Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:14:33 PM EDT
I've been looking for a decent SKS, and they're kind of hard to find locally. Today I picked up a really nice one, that appears to be unissued. All #'s match, came with a crappy 30 round mag, 20 stripper clips and 50 rounds of ammo. Has had grenade launcher removed and barrel recrowned. $200 and it was mine. It's so clean I'm almost afraid to shoot it.

But I will!

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
NICE!

Can you post a closeup of the front sight?

Looks like a dandy!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:16:14 PM EDT
nice looking gun... have fun
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:27:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JackBurton:
NICE!

Can you post a closeup of the front sight?

Looks like a dandy!

Still has the funky flip sight, with the glow in the dark dot.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:16:25 PM EDT
Good looking SKS. These are a lot of fun to shoot. Have 2 myself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:18:38 PM EDT
where's the bayonet?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:19:58 PM EDT
Nice!

Throw away the 30 rounder though, and stick with the stripper clips.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:40 PM EDT
How the heck are you going to launch grenades with that ?

Just kidding ,looks great. I'm for leaving them as is, but that is a nice conversion.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:32:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By capnrob97:
Nice!

Throw away the 30 rounder though, and stick with the stripper clips.

+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:41:02 PM EDT
Man, I had a practically unfired Norinco that I paid $100 for. Then I shot it and remembered that I don't do worth a crap with open sights [ bifocals ] so I sold it for $180 . Then Tech Sights comes out with those nice peep sight set ups !!!! Now I am looking for another SKS [ for $100 ].

The local gunshop has a pretty nice Yugo for $129 but the bore is a little dirty. I may run a cleaning patch down it and see what it looks like then.

rj
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:15:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:
where's the bayonet?

Bayo and cleaning rod retainer were lost when the grenade launcher was removed. No big loss for a deer rifle/trunk gun. The 30 round mag will likely be a paperweight or a target.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:55:39 PM EDT
You made the right choice, although I implore you to get a folding blade style bayo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:58:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By southeast_scrounger:

Originally Posted By sharky30:
where's the bayonet?

Bayo and cleaning rod retainer were lost when the grenade launcher was removed. No big loss for a deer rifle/trunk gun. The 30 round mag will likely be a paperweight or a target.

How hard is it to remove all that crap, and is it perminent? I LOVE my yugo but with all that crap on the front it has horrible ballance. Good buy btw!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:08:30 AM EDT
The Yugo I am looking at already is missing the bayo which is fine. I was thinking of removing or at least shortening the grenade launcher. I read somewhere about launching tennis balls ??? What do they do, bore a 3/4" hole in the tennis ball and slip it over the launcher and shoot a blank ? I saw the golf ball launcher, too expensive.

rj
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 4:26:51 AM EDT by ED_P]

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

How hard is it to remove all that crap, and is it perminent? I LOVE my yugo but with all that crap on the front it has horrible ballance. Good buy btw!!

Removing the bayonette is pretty easy. I don't have it right here in front of me, but I don't consider myself much of a gunsmith, and I figured it out in a few minutes and a screwdriver.

Does lighten the gun some, but it's still heavy. Shortening the barrel like the SKS above is a nice option as well, but I'm keeping mine the stock length.

Top Top