BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2006 4:00:48 PM EDT
anti-dupe keywords: NRA, confiscation

abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1972662&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

New NRA Campaign Asks Lawmakers to Pledge Not to Confiscate Guns in Times of Crisis
Ad Campaign Begins Tomorrow, NRA Reacts to Hurricanes Katrina, Rita

By JAKE TAPPER and AVERY MILLER

May 17, 2006 — The National Rifle Association is fired up.

ABC News has learned that the powerful gun group will launch a new campaign on Thursday when it convenes its annual convention in Milwaukee, Wis. It will demand that police chiefs and mayors pledge to never confiscate weapons from law-abiding citizens in the wake of disasters such as hurricanes or terrorist attacks.

"We are going to ask every mayor and every police chief in America to take a pledge that they will never go door-to-door confiscating firearms from law-abiding citizens," Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the NRA, told ABC News in an exclusive interview airing this evening on "World News Tonight."

"We're also going to go to state legislatures and Congress to pass legislation to make it a federal and a state crime for anyone that gives those orders and carries them out," he added.

The organization officials maintains that after Hurricane Katrina, law enforcement officers in Louisiana confiscated firearms from law-abiding gun owners

"We can't allow these local tyrannies to exist after disaster hits where they throw the Constitution out the window," LaPierre said. "That's what the police chief in New Orleans did."

And LaPierre this issue is one that resonates with gun owners.

"The lesson of New Orleans is all the people that said the police, the government would protect you could not be trusted. All the politicians that said 'We'll be there' couldn't keep that promise," LaPierre said. "Citizens were completely on their own against robbers, against looters, and if they didn't have a firearm they were completely defenseless against the bad guys."

New York Lawmakers Object

The NRA, one of the most powerful lobbying organizations in Washington, said its members are outraged by stories of rampant gun confiscation by New Orleans law enforcement in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"If we found a person who was walking the street with a weapon, then did we disarm them? Did we take the weapon? Did we arrest them? Yes, we did," said Warren Riley, superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department. "We were not going into homes and disarming citizens and taking their weapons." LYING SCUMBAG!! THE VIDEOS DON'T LIE!!

Louisiana law enforcement officials acknowledged that some guns were taken but said the NRA has misunderstood how widespread confiscation was and that there was no official order.

But the NRA pointed to comments made by the police chief at the time, Eddie Compass, who said "no one" could be armed. "We'll take the weapons," Compass said.

Gun control advocates greeted the news of the NRA's new campaign with outrage.

"This shows the NRA at its worst, at its most extreme," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a longtime advocate of gun control. "To put handcuffs around police officers who are doing their jobs for some crazy way-out-there view that police officers want to confiscate guns of law-abiding citizens is to make a mistake. If I were Mayor Bloomberg or [New York] Police Chief [Ray] Kelly, or any other law enforcement officer, I'd say to the NRA, 'Make my day.'" FUCK YOU!

The NRA intends to make this a major issue in the midterm elections this November. The NRA said that starting in October, it would buy television time in targeted states to run an NRA television show that would include testimonies from Louisiana gun owners about gun confiscation.

"Citizens were completely on their own against robbers, against looters," LaPierre said. "And if they didn't have a firearm they were completely defenseless against the bad guys."

The NRA's opponents said that powerful and successful as the gun lobby has proved itself to be, it often fails when it takes on law enforcement.

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Rock on NRA.

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the NRA...

and shame on the gun owners who aren't members
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The NRA is bad mmkay? I heard it here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope the commercials include video of in-home confiscations.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Well worth my membership.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I love the clip of the guy outside his huge house telling the cameras, "They were just scared cause our guns were bigger than theirs."

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1 for the NRA...

and shame on the gun owners who aren't members

Yup, The old "They sent me junk mail 15 years ago." excuse for not belonging to one of the ONLY groups that stands up for our rights is plain silly.  It's an effective voice for all of us and this is proven every time Chucky Shumer and his crew squeal like bitches about an NRA press release.... I've been doing the 3 or 5 year deal but this year I may go lifetime...  The junk mail isn't as bad as it used to be if that'll swing more folks to joining...
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Instead of renewing my yearly membership, I changed to Easy Pay Life.  Will be a lifetime member by Jan 2007.

