Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
...not one is a complete rifle from one manufacturer. They are all "EE specials".

I have two Oly's, one with a Colt SP1 upper and one with a Tromix 5.56 custom carbine upper. I have a Rock River lower with a telestock and some kind of unknown upper, and I have an Ameetec .458 SOCOM lower, ACE skeleton stock and Leitner-Wise .499 upper (my Carbinenstein).

They all shoot fine and are plenty accurate (except the SP1 upper, which I haven't fired yet).

Anyone else out there got any AR's cobbled together from parts of other rifles?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:30:47 PM EDT
You mean factories build rifles?

Also this is gonna sink so fast in GD.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:32:13 PM EDT
How is that .458 SOCOM?

I wanna get one, but don't know anyone who has one to give me a report on it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:38:05 PM EDT
Hmm - I have 8 complete, ready to fire, ARs.

4 were purchased as complete rifles, in order:

- Colt HBar. My very first AR;
- Bushy A2 carbine;
- Eagle Arms pre-ban (found on EE);
- Bushy A2 pre-ban (found on EE).

The rest are home builts on Stag/CMT lowers and typically, Bushy LPK. 3 are 5.56 and one 9mm with lots of RRA parts.

I have an inordinate number of AR parts laying around in my office. Except for lowers, I could put together 2 more rifles.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:38:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chimpy:
How is that .458 SOCOM?

I wanna get one, but don't know anyone who has one to give me a report on it.

The .458 SOCOM is a nice round, but I don't have a .458 SOCOM upper anymore. I have a .499 Leitner-Wise upper, which for all intents and purposes is about the same just with cheaper ammo.

If you want a .458 SOCOM then go to 458socom.com. They have Marty's builds, and he uses the good shit. The .458SOCOM that I had was from the group purchase that Marty did for us, and that bad boy consistently cloverleafed for me. I had a picture of my first target at one time. It was 4 rounds at 50 yards (NOT a long range gun). All of them were in the dead center of the bullseye and 3 of them were practically in the same hole.

The recoil isn't bad, but an A2 stock will tear up your shoulder, and a telestock will break. ACE skeleton stocks are the only way to go with big bore ARs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:44:08 PM EDT
I can get pretty close with one, it is almost all Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
I have 2 AR's, both home builds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:51:13 PM EDT
2 factory Clots, at least that many frankenrifles, and a few unbuilt lowers. Yep, more lowers than uppers. I see another "AWB" coming.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:00:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sling_blade:
2 factory Clots....................

Do they have a web site?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:04:33 PM EDT
I had a Colt HBAR 20" that became a Bushy M4 profile upper on the Colt MT lower.
I have been wanting to build a free floating 16" or 20" bench rifle....just waiting to have some cash I dont need. I see no point in buying a complete rifle when I can build one for significantly less.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:13:13 PM EDT
Yeah, I have a few like that.
PWA and Lauer LMT lowers with various uppers in various configs.
A few pure Colts but the rest are cobbled together with parts.

During the ban I changed configurations a couple of times and bought other lowers as deals popped up. After the ban I had stocks, uppers, parts. All I had to do was buy a bunch of lowers and Voila!

Anyhow, most are all Colt except for the lowers. Only exceptions are one with a Bushy M4 upper and a couple of spare lowers.

I have just recently fired several of them. 2 in A1 config and 1 in A2 config. The A2 is a new Colt military surplus upper I got from one of the vendors. Thing is a damn tack driver. Wow. I will be hanging onto that one, FrankenAR or not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Do they have a web site?

Yes
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:34:22 PM EDT
I have some BushRivers and some Rockmasters.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:36:39 PM EDT

Do they have a web site?

Did that just to give the bashers some fodder.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:44:28 PM EDT

Do they have a web site?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:51:38 PM EDT
I'm looking to get myself a Bushmaster with a six-position stock and 16" barrel. The only one I've seen for sale in a store is $999 before tax. AIM Surplus advertises them for $850 for a A4 or $809 for an A3, but I can't see any real difference in the photos or descriptions.

What sort of prices would I be looking at if I bought the upper and lower seperately? Say, at the Saxet show some time this summer?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:40:14 PM EDT
I just got my first AR, a Bushy XM15 E2S M4 carbine.

I know I could have done a Frankengun for less $$$ but I wanted a "perfect" factory assembled rifle to learn from. Use it, take it apart, put it back together, find out what I like and don't like, what needs to be changed.

Now that I've had the beast a couple of days the manuals, diagrams and websites suddenly make FAR more sense to me then before.

I now have a FAR better understanding what "BRD" is all about.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:49:24 PM EDT
You mean someone sells complete rifles?

I have a DPMaster varmiter and a complete RRA lower I am building from parts, waiting for me to get a mid-length upper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:52:08 PM EDT
One factory Armalite HB flat top rifle. One CAR-15 assembled on a Oly lower and a Model One upper. Runs like a champ.
Top Top