Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m banking on the Democrats and Social Security to take care of me!

I have stock, real estate, and a military retirement at age 60 and working on a second retirement check now. I can collect Social Security at age 67, it will be broke long before.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Paying off your house makes you feel good. Building investments that compound interest while maintaining your mortgage makes you wealthy.

Read the latest book by Ric Edelman. Then read the "Millionaire Next Door". Then read "Life or Debt" or Ramsey. These books will help you create your style and learn about financial planning.

Agreed.  One of Ric Edelman's "NEw Rules of Money" (that's the title of the book) is that no one ever got rich by paying off their mortgage early.  Take the money and invest it!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dont do any planning myself. I work with a FINANCIAL PLANNER. I am only 19 yet by living within my means, and working when I am not in school, I have been able to invest thousands dollars that will be going towards my retirement. I cannot stress the importance of working with a a financial planner.

Do you do pull your own teeth when you have a toothache or do you go to a dentist? Do you study the laws, and represent yourself when you are being sued or do you go to a lawyer?

Does it make much sense to do something yourself when there are people who can provide you with years of experience and knowledge for a reasonable price? NO

I would like to be able to retire at a decent age and live out my life without any fear of financial insecurity. I currently invest about 33% of my yearly income, because I am young, currently in school and live at home when I can, that rate of investment is very easily doable. Understandably if you have kids and your own home it becomes a bit more difficult to invest at that rate, that is where the financial planners come into play. They will help to get the most value out of your money maximizing your wealth.

SEE A FINANCIAL PLANNER. It is WORTH IT!!

James

i'm curious as to what your organization has you investing your money in at your age.  Mutual funds?  load or no-load?  annuities?  whole-life insurance?

are they fee or commission based?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont do any planning myself. I work with a FINANCIAL PLANNER. I am only 19 yet by living within my means, and working when I am not in school, I have been able to invest thousands dollars that will be going towards my retirement. I cannot stress the importance of working with a a financial planner.

Do you do pull your own teeth when you have a toothache or do you go to a dentist? Do you study the laws, and represent yourself when you are being sued or do you go to a lawyer?

Does it make much sense to do something yourself when there are people who can provide you with years of experience and knowledge for a reasonable price? NO

I would like to be able to retire at a decent age and live out my life without any fear of financial insecurity. I currently invest about 33% of my yearly income, because I am young, currently in school and live at home when I can, that rate of investment is very easily doable. Understandably if you have kids and your own home it becomes a bit more difficult to invest at that rate, that is where the financial planners come into play. They will help to get the most value out of your money maximizing your wealth.

SEE A FINANCIAL PLANNER. It is WORTH IT!!

James

i'm curious as to what your organization has you investing your money in at your age.  Mutual funds?  load or no-load?  annuities?  whole-life insurance?

are they fee or commission based?

Right now I have some money invested in the following:
EVBLX
FCNTX
FDAXX

Those were my initial investments mainly to provide some stability to my account. I have been talking to them about a high risk/return investment and they are going to get back to me with their ideas. Foreign investments were mentioned I believe.

I have only been working with him for a brief period less than 2 years, but I have had a wonderful experience with them. They are a private firm that works closely with you to work toward your goals as opposed to the larger firms that just want to sell you a fund or policy.
IM me if you would like their contact information.

James
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I save, but at 43 its a little early to be "planning" for retirement. If I am ever able to actually retire. A lot can happen in 30 years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, in 30 years you'll be 73 and won't even be able to count to three!  Spend it while you've got it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
That's an interesting question ... what age do you plan to retire?

I was thinking more along the lines of age 60.  I'm 33 now.  

Isn't the average life expectancy for the American male something like 73-74?  If you retire at 60 at least then you'll have a good long 13-14 years of retirement.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's an interesting question ... what age do you plan to retire?

I was thinking more along the lines of age 60.  I'm 33 now.  

Isn't the average life expectancy for the American male something like 73-74?  If you retire at 60 at least then you'll have a good long 13-14 years of retirement.

Right now, I am thinking semi-retirement at somewhere between 40 and 45. I'm 38. Don't think I'll be "fully retired" until I am "fully retired".
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My next step is to invest in a Roth IRA, but I'm not sure where to start.

Call Fidelity and ask for a Roth kit. The minimum is like $2,500. Start there. Once you have the money in, you can switch investments to a mutual fund of your choice. Check morningstar online or at your local library (for full access).

Vangaurd has Roth IRA's starting at $1000 minimum, and personally I fell Vangaurd is a better company for Roth's anyways.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call Fidelity and ask for a Roth kit. The minimum is like $2,500. Start there. Once you have the money in, you can switch investments to a mutual fund of your choice. Check morningstar online or at your local library (for full access).