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
For all the NRA bashers.........SCREW.

Where is GOA's ad?
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll give Schumer 10 bucks to shut up
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
[whiners]but the NRA never does anything[/whiners]
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I just renewed my membership for 2 more years.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]

"This shows the NRA at its worst, at its most extreme," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a longtime advocate of gun control. "To put handcuffs around police officers who are doing their jobs for some crazy way-out-there view that police officers want to confiscate guns of law-abiding citizens is to make a mistake. If I were Mayor Bloomberg or [New York] Police Chief [Ray] Kelly, or any other law enforcement officer, I'd say to the NRA, 'Make my day.'"

Make your day?!?!?!

Try to take my guns when I need them most, and I'll make the rest of your fucking life!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"This shows the NRA at its worst, at its most extreme," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a longtime advocate of gun control. "To put handcuffs around police officers who are doing their jobs for some crazy way-out-there view that police officers want to confiscate guns of law-abiding citizens is to make a mistake. If I were Mayor Bloomberg or [New York] Police Chief [Ray] Kelly, or any other law enforcement officer, I'd say to the NRA, 'Make my day.'"

Make your day?!?!?!

Try to take my guns when I need them most, and I'll make the rest of your fucking life!!!

You would have to get past his ARMED bodyguards!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Way to go NRA, I'm glad they're using my dues for more than just stickers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

and if they actually do something about evil black guns I might just join
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell you what, don't bother. Sit back and chug your fuckin' beer while we write the checks for you.

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you an idiot?

By the time you stop making excuses and we lose our black guns, it will be too late.

If you were actually a concerned, contributing member, you would know how stupid you sound.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
anti-dupe keywords: NRA, confiscation

abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1972662&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

New NRA Campaign Asks Lawmakers to Pledge Not to Confiscate Guns in Times of Crisis
Ad Campaign Begins Tomorrow, NRA Reacts to Hurricanes Katrina, Rita

"We are going to ask every mayor and every police chief in America to take a pledge that they will never go door-to-door confiscating firearms from law-abiding citizens," Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the NRA, told ABC News in an exclusive interview airing this evening on "World News Tonight."

"We're also going to go to state legislatures and Congress to pass legislation to make it a federal and a state crime for anyone that gives those orders and carries them out," he added.

I certainly do applaud their effort.

But man-oh-man; talk about asking for the moon.

Regardless, this is good-on-'em.  And I expect nothing less from that fine organization.  

And pay up, you slackers!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I posted some time back that I attended an NRA meeting in Chocolate City (N.O.).
The purpose of the meeting was to speak to victims of the gun grabs to get info/people to use in material to show the rest of the counrty that this actually happened.
Wayne Lapierre stated that all around the country the majority of people didn't believe this happened when he spoke about it and about ALL of 'em said that it couldn't happen to them.
If you aren't an NRA member, you suck. Save your crying and excuses for your post on DU.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]
For you folks who renewed their membership, I don't think any of your being is being spent for this "crusade."   I would venture a guess that it is most like ILA money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I think this is a bold fucking move by the NRA. Bold move. This is right up there with demanding that the '86 MG ban be repealed.

There was a time when I thought the NRA was a bunch of rich pussies feeding off our tit, but after the AWB went away and the junk lawsuit immunity law was passed, I have a different opinion of the organization now.

No other group is accomplishing what the NRA is accomplishing. Join up and do your part to keep us moving in the right direction.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]

I believe there's a huge group who would love to make your day Chuck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#25]
The antis and New Orleans PD should also explain why NO hasnt given all the lawfully owned guns back to their owners in NO yet...........all the while hiding behind having to do background checks and not having the means to do it............I hope the NRA kicks the shit out of the antis this time really good
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
This was on world news tonight.  Rudy Guiliani was critizing the NRA for this.

Or at least I thought it was Rudy.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make your day?!?!?!

You would have to get past his ARMED bodyguards!

