Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 4:14:22 PM EDT
They bulldozed a field near my house and a really big rat has taken up residence in my back yard.  The Lab and the Chihuahua have decided not to take this one on.  I was thinking about poisoning the rodent, but was wondering if the dogs would get sick if they ate the rat after it died.  Any ideas?  I should tell you, that I live in the city limits with old neighbors next door who would most likely call the cops if I was to go out and dispatch the critter with a shot gun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Suppressed .22 Puts CCI mini mags downrange w/ less noise than the Benjamin pellet rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Are those hard to come by?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are those hard to come by?  

Rats?  Nah.  They're pretty much all over the place.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
lightly roasted
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/ibdmentd/killitwithfire.jpg

+1

pour gas down its hole, stand back, throw burning match, and post pics.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
lightly roasted

i was thinking kabbobed...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

the most important part
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

My Dad had a friend when I was about 9 or 10 who had a problem with a ground squirrel.  He poured gas on the nest and lit it on fire.  The burning squirrel came running out, ran over to his house climbed the wall, and ran into an open window.  It caught the house on fire.  When the fire department showed up to his house, they about laughed themselves silly.  My Dad’s friend was known by this event for the rest of his life.  I may be slow, but fire is not an option.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Best way to do a RAT!

From Behind. They have horrible breath .  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Best way to do a RAT!

From Behind. They have horrible breath .  

The house next door to mine is a run-down trailer. The only trailer in town, matter of fact. Its pretty much abandoned, and we've been pushing to have it burnt or moved since we moved in. Its about 30 yards away.
Everytime someone goes in the fucker, I get a rat in my basement. The last one I caught was the size of a large grey squirrel.
My Mountain Fiest (squirrel dog) has caught a few in the backyard, as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
So what's wrong with a standard spring type rat trap? No need to reinvent the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So what's wrong with a standard spring type rat trap? No need to reinvent the wheel.

it's just not the ARFCOM way, nor as much fun
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's just not the ARFCOM way, nor as much fun

Sorry, I thought he wanted to be rid of the rat. Carry on Gentlemen...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You forgot about the wife’s Chihuahua.  6 lbs of high energy with Terrier like qualities.  If I accidentally trapped her dog I would be heart broken and possibly needing the services of a divorce attorney after 28 years of marriage.  The risk is too high.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot about the wife’s Chihuahua.  6 lbs of high energy with Terrier like qualities.  If I accidentally trapped her dog I would be heart broken and possibly needing the services of a divorce attorney after 28 years of marriage.  The risk is too high.

Surely you can put the trap somewhere the rat can get, but the dog can't. A cardboard box with a hole cut in it would do the job.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#18]
you gotta hang an anvil from a rope, over a limb of a tree, than hide with the rope in hand somewhere.  you bait the rat to a location under the limb with some yummy rat food.  when he goes to eat some, you let go of the rope.

OR

Any of the ACME roadrunner tricks will work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Any post on ARFCOM with:  How do you.....?
Is responded by:
1) Buy more guns
2) Kill it
3) Post pics (include new gun)

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
BBQ, with a honey mustard..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top