Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:35:10 AM EDT

Sorry, it came to this, but damn if I can't find the right words for me to formulate an opinion...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mercedsunstar.com/local/story/12014235p-12773261c.html

Immigration sweep nabs 51

Five children seized off school buses in countywide operation  

By Leslie Albrecht
[email protected]

Last Updated: April 4, 2006, 06:48:43 AM PDT

Federal immigration agents arrested 51 illegal immigrants during a targeted sweep Thursday and Friday, according to a spokeswoman with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.
ICE agents arrested 49 Mexican nationals and two people from El Salvador, all of whom were under court orders to leave the United States, said Virginia Kice.

"The people we're targeting are people who have had their day in court, had their due process, and been ordered to leave," said Kice.

Three of ICE's "fugitive operations" teams conducted the sweep in cities across the county, in many cases making arrests before dawn.

ICE is the enforcement arm of the agencies created from the old Immigration and Naturalization Service under the auspices of the Department of Homeland Security.

In two instances, agents seized children off school buses before or after arresting their parents.

In Firebaugh, two unmarked ICE vans pulled up alongside a school bus on Friday morning around 6:30, said Brian Walker, superintendent of the Dos Palos Oro Loma Joint Unified School District.

One van drove in front of the bus, forcing the driver to stop. Agents approached the bus, but the driver, following protocol, refused to open the door.

After agents flashed badges and the driver noticed agents were carrying guns, he let them on the bus. They removed three children and put them in a van.

The driver, worried about the children, followed the vans to a residence where he witnessed agents handcuffing people who appeared to be the students' parents, said Walker.

School officials said they were puzzled by the timing and method of the arrests.

"As a school district we don't have any jurisdiction or any right to tell them what to do or how to do it," said Walker. "But we want to share with them that it can be a traumatizing experience for students to be pulled over. We don't want to get in the way of them doing their job, but we think it could have been handled differently."

Walker said school counselors at Oro Loma Elementary were ready to talk to children about the experience and that the principal had called parents to let them know what happened.

Walker said he had called ICE officials to discuss how arrests could be handled in the future.

In Merced, agents found two students from Franklin Elementary School on a bus after arresting their parents.

In all cases, the children were American citizens.

"There was no intention to target the children," said Kice. "We were arresting their parents. The parents were concerned about the kids coming home to an empty house. We didn't want to separate a family."

Although the wave of arrests capped a week of nationwide and local protests about proposed immigration reform laws, ICE's Deputy Field Office Director Timothy Aitken said the timing was a coincidence.

"We do this every day," said Aitken, who runs fugitive operations teams from Bakersfield to the Oregon border. "This had nothing to do with the protests or the bills in the House and the Senate."

The sweep could send shock waves through an already fearful community of undocumented immigrants, according to service providers who work with recent immigrants.

Rattled immigrants could keep children home from school, skip clinic appointments and stop using services that provide free food for low-income families, said providers.

"When rumors come out that they're deporting people the fear grows," said Martin Diaz, a program manager with Golden Valley Health Centers, which provides medical services to recent immigrants. "It's really sad. They're already not going to services that are there for them, and when the fear increases they end up hurting themselves."

Diaz said his program workers already face difficulties gaining the trust of recent arrivals. When they show up at residences wearing name tags and looking "sort of official," no one will answer the door.

News of the arrests could push an already marginalized community further into the shadows, he said.

But ICE officials said that the immigrants targeted for arrest were all aware that they had been ordered to leave the country or had committed a crime.

In the past, said Kice, people would receive deportation orders, then "fly under the radar."

ICE's 31 fugitive operations teams were created in March 2003 to focus on locating, arresting and removing illegal immigrants and "criminal aliens," foreign nationals who, in addition to immigration violations, also have prior criminal convictions.

Local law enforcement agencies were not formally involved in the sweep, but the Merced County Sheriff's Department helped with at least one arrest, said Aitken.

An estimated 10 million undocumented immigrants live in the United States, with 2.45 million in California, according to the Pew Hispanic Center.

"I think we need to let people know, this is very much a part of the way we do business," said Kice. "All of this is geared toward restoring integrity to the immigration system."

"It's very likely that our fugitive operations team will be conducting future operations in Merced. If you ignore the court's order there are going to be consequences. One morning there's likely to be a knock at the door."
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Put on the pressure.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Only 9,999,949 to go!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#5]
good.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#6]
[Mr Burns]Excellent![/Mr Burns]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rattled immigrants illegals could keep children home from school, skip clinic appointments and stop using services that provide free food (paid for w/ OUR tax dollars) for low-income families, said providers.