Old Chuckie has one of the most mythical of rare beasts, a NYC CCW permit. I wonder if his carry piece is a TEC-9.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Holy shit you pussies, it's 35 lousy fucking dollars a year!  Who cares if they aren't the be all, perfect fucking organization 100% of the time.  Throw the cash at it and forget about it.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you an idiot?

By the time you stop making excuses and we lose our black guns, it will be too late.

If you were actually a concerned, contributing member, you would know how stupid you sound.

yeah I'm sure they're just waiting on $35 from a certain guy from Tucson, Arizona to go after the 86 MG ban

even a broken watch is right twice a day, if they keep stuff like this up I'll support them.  I'm not convinced.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are fuckin kidding

right even a broken watch is right twice a day, if they keep stuff like this up I'll support them. I'm not convinced.

That is so pathetic.  How the hell do you suppose they fight for the things "you" want when don't even provide them any resources to do so?  The whole world does not revolve around "you"
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are fuckin kidding right?  

besides this, show me something they've done for us "ugly gun" owners besides flood our mailboxes with 15 pounds of crap every month(hell this isnt even really for ugly guns, just confiscation of any gun).  I'm starting to warm up to these guys, the DPMS 308 as gun of the year was a nice gesture.  however their track record still sucks
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are fuckin kidding

right even a broken watch is right twice a day, if they keep stuff like this up I'll support them. I'm not convinced.

That is so pathetic.  How the hell do you suppose they fight for the things "you" want when don't even provide them any resources to do so?  The whole world does not revolve around "you"

exactly right, the world does not revolve around me, so why are they waiting for my contribution to actually get off their asses for "ugly guns"
oh yeah, probably because they dont care about us and are more interested in keeping the fudds happy
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted: exactly right, the world does not revolve around me, so why are they waiting for my contribution to actually get off their asses for "ugly guns" oh yeah, probably because they dont care about us and are more interested in keeping the fudds happy
Hey TRH, you're anti-God and anti-NRA. Have you ever questioned why you have a membership here?
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Ummm.....

Isn't confiscation of property without due process a violation of the 4th Amendment?  

Why aren't we talking felony violation of civil rights charges?  

Or does that only work against white people?
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted: exactly right, the world does not revolve around me, so why are they waiting for my contribution to actually get off their asses for "ugly guns" oh yeah, probably because they dont care about us and are more interested in keeping the fudds happy
Hey TRH, you're anti-God and anti-NRA. Have you ever questioned why you have a membership here?

Expired :: 5/13/2006

but I'll re-up for the search function.

and what does being an atheist have to do with this?
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

besides this, show me something they've done for us "ugly gun" owners besides flood our mailboxes with 15 pounds of crap every month(hell this isnt even really for ugly guns, just confiscation of any gun).  I'm starting to warm up to these guys, the DPMS 308 as gun of the year was a nice gesture.  however their track record still sucks

You seem to forget what tey did less than than 2 f'in years ago.  15 pounds of crap every month? WTF are you talking about?  I might get a total of 4 things every month from them and thats including my magazine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#37]
The NRA found its balls again?  I may have to rejoin if so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Agreed 100%.

As soon as they have the balls to seriously take a stand against the unconstitutional laws that are continually pushed on us, I will join.

Despite you people that hate me because I'm not a member, keep in mind that the NRA is the most powerful lobby in Congress right now.  More powerful than AARP.  More powerful than AFL-CIO.  The NRA is the MOST powerful lobby in the country, even without my money and TRH's money.

And they can only gain MORE members by continuing to stick up for what's right.  If they continue to do the right thing for America, I will join, but as of now, they're doing nothing for me or anyone else in occupied states like Illinois.

Quoted:

and what does being an atheist have to do with this?

Don't worry man.  It's what conservatives do.  They insult me (even though I'm a Christian) every time I bring up the first amendment.  It's just the way it is.  They fail to understand the danger of religion being involved in decisions of public policy.  It's an ignorance thing.

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You seem to forget what tey did less than than 2 f'in years ago.  15 pounds of crap every month? WTF are you talking about?  I might get a total of 4 things every month from them and thats including my magazine.

