Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:14:33 PM EDT
 I've been looking for a decent SKS, and they're kind of hard to find locally. Today I picked up a really nice one, that appears to be unissued. All #'s match, came with a crappy 30 round mag, 20 stripper clips and 50 rounds of ammo. Has had grenade launcher removed and barrel recrowned. $200 and it was mine. It's so clean I'm almost afraid to shoot it.

But I will!

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
NICE!

Can you post a closeup of the front sight?

Looks like a dandy!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
nice looking gun... have fun
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NICE!

Can you post a closeup of the front sight?

Looks like a dandy!

Still has the funky flip sight, with the glow in the dark dot.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Good looking SKS.  These are a lot of fun to shoot.  Have 2 myself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
where's the bayonet?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

Throw away the 30 rounder though, and stick with the stripper clips.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
How the heck are you going to launch grenades with that ?

Just kidding ,looks great.  I'm for leaving them as is, but that is a nice conversion.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice!

Throw away the 30 rounder though, and stick with the stripper clips.  

+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, I had a practically unfired Norinco that I paid $100 for.  Then I shot it and remembered that I don't do worth a crap with open sights [ bifocals ] so I sold it for $180 .  Then Tech Sights comes out with those nice peep sight set ups !!!! Now I am looking for another SKS [ for $100 ].

The local gunshop has a pretty nice Yugo for $129 but the bore is a little dirty.  I may run a cleaning patch down it and see what it looks like then.

rj
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
where's the bayonet?

Bayo and cleaning rod retainer were lost when the grenade launcher was removed. No big loss for a deer rifle/trunk gun. The 30 round mag will likely be a paperweight or a target.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
You made the right choice, although I implore you to get a folding blade style bayo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
where's the bayonet?

Bayo and cleaning rod retainer were lost when the grenade launcher was removed. No big loss for a deer rifle/trunk gun. The 30 round mag will likely be a paperweight or a target.

How hard is it to remove all that crap, and is it perminent? I LOVE my yugo but with all that crap on the front it has horrible ballance. Good buy btw!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#13]
The Yugo I am looking at already is missing the bayo which is fine.  I was thinking of removing or at least shortening the grenade launcher.  I read somewhere about launching tennis balls ???  What do they do, bore a 3/4" hole in the tennis ball and slip it over the launcher and shoot a blank ?  I saw the golf ball launcher, too expensive.

rj
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How hard is it to remove all that crap, and is it perminent? I LOVE my yugo but with all that crap on the front it has horrible ballance. Good buy btw!!

Removing the bayonette is pretty easy.  I don't have it right here in front of me, but I don't consider myself much of a gunsmith, and I figured it out  in a few minutes and a screwdriver.  

Does lighten the gun some, but it's still heavy.  Shortening the barrel like the SKS above is a nice option as well, but I'm keeping mine the stock length.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top