User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Flashburn sucks....

So does mig welding over sholder level with nothing covering the top of your head......

+1!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
somebody post the pick of the guys face melting from raiders of the lost arc!!!
It works for looking at the arc and looking at the Ark
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I got flashburned as a kid watching someone weld. I wanted to see what he was doing and I hid to watch. Potatos cut and placed on the eye do help.

She will be more sensitive to flashburn or snowblindness than she would have been. I had the safety manager at work come into the garage where I was welding. I had secured the door with a sign that said "Welding in Progress". I looked up from my work and there she stood. I wrote her up for a safety violation. Her manager called me and asked why I chose to write her up not just jump her ass. I told him I wanted to impress her and her cohorts that welding can cause blindness and that she had done something very dumb.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#5]
... Well, it may or may not be common knowledge, but it's certainly common sense not to! How's her IQ holding up these days?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:37:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... Well, it may or may not be common knowledge, but it's certainly common sense not to! How's her IQ holding up these days?

Not sure how you think it is common sense.

As soon as you are old enough to understand,  you are told not to look at the sun.

It certainly isn't something you are born with.  You need to be told.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She didn't know that you aren't supposed to look at the arc without shielding.  I thought this was common knowledge.

I'm a little disappointed that YOU weren't responsible enough to make sure she knew not to look
at the light.  Every single time I weld, if anyone is around, I tell them not to look at the light.
Just to protect them.

When you took your wife shooting for the first time, did you hand her ear protection,
or fire off a large caliber handgun and laugh when her ears were ringing?

+1

I can't count the number of times I've been on a job where I'm fitting up some pipe and I have a welder working for me... a group of "visitors" (white hats) will walk through and I'll warn them not to look at the arc, so what do they all do? They look directly at the arc.

We usually set up welding screens whenever possible to prevent other workers from getting flashed. The radiation given off by the arc is enough to give you a bad sunburn if you are wearing short sleeves, not to mention what it will do to your eyes. I've heard that the potato remedy works pretty well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top