Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:04:07 PM EDT
I got this from google but I don't trust the source.  Is this the general orders for the Army?  I need to know if this is accurate, word for word:

1. I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.

2. I will obey my special orders and perform all of my duties in a military manner.

3. I will report violations of my special orders, emergencies, and anything not covered in my instructions to the commander of the relief.

Thanks.  Also, is there anything else I should memorize or know before I go to BCT one week from now?  So far I have memorized all ranks and their insignias, the phonetic alphabet, and the soldier's creed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds about right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
And how many empty beer cans you can stuff in the barrel of an m1a1 Abrams..
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

87?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

87?

I lost count at 23....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are your General Orders.  Your recruiter should have some advice or a SMART Book, or something for you (unless he's getting high and fucking High School kids).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Recruiter said he does not have a smart book.  I already asked him for that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Have your recruiter set you up a AKO account and go start reading FMs....Try to find a CTT handbook on there. If you can have familarity with the CTT (Common Tasks and Training) you will be miles ahead in BCT.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
(unless he's getting high and fucking High School kids).

looks like i gotta cross-train!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Chain of Command

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Chain of Command

Don't I need to be assigned to a unit before memorizing this?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1 LMAO
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
You might want to learn the Army song.

I remember my son going through 21B Basic/AIT in 2003 and he told me that they all had to memorize the Army song and had to sing it while being smoked (punished).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Chain of Command

Don't I need to be assigned to a unit before memorizing this?

Your chain of command does go beyond those above you in your unit. Try memorizing from the Commander in Chief on down, stop where you feel appropriate.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this accurate?

Squad - 9 to 10 soldiers. Typically commanded by a sergeant or staff sergeant, a squad or section is the smallest element in the Army structure, and its size is dependent on its function.

Platoon - 16 to 44 soldiers. A platoon is led by a lieutenant with an NCO as second in command, and consists of two to four squads or sections.

Company - 62 to 190 soldiers. Three to five platoons form a company, which is commanded by a captain with a first sergeant as the commander's principle NCO assistant. An artillery unit of equivalent size is called a battery, and a comparable armored or air cavalry unit is called a troop.

Battalion - 300 to 1,000 soldiers. Four to six companies make up a battalion, which is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel with a command sergeant major as principle NCO assistant. A battalion is capable of independent operations of limited duration and scope. An armored or air cavalry unit of equivalent size is called a squadron.

Brigade - 3,000 to 5,000 solders. A brigade headquarters commands the tactical operation of two to five organic or attached combat battalions. Normally commanded by a colonel with a command sergeant major as senior NCO, brigades are employed on independent or semi-independent operations. Armored cavalry, ranger and special forces units this size are categorized as regiments or groups.

Division - 10,000 to 15,000 soldiers. Usually consisting of three brigade-sized elements and commanded by a major general, divisions are numbered and assigned missions based on their structures. The division performs major tactical operations for the corps and can conduct sustained battles and engagements.

Corps - 20,000 to 45,000 soldiers. Two to five divisions constitute a corps, which is typically commanded by a lieutenant general. As the deployable level of command required to synchronize and sustain combat operations, the corps provides the framework for multi-national operations.

Army - 50,000 + soliders. Typically commanded by a lieutenant general or higher, an army combines two or more corps. A theater army is the ranking Army component in a unified command, and it has operational and support responsibilities that are assigned by the theater commander in chief. The commander in chief and theater army commander may order formation of a field army to direct operations of assigned corps and divisions. An army group plans and directs campaigns in a theater, and is composed of two or more field armies under a designated commander. Army groups have not been employed by the Army since World War II.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My Smart Book Table of Contents is all but gone after 21+ years, but here is a pic of the Chain of Command that I had to memorize as a young Private. If the Table of Contents was intact I’d scan it for you to give you an idea of what you might expect.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#16]
those special orders are correct.  There is actually one more which is the one I never knew NOR is required.  You don't have to worry about that one, but a D.S. may ask at some point to see who's on the ball.