"When rumors come out that they're deporting people the fear grows," said Martin Diaz, a program manager with Golden Valley Health Centers, which provides medical services to recent immigrants illegals . "It's really sad. They're already not going to services that are there for them, and when the fear increases they end up hurting themselves."

Gee, if you're here w/ the proper paperwork, you wouldn't have to be so fearful, now would you?
F'em....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't like to see kids scared, especially not by police officers (dangerous memories last a lifetime), but if it adds one more burden for the border-hopping scum to brood over when they decide to break our laws, it's a small enough price, and one properly allocated.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Get the fuck off the bus!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm.  At one place they say they do this every day.

And another place the article says this will cause a sudden shock wave of fear.

Why the sudden fear, if they've been doing this every day
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hmmm.  At one place they say they do this every day.

And another place the article says this will cause a sudden shock wave of fear.

Why the sudden fear, if they've been doing this every day

The media is on it now.

Just in time for the upcoming illegal alien marches.

The media will be willing accomplices in whipping up hysterical rage among the illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Let's see.
Parents had their day in court and told to leave.
Parents chose to stay, which says fuck off to the U.S. legal system.
Drag their sorry asses kicking and screaming to the border and give them a boot in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Rattled immigrants could keep children home from school, skip clinic appointments and stop using services that provide free food for low-income families, said providers.

"When rumors come out that they're deporting people the fear grows," said Martin Diaz, a program manager with Golden Valley Health Centers, which provides medical services to recent immigrants. "It's really sad. They're already not going to services that are there for them, and when the fear increases they end up hurting themselves."

Best thing I've read all day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel bad about the kids getting scared but not about their parents being deported after being told to leave.

It's apparent to me that all you have to do to stay here illegally is keep your head down and work.   They must have committed a crime or done something to actually get deported.

The fact that the kids are American Citizens means they'll just file some paper and get to come back legally, dragging their "guardians" along with.

then it'll be business as usual.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#16]
This sucks that kids are having to suffer because of their parents.

But then again, I turned out pretty ok.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#17]
The drivers should be trained to drive around, over or through anybody who tries to stop them.  

I'm glad some illegals are getting deported, but pulling the schoolbus over is a typically melodramatic "tactical operation" for Federal LEO's to undertake.

8,700,000 to go!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#18]

News of the arrests could push an already marginalized community further into the shadows, he said.

Maybe it will push them right back to where they came from.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#19]
"When rumors come out that they're deporting people the fear grows," said Martin Diaz, <snip>
"It's really sad.  They're already not going to services that are there for them, and when the fear increases they end up hurting themselves."

Boo FUCKING Hoo.  Better they hurt themselves than destroy our way of life.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Illegally sneak across the border.  Illegally stay after being told by the courts to leave.

Nothing like being a good law abiding role model for your children.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Let's do the math:

Illegal+Illegal=ILLEGAL
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#22]
You know what would be funny, a few guys in plain clothes attends these illegal alien marches and just starts taking everyone's pics.  I think that would freak some of them out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Best thing I've read all day.

+1....  Fuck them!  I'll bet parole violators get all nervous andd such when they start having sting operations at places they frequent.  SO WHAT!?  

"Awwwwww, the poor poor illegals are getting all nervous and stuff and that makes them sad.   Awwwwwww"  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Boo. Fucking. Hoo.

Should deport them to Iran.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Fucking liberal media.

Taking something that was done right for once and turning it into a sob story about how the children are the newest "victims" in the immigration battle.  Yes, I feel kinda bad, it's really not their fault.  But it's not the gov's fault, it's the parents.  When will people see that??
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#27]
They didn't belong on a school bus reserved for American schoolchildren.

Sorry, go ride your own schoolbus in your own damn country.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#28]
WHAT???????????????????????????

Arresting and deporting illegal aliens?????

Can they do that?????????
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#29]
While I agree with the fact that the parents should be deported, I dont agree with the way the children were handled. they are unfortunately the results of our fucked up system and they are American citizens. They should not be punished because of the stupidity of the parents. Nowing the way the .gov does things I'm positive they boarded these buses waving the guns and scared the shit out of all the kids.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Actually, they are American citizens but not their parents...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't let your feelings be manipulated by the press.

Look at how the article is written.

ICE agents were doing their job, arresting illegal aliens for deportation, along with their families.

The article was written to focus on the kids being rounded up so that you'd say, "Oh, those poor children!"

