Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 5:51:46 AM EDT
Any suggestions, gentlemen?  I've been looking at the CETME, the various FAL parts guns (if one believes the ads in SGN, EVERYBODY has the best FAL receiver and the competition are all making theirs out of compressed dogshytte), a bottom o' the line M1A, MAS 49/56 conversions (I don't trust these despite several people singing their praises), G3 parts guns, etc.  As a group, you guys know an enormous amount about guns, so help me out here with some recommendations.  My previous experience in this area is limited to brief ownership of a Polytech M-14 that sucked ass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
This seems like bargain:

[url]http://www.gunsnammo.com/index_files/riflesmain2.htm[/url]

My polytech was so-so until I had Smith Enterprises rework the receiver for a USGI bolt. But then we start to approach $1k...
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm getting a DSA STG58A with 1000rd ammo 5 mags a DSA scope mount for $1,013.00 that is with shipping and Tax for me buying the Mags and scope mount from DSA and for $1,080.00 you can get the same thing but with 10 mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Eagle arms AR-10.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with the DSA STG58.
You can get the rifle and extra mags for a 1000.00
or under.
I just got a STG58 with 5 add'l new 20 rnd. mags and scope mount for 1000.00 bucks, I love it!!!

If you got a little more cash I also like the Armalite AR-10s, $1200.00 with one 10 rnd mag.
More mags can get real costly FAST!!!

If you want something different go with the FAL, if you want something like your AR-15 and you have a extra cash get the AR-10.

Ybbeat
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The Eagle arms AR-10 is under $1000. and yes the mags are spendy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Golgo-13 -
Check out this thread [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=45505[/url] for lots of CETME information.

Also check the Meeetings and Events forum for info about a bunch of us meeting at the big ginshow in Harrisburg, PA on Saturday.  It usually a very good show and they'll be a bunch of us there you can talk to and ask questions about our 308 experiences.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an AR-10A2 for about a year, it had the factory Match Trigger, the ARMS Extended mount and a 4x12x44 Nikon Monarch scope on it. I had six mags that were the Armalite kits, which were Armalite factory converted M-14 mags with my springs and floorplates, these puppys ran about $85 each with all the shipping and so forth.
I fooled around trying to fall in love with that rifle for a long time untill I got an Arizona Response Systems (ARS) Stg-58 FAL, then I sold it, and never looked back.
The AR-10 went back to the factory for the bolt recall, had the the factory polish out the chamber because of terrible extraction problems and never really got the $85 mags to work good enough to shoot an IPSC match with it. The accuracy was just ok, shot 2-2.5 inch with most stuff, Fed Match was good for 1.5 and surplus was good for about 3 or so.
I got the FAL and it didn't jam at all with the $6 mags and it got the same size groups with it's iron sights and a military (read "heavy") trigger. I just put a DSA scope mount on it with a Leupold M8 2.5x Scope and that is a blast. It is not a sniper rifle, it is a battle rifle. It is not super accurate, but it is super reliable, my AR-10 was neither, but it was more expensive!
I'd buy a DSA Stg rifle to stay under 1k, it is "the right arm of the free world"
battle proven by 80 countries.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out www.aimsurplus.com They have exc. condition STG-58's on Imbel metric receivers for $495.00.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I was looking for the same thing as you just about 2 weeks ago. The rifles I was looking at was the STG58A,G3, M1A and AR-10.

Well the M1A got cut out do to the price of the rifle and the price of the mags.

The G3 as I was told had a more of a felt recoil then the other rifles(Don't know if that's true or not that is what I was told.)And the mags where at the $39 for one mag.

The AR-10 was a lot of money and the mags cost a lot more then I was willing to pay for and from what I read they are not as accurate and reliable as the other 3.

The STG58 the mags where low $5 a pop. You could get a lot of nice stocks like the M1A. But the bad thing is that a lot of people talk about if you don't get a DSA rifle your rolling the dice.

Now the DSA is a little more but it is backed by a life time warranty has a hard case and a nice folding Bi-pod that comes with it. Yes you could get all of that with ammo and mags for less then the cost of a DSA but you at lest know if you have a problem with the gun DSA will fix it. They also have a higher resale value then the other STG58.

This is just some info on what I found out I hope it helps you.

Rifle $805. W/shipping and FFL
Ammo 1000 rd $109.00 W/shipping

From DSA
Scope mount $68.00
Mags $5

4 mags and 1 scope mount $96.00 W/shipping

In all $1,010.00
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm.Now for something completly differnt.[center][img]
http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/mas/Mas.jpg[/img][/center]

[url]http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/mas/mas.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You cant go wrong with a FAL,  cheap mags, lots of spare parts are available.  I built one,  Its  an Imbel receiver ona an Imbel kit. Its reliable and accurate shooting surplus ammo. They are sooo good even Hesse can make one shoot!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw this ad in Gunsamerica.  If you take into account the $150 in accessories you would be under $1000.

M1A 308CAL BL SYN 10RD
GA# 976101851 $1,115.00 FACTORY NEW 2001 TO YOU IN BOX SPRINGFIELD MODEL M1A IN 308 CAL IN BLACK SYNTETIC STOCK WITH 10 RD MAG *** PURCHASE BEFORE APRIL, 30, 2001 AND RECIEVE $ 150.00 DOLLARS IN ACCESORIES FROM SPRINGFIELD*** 9106
Seller: CRITERION ARMS CORPORATION
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had an AR-10A2 for about a year, it had the factory Match Trigger, the ARMS Extended mount and a 4x12x44 Nikon Monarch scope on it. I had six mags that were the Armalite kits, which were Armalite factory converted M-14 mags with my springs and floorplates, these puppys ran about $85 each with all the shipping and so forth.
I fooled around trying to fall in love with that rifle for a long time untill I got an Arizona Response Systems (ARS) Stg-58 FAL, then I sold it, and never looked back.
The AR-10 went back to the factory for the bolt recall, had the the factory polish out the chamber because of terrible extraction problems and never really got the $85 mags to work good enough to shoot an IPSC match with it. The accuracy was just ok, shot 2-2.5 inch with most stuff, Fed Match was good for 1.5 and surplus was good for about 3 or so.
I got the FAL and it didn't jam at all with the $6 mags and it got the same size groups with it's iron sights and a military (read "heavy") trigger. I just put a DSA scope mount on it with a Leupold M8 2.5x Scope and that is a blast. It is not a sniper rifle, it is a battle rifle. It is not super accurate, but it is super reliable, my AR-10 was neither, but it was more expensive!
I'd buy a DSA Stg rifle to stay under 1k, it is "the right arm of the free world"

Bill
View Quote

I did the same..........sorta, I bought a L1A1 to replace my AR10.  Now I am looking to swap my AR10 for another FAL type rifle.  Everything on an FAL is battle proven.  Magazines are very affordable (I wouldn't call anything about these rifles [b]cheap[/b]).  The AR10 is a good rifle, but the FAL is better, in so many ways.  

OSA
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bill
View Quote

Yeah! What he said [:)]

I've had a similiar experience. Loved/wanted to love my AR10 but there where always little issues that kept cropping up. Then got the Springfield M1A & it was extremely reliable but
didn't care for the ergonomics.
 Then I got a DSA SA58 & fell in love [:D]
Sold the M1A & Armalite & I'm having a gunsmith build a custom HB DSA FAL next.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hmmmm.Now for something completly differnt.[center][img]
http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/mas/Mas.jpg[/img][/center]

[url]http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/mas/mas.html[/url]
View Quote

That's CooL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top