Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2001 5:13:34 PM EDT
the little survival usgi pen flare device and the seven flares that come with them any idea what they go for and how hard are they to get ?
thanks jon
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know that too.  I have one with 2 flares left (shot the others!)  I have tried to locate extra flares but nobody has any.  Have you ever found spares?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
never saw any flares by themselfs just the whole kit maybe thats the only way they come?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
In order to help you out I need to know if the flares you are talking about are either the scre-on type or the push-in type?  From there I can give you a better understanding of exactly what you have.  Mantracker
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
signal kit personnel distress nsn 1370-00-490-7362 pen black push on type with green cord attached to red plastic flare holder and red flares with  tra89k001-008 written on them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
mantrcker any ideals?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Almost the same setup here, my flares screw onto the gun.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
somebody's gotta know?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
MB Associates of San Ramon CA made several 13MM pen flares for the millitary.
They also made what was called a "canopy buster" flare and a parachute flare too!

They also made the 13MM Gyrojet Rocket system which is soon to be improved.
Very soon.
Sooner then any of you know.Once it is, it will outclass every other small arm ever made.

Sooooooon my pretty.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
If they are the "push-on" types & not the "screw-on " ones, then what you have is called the "M-201(A/P 25S-5A)" or commonly called the "Gyrojets".  They were first used in the latter days of our involvemnet in Vietnam.  The old "screw-on" types(M-185/A/P22S-USAF isuue and the Mk-79 Mod 0-Navy issue) were found to be inadequite in penetrating jungle canopy that could be as high as +300'.  Gyrojets were then tested and found to be very adequite in penetrating the jungle canopy for SAR to find you.  They also went higher to around 1,100' and burned for approximately nine seconds.  The others only went to a height of around 200-250' and burned for only five to eight seconds.  As far as finding them, they are out there, but you have to know where to look.  They are expensive(anywhere from $100 to $200).  If kept in good condition they will last for a long time and make a perfect addition to any "survival kit".  And "YES" they are highly collectable and sought after by people like myself who collect "Aircrew Survival Equipment".  Any other questions?

Mantracker
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
thank you mantracker:
just have not had one before . picked it up along with a desalter kit in the orange plastic box and a ontario airforce type survival knife. thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Mantracker:  Are the screw on flares available?  Where could I find them?  Mine is marked US NAVY as you describe.  I "acquired" it during my time in the USAF in around 1990 so they were still in use at least in limited quantities at that time.  I have the empty casings from the ones I fired if they can be reloaded.  Any info on that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
...tra89k001-008 written on them.
View Quote

That's the lot number.  TRA is the manufacturer (can't remember who it is).  "89K" indicates date of contract/manufacture.  Used to demil these by firing.  Set the woods on fire, once.

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Mr.45auto:

The best way & the cheapest way that I know would be to go to E-Bay and in the "Search" box put in the following: Survival

From there you get a long list of items.  It will be hit or miss alot of times but this is one of the places I frequent inorder to find these kind of items.  Another good place is:  www.Auctionarms.com.  Go there and look under "Militaria" & "Survival".  They will have them sometimes also.  Again hit or miss.  Both of these place are cheaper in the long run than if you were to go to www.garciaaviaition.com or www.check6.com(Note:  I'm naming these of the top of my head, if they will not work let me know!).  Your Orange colored box that is a desalter is a somewhat a current issue item if it is a plastic box.  They are an interesting device at that.  They are collectable and cheap right now but like everything else when they start to run out the prices will go up.  They were placed in "Over Water Kits".  USAF makes three(3) different types of "Individual" seat(in the ejection seat pan) kits.  They are:  1) Individual Overwater Survival kit.  2) Individual Hot Climate Survival kit.  and 3) Individual Cold Climate Survival Kit.  Each one is unique to the enviroment that a pilot may find himself in if he were to half to eject.

Mantracker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top