I say it's a start.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#32]
If they can grab Elian Gonzalez in the middle of the night and send him back to Cuba, what's the problem sending scoflaws back to Sunny Mexico? Seems somehow analogous, no?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Fuck them,. fuck their kids.  Send them all home.

What part of illegal is unclear?

Maybe this isn't a bad message to send to kids at school and on the bus:  Fuck up, committ and crime & the cops will come and take you away.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder why?

If momma and poppa come to this country illegally and have a child here, that child should be just as illegal as his/her parents.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Trying to give a damn, nothing, nope, wait, nope, just gas.

Head 'em up, move 'em out, rawhide!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder why?

If momma and poppa come to this country illegally and have a child here, that child should be just as illegal as his/her parents.

Sorry.

United States v. Wong Kim Ark

1898 case that set the precendent that children of illegals are American citizens.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't consider "anchor babies" legal US citizens either.  That is a loophole that needs fixing now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I don't consider "anchor babies" legal US citizens either.  That is a loophole that needs fixing now.

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder why?

Sorry.

Sorry W-G, the Constitution says differently...  

If they can start saying who's citizenship is vaild because their parents weren't born here... who's next?

Sorry, I just feel they should take a different tact.  If the baby drops here, he/she is the same as you or I, a United States Citizen

However, they should receive the SAME benefits of that citizenship you and I do...

Income tax
property tax
sales tax
social security tax
beer tax
tobacco tax
license tax

but my personal favorite... NFA tax!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Good, 50 or so down, Millions to go
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I’m certainly no supporter of illegal immigrants.

Still, in principal I really dislike the idea of non-uniformed guys in unmarked vans flashing badges and guns and being allowed to pull over a school bus and take kids off it.

Except in the genuine emergencies, LEO’s shouldn’t do it like this and bus drivers shouldn’t allow it.

This reminds me too much of home invasions where the bad guys identify themselves as police to get through the door.  I’m wondering if this could become an easy way for somebody to kidnap a kid.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#42]

The sweep could send shock waves through an already fearful community of undocumented immigrants, according to service providers who work with recent immigrants.

Good.  Now we have a proven method to keep them from sucking our social services dry.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder why?

Sorry.

Sorry W-G, the Constitution says differently...  

If they can start saying who's citizenship is vaild because their parents weren't born here... who's next?

Sorry, I just feel they should take a different tact.  If the baby drops here, he/she is the same as you or I, a United States Citizen

Negative; the constitution says born here and subject to the jurisdiction thereof.  Anchor babies are citizens only because the Supreme Court said so.

You know; that same Supreme court that churned out greatest hits like Dred Scott and Korematsu...

Just because SCOTUS said it doesn't mean it's right.  They aren't infallible.

ETA: folks need to get over the misty-eyed nostalgia for being an American simply by accident of geography when mom goes into labor.  The illegals are capitalizing on this and making pregnancy an act of aggression.  Every anchor baby is another dagger stabbed into our side.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#44]
You know what sucks?
Say the kids parents have been here for 9 years.
Say the kid is 9 1/2.
That means he's been here since he was 6 months old.
They take that "Americanized" kid back to some shit hole he doesn't even know ?
All he knows is America.
All I'm saying is that that fucking sucks !
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You know what sucks?
Say the kids parents have been here for 9 years.
Say the kid is 9 1/2.
That means he's been here since he was 6 months old.
They take that "Americanized" kid back to some shit hole he doesn't even know ?
All he knows is America.
All I'm saying is that that fucking sucks !

That's his parent's problem.

But pulling the shitbird's kids off the bus is poor practice and just plain stupid. All those other "normal" AMERICAN kids now see police as the GESTAPO that stops buses and randomly take kids.

STUPID FEDS.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Your right that sucks.  Blame the parents.  
Nuff said except ........ fuck those people they got exactly what they deserved.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#47]
A good start
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Gov't good for something.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess now I'm suppossed to feel bad that some kids were taken off a bus by the damn JBTs.

Personally I'm pissed that it is only 51 arrests. I'm pissed that such a paltry number even made the news. I'd hope that this kind of thing would actually occur daily but in greater numbers.

The fact that this story made the news tells me it doesn't.

And finally this story is nothing but a apology piece to show the harm done to "the poor children" when their parents are rounded up as illegals.

Well FUCK THEM ALL. Maybe if their parents weren't criminals this wouldn't happen.

And the kids weren't arrested.

"We were arresting their parents. The parents were concerned about the kids coming home to an empty house. We didn't want to separate a family."

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#50]
It's sad that these children must be caught in the crossfire of their parent's illegal actions.  I blame the law breaking parents for putting their children in this situation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top