WHAT DID THEY DO?  NOTHING! politicians did NOTHING and it lapsed.  remember what happened to congress after they passed it the first time?  they didnt want that to happen a second time.  granted the NRA had some influence on this but attributing the fall of the AWB solely to the NRA is just stupid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted: Expired :: 5/13/2006 but I'll re-up for the search function. and what does being an atheist have to do with this?
I'm just hassling you while trying to save your SOUL!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Why does the new media think NY and CA politicians should be the only ones to decide what is best for the country? Fuck you, SCHUMER!
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted: Expired :: 5/13/2006 but I'll re-up for the search function. and what does being an atheist have to do with this?
I'm just hassling you while trying to save your SOUL!

if your religion is right after all, I know exactly where I'd end up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Im joining the NRA in the next month when the rest of my bills are in order

they're the only 800lb gorilla that we have fighting for us
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you an idiot?

yeah I'm sure they're just waiting on $35 from a certain guy from Tucson, Arizona to go after the 86 MG ban

even a broken watch is right twice a day, if they keep stuff like this up I'll support them.  I'm not convinced.

No, they're hoping for $35 from thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of gun owners. Then they would have the money to do what their members want. And they would have the numbers (read: NRA members who VOTE) and political clout to really go to work for us.

Of course, if you don't send the money, then you're not a member, and they won't listen to your concerns.

Let me put this into perspective with some numbers (forgive me if I'm a little off on these numbers, I'm going from memory):

*There are 300 million people in the U.S.

*There are 80 million gun owners in the U.S.

*There are 3 million NRA members.

*There were 100 million voters in the 2004 national elections.

Now imagine if half of the gun owners in America were NRA members. Imagine if the NRA lobbyists went to politicians and said "I represent 40 million voting gun owners". Imagine what they could do.

Let me spell it out very plainly: If you're an NRA member, you get to have a say in what the NRA fights for, and the NRA gets to use your membership as part of the larger number of members when they demonstrate their political influence.

So, if you want to think small, no the NRA doesn't need your membership. Then again, neither does your political party, your church, or your branch of military service.

Strength lies not so much in the individual, but in that he is willing to be a part of a team.
--edit for spelling, and to remove an unnecessary derogatory remark. My apologies TRH--

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Im joining the NRA in the next month when the rest of my bills are in order

they're the only 800lb gorilla that we have fighting for us

This feller "Gets it".....  Thanks, By doing that you'll do more than most.  So few gun owners and 2nd amendment "supporters" are members, it's a wonder we can have anything but slingshots.  If not for the NRA we would be in much worse shape than we're in now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I was not going to join the NRA, just because I thought they were just redneck weirdos who would spout off tin foil theories like the UN invading to piss off other redneck weirdos.

This action that they have taken however, is well rooted in the realm of reality.

How do I join, without having them send me junk mail and calling me for donations like the members here complain about?
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#47]
membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=default

Right column, top button. $10 1 year.

I don't know about the mail adds, but there is no magazine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I was not going to join the NRA, just because I thought they were just redneck weirdos who would spout off tin foil theories like the UN invading to piss off other redneck weirdos.

This action that they have taken however, is well rooted in the realm of reality.

How do I join, without having them send me junk mail and calling me for donations like the members here complain about?

First you join, the you call them and ask them not to send you solicitations.

Then, every now and then when you've got a few extra bucks, you send them a small donation. Even 5 or 10 bucks will help.
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed 100%.

As soon as they have the balls to seriously take a stand against the unconstitutional laws that are continually pushed on us, I will join.

Despite you people that hate me because I'm not a member, keep in mind that the NRA is the most powerful lobby in Congress right now.  More powerful than AARP.  More powerful than AFL-CIO.  The NRA is the MOST powerful lobby in the country, even without my money and TRH's money.

And they can only gain MORE members by continuing to stick up for what's right.  If they continue to do the right thing for America, I will join, but as of now, they're doing nothing for me or anyone else in occupied states like Illinois.

/snip

Are you freaking kidding me!? AWB expiring ring any bells?

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#50]
What's sad is that they have to protect something that's already protected.

I'm a member and if you're not, well then....join.  Hell, spend the $10 and forget the damn magazine and join.

C'mon, guys...this is a no-brainer.

HH
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top