasco 6-24x 40mm scope. I can get sub MOA 3 shot groups, 5 shots pushes it just over though. You can get accuracy, but getting a proper, consistent cheek weld and still looking through that high scope is difficult.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
IAJack, I gave up on carry handle mounted scopes and went to flattop receivers.  The scope is just too darn high on a carry handle.  Scoped ARs should get at least 1.5" 100 yard groups.  Mine do better than that with my pet gun/load more like 1/2".  I used cheek pieces with carry handle mounts.  They still are not a great solution.  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
22" BB and 3-12X52 Tasco Euroclass, SS lower and ASA upper I can shoot about 1-11/2" at 300yd with no problem using AE55FMJBT
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~dalecon/_uimages/AR-15[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a HBAR 6600 with an ARMS mount with Burris Zee Rings with a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 on it. I have shot this rifle since about 88 in IPSC with different scopes on it have have never had any problems with the A2 mount set up. Off the sand bags with Fed Match I get around an inch, with Fed 62 American Eagle it is good for just under 2" to 1.5", all at 100 yards. I have a Bushy AK Shorty A2 I just got and used the Smith Enterprise Tatical Mount with an Aimpoint that I now shoot in IPSC (had a Leupold M8 2.5x Compact on it for a while, now it is on the FAL). With the Aimpoint there is no paralex (spell check?) error at all so the whole check weld/scope height is also.....no issue. The Bushy will also get just under 2" @ 100 yds with the 62 gr Fed AmEagle. The other issue you need to consider is the trigger. I have a Jewel @ DCM 4.5 lbs in the HBAR and the Bushy has a JP @ 2.75 lbs, super crisp. I have used a Colt cheek piece and it worked fine, held my head in the exact spot again and again, don't know why it wouldn't work for you if you feel yu need it. I shoot off bags a lot and got rid of it because I started to shoot DCM/CMP with the HBAR. If you do get a flat top, you will need either a spacer or high enoough rings to get the scope high enough to see through, I have seen a few that are just too low to see through.
Good luck, my free 2¢

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Accuracy was not a problem (I had a scope mounted on my AR-10A2). The problem was consistency, since it was a bit difficult to tighten that single knurled screw such that it did not loosen. Others here may not have that problem. Especially with a .223. The higher mag scope worked fine (I used a 3.5-10X as well as a 6.5-20X scope). As someone else had done, I eventually gave-up on the A2 and went to a flat-top (10TLW).
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Now, Y'all don't laugh at my scope. It's a 50 yr old Lyman that Seibert worked over to a 25 power. It's been used on every rifle I have had for the last 20 yrs to work up loads, and it's good. Just LLOONNGG. Below that is the last group I shot 2 weeks ago.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/038/Lg/lg/n3/xx55297.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/qv/c5/GC/IB74015.jpg[/img]
BTW, that is a 200 yrd group
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top