Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 12:21:23 AM EDT
I'm not sure the exact reason why I have done what I have but basically I have digital pictures of all my guns (different angles and always at least one of each that shows the serial number). I also have scanned receipts for all of them, even warranty cards. This may sound really anal but I even have an excel sheet accounting for the number of each type of round that has ever been shot through these guns (ie. March 3rd, 2006 150 rds 60grn Remington FMJ, etc...)... I do wonder whether this practice could come back to bite me in the ass. Should I delete it all, encrypt it, or just keep it up? Is this something we should all be doing or have I just taken it a bit too far. I just feel that if I was ever questioned about something I could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how meticulous I've been about keeping records and such.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
In our time, it's a valuable tool, but if things get worse, put it to paper and into a safety deposit box and destroy the HD.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It really won't matter how careful and meticulous you've been, if the government wants to fuck you over, it will, and you won't be able to do a goddamn thing about it.

However, if you ever decide to sell any of your firearms, these records could help to make the sale and at the price you want.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]
All I keep is the paperwork for the purchase of the actual firearm.  All my stuff except my new AR is from California so it's complete and detailed (DROS forms) and actual store receipts.

Up here all I got was a cash register and credit card receipt.

I've wanted to do a formal photo log of everything so I'd have a record of mods, scopes, ect... but never have gotten around to it.

The purpose for this is simply in case I ever lose any by theft or fire (and to keep a record of what I paid in the VERY, VERY slim chance I'd ever sell one).

As for ammo and range time, not a frelling chance I'd spend one second on recordkeeping that minutia.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Really good idea for insurance purposes and you should store a copy on a flash drive or cd away from your home.  Precision shooters tend to keep pretty good records of the rounds down the barrel as an indicator of when to replace the barrel.  Most precision AR's get a new tube every 4000 rounds or so.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's ever stolen, pics of the guns can come in really handy...

I had a few of my guitars stolen a few years ago...

I happened to have a picture of one of 'em with a sticker of a red dragon in clear view that I used to put on all my stuff, and that's what got them back for me...

I still lost my silver coin collection, most of my dvds, and ALL my old ps1 games though...

Including a copy of Thrill Kill!

That game was freaking banned!
And some meth sucking bastards probably sold it for nothing!!!!!!

AAaaAAAAaAAAaaghghhhhh!!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep a log of round counts for my weapons.  I also have the paperwork when I purchased my guns in the gun boxes they came with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top