Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 4:00:01 AM EDT
I rarely use the stuff.  The smell is bad enough for me, but I've used it (outside mostly) as a quick and dirty fix for squeeky car doors hinges, my pickup truck's tailgate, etc.

I understand that it isn't actually a lubricant at all?
That it's more of a penetrating solvent?
That it leaves a residue that can get gummy and then one needs to use more of it to clean up its own gummy residue?
The gummy residue can attract more dirt.
That it is hydroscopic?  I thought it was a water dispersant.
That it prevents rust?
That it CAUSES rust?  

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I use it to clean the OUTSIDE of my guns only if I have been out in the rain.  I then follow up the cleaning with CLP and this seems to work well.  I have also used it to help get the breach plug loose from my muzzleloader but using it as a lube is bad, bad bad.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I rarely use the stuff.  The smell is bad enough for me.....

If you don't like the smell, you aren't a man.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Its main fuction is to push water away from metal to prevent oxidation/corrosion

WD=water displacement
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#4]
WD-40 is a gift from God.

It is half of the end-all, be-all formula:

What shouldn't move and does, duct tape.
What should move and doesn't, WD-40.

WD-40 can do anything, even make Wolf ammo safe to use in ARs.

I snort it on weekends.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Good for removing bumper stickers, too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#6]
water displacement formula 40   it's good  for that and with the help of mr lighter is makes a great spider/wasp killer
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
heres a 300 uses list for wd40 www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_no_mess_pen_300_uses.cfm
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its main fuction is to push water away from metal to prevent oxidation/corrosion

WD=water displacement

Bingo.

WD40 is  not a lubricant.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#9]
WD-40 is notmuch more than kerosene.  It is good for flushing out water, but as a lubricant it sucks.  As for rust prevention, it sucks, ordinary vaseline is far better.  I just don't have any use for it, there are many other products that do a better job.

A hair dryer gets off bumper stickers.  OK, WD-40 is good for cleaning off the residue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I never use it on guns unless some part is stuck due to corrosion, or the gun has been sitting for years and the oil has turned hard and gotten the parts stuck together.

I mainly use WD40 to ease the disassemble of any screws/nuts/bolts that are frozen due to corrosion.

WD40 is a solvent and will dissolve lubricants. I also use WD40 to clean up any oil spills on my garage floor.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I never use it on guns, unless an old mag gets rusty.

Mainly, I use it to clean up rust before I add a lubricant.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay.
So, I should view it as a cleaner, solvent, stuck parts loosener, water displacer, but NOT as a lubricant.
AND that it's probably a good idea to wipe it off of whatever one uses it on and then properly lubricate that item with an appropriate oil or grease.

Roger that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
A large componenet of WD-40 is fish oil made from Menhaden. That is problably why it has the unique odor. This is also why Reedville, VA is one of the top grossing commercial fishing ports in the US. We have to feed our kitty kats and our WD-40 consumers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I use WD-40 only for spraying down firearms exposed to rain, and for cleaning off dust/dirt/lint.

WD-40 was the only thing that I had (and thus the only thing that I used) to clean my M9 with while in Iraq.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
don't get it in your eyes
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]
WD40 is nothing more than kerosene in a spray can with a few additives. I should know, I've been selling it for the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
water displacement formula 40   it's good  for that and with the help of mr lighter is makes a great spider/wasp killer

Not supposed to be flamable anymore
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I rarely use the stuff.  The smell is bad enough for me.....

If you don't like the smell, you aren't a man.

+1
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
WD40 is nothing more than kerosene in a spray can with a few additives. I should know, I've been selling it for the last 30 years.

Wrong.

"What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents"

www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#20]
PB blaster
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#21]
PB blaster is a far superior product.  So is Kroil.

www.blasterproducts.com/

www.kanolabs.com/

www.enviropluslubrication.com/kroil.html
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#22]
WD works great on my race bikes expansion chamber after the power washer.  It seems to deter rust as well.
Oh, and it works great on fishing lures as an attractant for fish.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Look up the MSDS, WD-40 is primarily Stoddard solvent
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I rarely use the stuff.  The smell is bad enough for me, but I've used it (outside mostly) as a quick and dirty fix for squeeky car doors hinges, my pickup truck's tailgate, etc.

I understand that it isn't actually a lubricant at all?
That it's more of a penetrating solvent?
That it leaves a residue that can get gummy and then one needs to use more of it to clean up its own gummy residue?
The gummy residue can attract more dirt.
That it is hydroscopic?  I thought it was a water dispersant.
That it prevents rust?
That it CAUSES rust?  

What am I missing?

Silicone spray > WD40 as far as squeaks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I use white lithium for open hinges, PB blaster for rusty stuff, and kroil for most everything else.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I used it to remove any traces of water after cleaning some corrosive ammo.  Worked like a charm.  Followed up by a rinse of brake cleaner and relubed with CLP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]
At one time I used WD-40 on my firearms, then I found out the hard way that it would disolve locktite on scope base screws. So, I don't use it any more on firearms. I have used it to clean the chain on my motorbike before coating it with chain wax. Good to be able to do on the road.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I've used it for years to displace water after cleaning my black powder rifles (Shilo Sharps & TC Hawken)  it works great for that or any weapon you've used corrosive ammo in.  Other than than It's not good for much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
PB blaster is a far superior product.  So is Kroil.

www.blasterproducts.com/

www.kanolabs.com/

www.enviropluslubrication.com/kroil.html

PB Blaster rocks!  I was trying to take the exhaust off of my Porsche, which was not the original one for the engine, but who knows how long it was on there??  The bolts were pretty rusted.   Add some PB Blaster and a few minutes, and I was able to get them loose without much effort.  (one of the bolts was still a beeyotch, tho!)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]

WD40 should NEVER be used as a sexual lubricant....  

In all seriousness...  I use it for removing cosmoline.  Spray some on a paper towel, then wipe away the cosmoline with the WD-40 drenched paper towel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
WD-40 is great for getting gum out of kids hair.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've used it for years to displace water after cleaning my black powder rifles (Shilo Sharps & TC Hawken)  it works great for that or any weapon you've used corrosive ammo in.  Other than than It's not good for much.

That's the only reason I keep any around. I have a can in my blackpowder range box.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#33]
WD-40 IS a lubricant, just not a very good one in the long term.  It will dry up and get, for the lack fof a better term, gunky.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#34]
It's junk.

For solvents, use Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster instead.

For tailgates and door hinges, use white lithium grease. Or synthetic brake caliper grease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top