Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 6:00:31 PM EDT
Would like to add something to keep the dipsticks out of my vehicle, and what comes to mind is a car alarm.  Can the average guy install this himself?  Or, should he have someone like ABC Warehouse do this?  

What about lojack?  Isn't that where there's like a transponder on your vehicle and you can track it?  Thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help.

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
some car alarms are as simple as two wires. They measure voltage draw when  a light comes on when a door is opened.  

Others are pretty intensive.  MOST are easily installable by a person with average direction following skills and an ability to use a screwdriver

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it depends on the specific type, but FWIW I have no automotive mechanical skills but I was able to install an OEM Honda alarm kit into my wife's Civic without any problems.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Never did a lojack install but I imagine they are fairly simple to install.
Car alarms are not very difficult. Some of them include popular wiring diagrams for vehicles, not exactly diagrams, but wire color listings. If you are not very familiar with your vehicle's wiring, you will need to get a real wiring diagram first. Just follow the instructions for the alarm, and use the wiring diagram to find the correct wires in your vehicle.

Just make sure you tap in nicely, use neat clean connections that are solid and taped well, route them nicely too and find a nice spot for the control unit so it all looks factory when you are done.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't recommend it .

Lojack is installed by Factory approved and trained installers. Background checks are mandatory.

There are other outboard tracking systems that use the internet, but again, not for the hobby installer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Where would be a good dealer to order a car alarm from?  Thanks.

I should ask my sister (she's a Michigan State Trooper) about this stuff as well.   Am especially interested in what she has to say about lojack.

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Never did a lojack install but I imagine they are fairly simple to install.
Car alarms are not very difficult. Some of them include popular wiring diagrams for vehicles, not exactly diagrams, but wire color listings. If you are not very familiar with your vehicle's wiring, you will need to get a real wiring diagram first. Just follow the instructions for the alarm, and use the wiring diagram to find the correct wires in your vehicle.

Just make sure you tap in nicely, use neat clean connections that are solid and taped well, route them nicely too and find a nice spot for the control unit so it all looks factory when you are done.

Here is the problem, most people do not , or know how to properly test and verify the vehicle circuits in the car, so they hook up to the one of many orange wires at the BCM, like the sheet said, and their car circuit gets toasted, possibly the new alarm they are trying to put in.

Plus experience builds technique. I teach, and was taught to perform a stealth installation. A thief had a hard time disabling a system if he can't find the wiring or components.

I don't install alarms, I sell and install Security Systems. There is a difference, and my customers do pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from the chain stores, go see a professional. I'd skip the lojack, and in MI, get a remote starter, if you park outside. Internet tracking is nice, but I'd just pocket the money, unless you are a parent with a teen using the car, or a fleet owner.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a two way alarm with remote. You can do the install yourself> But if you ahve never done alarms, its better to have a pro do it. If your getting  Good alarm the warranty is void unless you have a installer do it.
I have the  viper 791xv. I can lock and unlock the doors up to about 600 feet, maybe 1000 or more outside straight line. Its 2 way so if the alarm goes off out of hearing range the transponder tells me anyways. Remote start is great in the winter also

DEI makes  a Good line of products. CHeck them out. SHould be around 400 for install and alarm.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Systems like Lojack don't really do much until the vehicle is actually stolen. At that point, even if the vehicle is eventually recovered, it's usually trashed to the point where you won't want it anymore.

A carefully concealed kill switch will do a lot better job of keeping the vehicle from going anywhere - and at a total installed cost of less than 5 bucks. Combine it with a garden-variety security system to help protect your stereo, airbags, HID headlamps and any other valuable parts, and you've got the best strategy for minimizing the amount of damage a thief can cause.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Lojack is worthless.....get Onstar instead if you want something like that
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Systems like Lojack don't really do much until the vehicle is actually stolen. At that point, even if the vehicle is eventually recovered, it's usually trashed to the point where you won't want it anymore.

A carefully concealed kill switch will do a lot better job of keeping the vehicle from going anywhere - and at a total installed cost of less than 5 bucks. Combine it with a garden-variety security system to help protect your stereo, airbags, HID headlamps and any other valuable parts, and you've got the best strategy for minimizing the amount of damage a thief can cause.

I like the kill switch idea.  How would one hook this up and where would I get such a gizmo?  Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#12]
a kill switch is just a simple on off switch that installs in between the ignition switch and ignition solenoid.  When the switch is off, no power to the starter soleniod, and the car goes no where.  When the switch is on, just like normal operation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
a kill switch is just a simple on off switch that installs in between the ignition switch and ignition solenoid.  When the switch is off, no power to the starter soleniod, and the car goes no where.  When the switch is on, just like normal operation.

Thank you.

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
LowJack is installed as part of the service. The owner of the car is NOT allowed to even be present during the installation ... you just trust that the guy actually did something to the car. They hide the transponder from even the owner.

That is correct, I worked for a new car dealer and when Lo-Jack came out for a install, our techs weren't allowed anywhere near them. No one but the installer knows the location, until he files the location with the main office.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#17]
NO

Most audio installers are not even car alarm cert.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#18]
There are several lojac type devices available.  Some offer real time tracking via the internet.  Google "private eye" surveilance equipment.

Some are self contained, very concielable, and have their own power supply.

Also have some transponder based units that the DEA installs on occasion in "suspect" aircraft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top