Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 2:23:28 PM EDT
I was looking at the torque wrench thread,and have to do this.

I am a mechanic, and I use tools all day long.  I want to say, stay away from MAC tools.
I got a MAC advantage account, about 3 years ago. I bought $5,000 dollars worth of there shit.
It is all junk. I will stick with Snap On from now on. I am just trying to warn you guys.

Snap On is the best.  You cant go wrong with Snap On  .                        

Rant Off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some Snap-On, but not a pro.  Craftsman is good enough for most of my needs, bought the Snap-On screwsrivers though, just because...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually use SK
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Craftsman is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Craftsman is good enough for me.

+1
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
in before the snap-on jizz brigade arrives.  (SOJiB)  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Craftsman is ok for the avg joe home fixer, but Craftsman hand tools wouldn't last a day for most contractors. Many moons ago when I was doing electrical and plumbing I bought a pair of craftsman side-cutters. They litteraly broke ever single day and I would stop by the mall everyday after work and get a new pair. This lasted 3 days and then I bought a pair made by Klein and they were strong and lasted a long time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to be a mechanic (or "technician" as many like to be called... ), and I always felt Snap On and Mac were about the same quality. Craftsman is OK for home use, but for me, it didn't seem to hold up on a day-to-day basis. I never liked their ratchets, and the older wrenches were a little soft. SK is pretty good now. They have some nice wrenches.

I still have all my stuff, but I got rid of the big tool box and picked up a more sensible sized Snap On arrangement (top, middle, and bottom) before I left the business. It's nice to have a better than usual home collection of tools, including some of the oddball stuff.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been out of the game for 5+ years now but I considered snap-on to generally fit into tighter spots but they were more expensive than anything else in many cases.

Mac was next, matco came after that, and since sk never came to the shop I never messed with them much but I rank them as pretty good.

Craftsman was on the bottom if playing mechanic for a living on big truck repairs, like medium duty and up truck sizes.

I have all sorts of brands in my tool box since now and then I would find used tools on the tool trucks or I would hear of a mechanic trying to sell some stuff.

I still recall the craftsman 13mm impact socket that would normally let me work on one ford twin traction beam frontend before it split open.  I got tired of trying to trade it in for a new one after doing this for a few weeks, we worked on all sorts of pickups as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a decent shade-tree mechanic and home repair man.

I use primarily Snap-On and Matco (some Craftsman.)

I don't care how good the warranty is - I want to buy tools ONCE.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I built, raced, and restored cars for over 20 years. Craftsman is good stuff, but a pro wrench should have Snap-On or Matco hand tools IMHO. Those two companies make a lot of good specialty tools too, if you can afford them. I used (and still use) Craftsman, and have returned maybe two wrenches, 5 or 6 ratchets, maybe 10 sockets, and countless screwdrivers over the years. They always just smiled and gave me a new one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
My tool belt at work is filled with Klein tools. I am an E-tech\hydraulic\combustion\everything guy.
Maybe a dozen years ago, they paid for a $$$ load of Craftsman tools for me, whatever I needed.
So, I got a nice set of toys, I mean tools, with which to wrench on my Beloved H-D friends, in the shop when things are slow. There are better tools, but Sears cost me -0- $ and aren't too bad.
And they are mine to keep. Have not broken anything, but then, I am more to the E-technical side of my craft. Just a perk to keep me happy and in their employment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top