Don't worry about FM's b/c there is a lot more you will have on your shoulders.....like your IET handbook (aka smartbook).  

If you DO want to start on your FM's (Field Manuals) start with the ones that most closely pertain to your MOS.  Those woul dbe better to go through 1st.

And get on your recruiter's lazy ass and make sure he squares you away.  Don't be scared to go to that SFC/E7 in that pretty little cubicle of an office and let him know if you're not being provided with the knowledge and material you want.  I went back home as a hometown recruiter when I decided to commission and let me tell you, MORE THAN LIKELY that E7 will treat you like a king b/c it is really his ass on the line if the numbers aint right.  The actual recruiters dont much give a shit.

The CO wanted me back as his XO and I literally laughed at him and said "not for me, sir"
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My Smart Book Table of Contents is all but gone after 21+ years, but here is a pic of the Chain of Command that I had to memorize as a young Private. If the Table of Contents was intact I’d scan it for you to give you an idea of what you might expect.

www.hunt101.com/img/393532-big.jpg

Your handwriting is kinda random.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]

TRADOC PAM IET Soldier's Handbook (VOL I)

TRADOC PAM 600-4 IET Soldier's Handbook (VOL II)

Its an ADOBE PDF.  Make sure you have ADOBE READER installed (that's on ADOBE'S website www.adobe.com).

I'm sorry if this sounds peevish, but often seems like people have no clue as to how to use a search engine?  Took 5 minutes on Google...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Measuring my 350ml can in front of me here, 120mm in length. There's a happy coincidence.

As the M1A1's cannon is 44 calibres long, that means you can fit 44 cans down the barrel with the breech closed presuming that they all lie end-to-end.

If you leave the breech open, you'll have to drink a lot of beer to have enough cans.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't worry too much about memorizing a bunch of stuff now.  They will tell you when you get to basic what you are expected to memorize.  Spend your time rapping up whatever personal stuff you need to before you go.  So what MOS did you get?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]
25B -- Information Systems Analyst
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I wouldn't worry too much about memorizing a bunch of stuff now.  They will tell you when you get to basic what you are expected to memorize.  Spend your time rapping up whatever personal stuff you need to before you go.  So what MOS did you get?

That's a big plus one.  Try to get in the last perfect pre-army nookie.  That memory is going to have to last you a while.  If you were further out than one week I would sugest getting in shape but now you're going to have to go with the fitness level you have.

PS the general orders are correct.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/393545.jpg

yes quib your first handwriting is fine for a man, now it looks to neat like a woman's.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes quib your first handwriting is fine for a man, now it looks to neat like a woman's.

I hear that all the time at work.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a big plus one.  Try to get in the last perfect pre-army nookie.  That memory is going to have to last you a while.  If you were further out than one week I would sugest getting in shape but now you're going to have to go with the fitness level you have.

PS the general orders are correct.

Don’t forget the last minute beer to go with the nookie, and smoke’em if you go’em went out years ago.  If you use tobacco, plan on quitting.  We got took over by the morality squad a few years ago.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

REMF
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
REMF

This has no point.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I walk my post from flank to flank and take no shit from any rank.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I walk my post from flank to flank and take no shit from any rank.

I will walk my post, beat my meat and keep dry socks upon my feet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I will guard the important hidden cooler with my life,until it's properly empty.  
I will never pass the Class 6 store without stopping,and to remember my fellow troops,and some higher command while there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Systems Information Analyst. Cool! Talk about being able to immediately grab a civvie job after the Army. I mean, what can us front liners get? "Yeah, I was a machine gunner in Iraq." "OK. How does that qualify you for this technical position...Im sure we have an opening in the mailroom." I'm not hating on the front liners....I'm bout to man a turret of an ASV for the next year in Iraq. Month and a half till we go wheels up...wheee.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
REMF

This has no point.

Well, unless DVCAPI wants to prove he's an ass. That might be the point.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well played, sir.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Pray to your god and the gods of at least 6 other people that you don't get stuck with the 40th Signal BN after AIT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top