Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]

tagged as promised for the early sunday morning people

Arnutt[yup i'm myself and not speedboy anymore]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think anyone, especially GySgtD, is trying to talk you out of enlisting in the Marine Corps. You can, however, rest assured that the Scout/Sniper training has an extremely high drop out rate. If you think you are not mature enough for Army SF you most certainly are NOT mature enough for Marine Scout/Sniper school.

When you enlist in the Marine Corps you are guaranted only the chance to become one of the few, the proud, a Marine. You serve at the pleasure of the Corps and you go where the Corps needs you. You do not tell the Corps what you want. The Corps tells you what they want....

Charles the Gunsmith.  CWO-3 USMC (ret).  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't think anyone, especially GySgtD, is trying to talk you out of enlisting in the Marine Corps. You can, however, resr assured that the Scout/Sniper training has an extremely high drop out rate. If you think you are not mature enough for Army SF you most certainly are NOT mature enough for Marine Scout/Sniper school.

Charles the Gunsmith.  CWO-3 USMC (ret).  

10/4 on that comment.....................now for another question..........obivously my personal issues are things i have to solve myself........but will basic trainign do anything in order to aid me in overcoming these issues?????................as much as it sounds like i'm sucking up, another reason i am considering the Corps is i see it as a vehicle to aid me in becoming a better person..........

Arnutt
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Heres how it went for me. Joined up as 2871 Calibration Tech. Spent 5 years in never got deployed. Got out, got my degree and tried to go back in as an officer. I wanted to be a tank commander but I was not accepted. Now I regret doing a job that would make Chesty Puller cry a little.

I would definatly enlist as a 03xx( anythign infantry) and keep trying to get a s/s slot. I dont know how they pick those people. Im sure there is a tough indoc test and Im sure you have to be in very good shape so work out and run, a lot.

Kinda a funny story:

One time while I was driving to the range (I was the pit nco for a week) all of a sudden a marine in cammies (pre-marpat) ran accross the road with a bolt-action rifle and a radio. I just assumed he was a sniper. Well he was running into a area that was packed with very dense vegetation.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Kinda a funny story:

One time while I was driving to the range (I was the pit nco for a week) all of a sudden a marine in cammies (pre-marpat) ran accross the road with a bolt-action rifle and a radio. I just assumed he was a sniper. Well he was running into a area that was packed with very dense vegetation.

FUCK YEAH! There's nothing like busting brush at Stone Bay...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
First, I would get rid of that posting style of yours.  Extremely

hard to..............................

follow.

A S/S must collect, analyze, and report a large amount of data with few words and no flourish.  The is in the details, but you must filter out what is important from what is not.  This is the most important aspect of your job and the lives of Marines will depend on your JUDGMENT.

Want to be a Marine Sniper?
1.  Lance Corporal through Captain.
2.  MOS 0203 Ground Intelligence
3.  Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes.  Color blindness is discouraged.
5.  Minimum of 12 months remaining on current contract upon completion of course
   (Does not apply to reservist)
6.  Must score a First Class PFT on course convene date.
7.  Current rifle Expert.   Must have qualified in the last fiscal year.  
   (Reservist can have a score three years old, but must be current Expert)
8.  No courts martials or NJP within the last six months.
9.  Minimum GT of 100.
10.  No history of mental illness.
11.  Must be a volunteer.
12.   It is HIGHLY recommended, but not required, for the student to have completed the following MCI courses: Land Navigation, Patrolling, Calling and Adjusting Supporting Arms, and Reconnaissance Marine.  It is also recommended but not required that the student have conducted basic Scout Sniper field skills: stalks, concealment, field sketches, range cards, range estimations, and firing of the M-40A3  prior to attending the course.   Students should also posses a high degree of maturity, equanimity, and common sense.
13.  Bottom line: the best, most experienced infantry you can send.
3 mile run in 18 minutes, 20 deadhang pull-ups(No Swinging), 100 sit-up/crunchs under two minutes.
Swim Qual: 500 meter swim using side or breast stroke, 50 meter swim holding a weight out of water, tread water for 30 seconds holding a weight out of water, no signs of panic.
There are no second chances at the school and drops are a daily occurrence.
Marine Snipers are generally regarded as the best snipers in the world. There is a reason for that!

OFFICER MOS HANDBOOK
0203 Ground Intelligence (paraphrased)
After completing TBS (FIRST in class), 2 week S/S Plt. Cdr course and 6 week Ground Intel Officer Course.  The ground intelligence officer will serve as scout sniper platoon commander in the infantry battalion  for 12 to 18 months.  Upon completion, officer will go to staff intel or may volunteer recon.  Following completion of Basic Recon Course, 24 month billet in Recon.  TS/SCI clearance required.  After staff intel or recon, redesignated 0202 MAGTF Intel Officer following course on said.  Myriad command opportunities follow.  

"The 0203 MOS is a challenging profession.  You will work with some of the most TALENTED AND DEDICATED Marines in the Corps."

Put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter.  Regardless of their idealism and desire to take care of "their" men, their mission is to get a few good men to sign on that dotted line.  The mission always comes first.  

Find an active duty Marine that will not gain from you signing up.  Look for a college campus with an NROTC battalion and make an appointment to see the MOI (Officer, typically Captain) and/or AMOI (Senior NCO, typically GySgt).  In these men you will find the most talented and dedicated Marines.    Be blunt, ask,

"I'm not interested in what the Marines can do for me, I want to know what you think it takes to be an outstanding  Marine."  MOS is irrelevant.  

Remember the military maxim "No plan survives first contact with the enemy".  Know your objective but don't believe you have to stick with a poor plan.  Adapt.  The Corps practices maneuver warfare for a reason.

Hope this helps.

~SO
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Best bet to become a scout sniper:  Get into the grunts, do a deployment with them, then talk to your command to see if you can take the indoc.  Ain't no way you will be able to get sniper in your contract.

A lot of recon marines get to go to sniper school too in case you were considering that option.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:39:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dont see it, maybe I missed it, but when you get out what about SWAT sniper? Or how about  firearms instructor?

Unless he wants to be a regular ol' flatfoot 99.999% of the time, he needs to realize that being a SWAT marksman (hell, probably even any sort of instructor) is hardly a full-time job.

Even in a big city like LA or NYC, You're a regular cop, every other day there isn't a SWAT related incident occurring.

Lots of people seem to miss that point.    

It's great to have dreams and aspirations, and I say go for em !  

Just temper that enthusiasm with reality and you wont end up disappointed that you didn't ultimately get where YOU think you should be.  

Best of luck to you ARnutt, in whatever you attempt to do  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Exactly.
Become a good Marine, first.

THEN, if YOU demonstrate the right motivation and ability, AND the Corps decides that you are worthy...

...MAYBE you will be allowed to become a Sniper, Recon, Top Secret Super Commando, etc.

Being a Marine Rifleman and going to Iraq/A'Stan is almost guaranteed.
And that's not too shabby.

And he can come back here and post cool azzed pics for us like you, RustedAce and the rest

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
If I had to do it all over again I would have gone Coast Guard instead of Army! For some reason I have always wanted to work on one of those 40ft rescue boats. Plus you are always living by the water! Whatever you decide make sure you think it through and best of luck to you!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top