Vangaurd has Roth IRA's starting at $1000 minimum, and personally I fell Vangaurd is a better company for Roth's anyways.

+1 on Vanguard.

To answer the original question, yes, I save a ridiculous amount of money for retirement each year.  I doubt Medicare and Social Security will be much of anything when I retire, so I plan on taking care of myself in the future, and passing on driving a tricked out SUV now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My retirement plan:
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I can and will retire when I turn 50, collecting 3% of my highest years salary for each year worked.  I stateed at 22yo.  you do the math.

I also have over 300K equity in my house and over $100K in my deferred compensation plan.\

Looking forward to 50.

My father retired at 45yo.

My grandfather is 95 years old with no medical problems. Nobody in my immediate family has ever had cancer, high blood pressure or heart disease. We live a long time.  So I'm gonna have a long retirement.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can't retire by 50 forget it.   Much older and you'll be too busy wiping up drool and changing your depends to worry about money.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm basically just a saver.  I put 15% into mutual funds in my 401k, and company matches 5% with stock.  I'm saving 6months take-home pay (almost there) for emergencies like unemployment, and then I'll start saving for 20% down payment for a house.

I'm really not doing too well with saving though, I need to quit buying guns. I think I'm going to start putting a percentage straight into savings so I can't touch it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Saving alone for retirement is for chumps.

If you want to retire well then you will need to plan.

If you only save you arent going to beat inflation.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a feeling that those of us that have planned for retirement, will be paying for those who haven't.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have a feeling that those of us that have planned for retirement, will be paying for those who haven't.  

Ya, me too.  Those who planned and saved will get taxed out the a$$ for the people who drive the Mercedes with spinning hub caps now...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Planner and Saver - Have a Hughes A/C - GM - Raytheon, Navy Reserve, and SSA "pensions" and 401K.  Ma D is working on County and SSA pensions, and 401K equivalent.

Had planned on Medical through both Hughes and Navy Reserve, but it appears neither are going to have the full originally promised.

Add in the family houses in So Cal and I'm planning to move out of here to a better area.  I'm not going to be rich, but I'm not going to have to be too worried about things.  Hope to buy where I can put a range in the back yard.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Saving alone for retirement is for chumps.

If you want to retire well then you will need to plan.

If you only save you arent going to beat inflation.

I think when people say "save" that sort of includes things like mutual funds, IRA and 401k/403b's and other investment instruments.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell I wasen't supposed to hit 30 Im 31

hookers ,blow ,corvettes and ARs weee!!!

I do have a litle money in some mutual fund cuz hey ya never know
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
At one time I did, but... My wife and had a baby at 40 years old. Her tubes were tied, and it failed 6 years later. Now we have a fabulous 3 year old beautiful girl! She will be in college when I should be retiring. So now retirement doesn't seem certain. My retirement is my rental properties. I won't have a house payment in a few years and the rentals are pure income.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on Vanguard.

To answer the original question, yes, I save a ridiculous amount of money for retirement each year.  I doubt Medicare and Social Security will be much of anything when I retire, so I plan on taking care of myself in the future, and passing on driving a tricked out SUV now.

No, No, you are misunderstanding. Open a Fidelty Roth IRA account. From there you can buy what ever mutual fund you want. That way you can change your fund allocations without doing a roll over.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya, me too.  Those who planned and saved will get taxed out the a$$ for the people who drive the Mercedes with spinning hub caps now...

Which is why everyone needs a ROTH IRA!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of you are planning to live far too long!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#26]
If Congress has no problem with reneging on the healthcare promises made to people who joined the military and served their country, do you think they'll give much of a damn, when crunchtime comes, that Roth IRA earnings are "supposed" to be tax free?  The only reason they are tax free now is because Congress says they are.  What if they change their mind?  I contribute to one but I am not counting on the rules to remain the same forever.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Pretty much the same thing.  Save as much money as I can, without making my current situation miserable.

I'm no financial planner, I just put some $$ into several different places each month: 50% into a mutual fund, 40% into the government TSP, and about 10% into savings bonds.

I will be retired from active duty in three years, and will receive half my base pay until the day I die.  

The smart thing to have done was to have started saving, even if only a small amount, when I first started out.  Kids never listen, and I was no different.

Same as above except I worked in a Goverment shipyard for 36 years on the waterfront and managed to get out without getting gassed,crushed,disememberd,burned to death or falling to my death like a few people seem to do every year.
I get about 70% of my base pay and can stay in the group health plan. Health care is IMHO the real wild card in retirement. I pay the same for insurance as an active employee. Congress can screw this up anytime the need to make a few cuts.
I got a few bucks in a Roth IRA, but it came along too late to do me much good.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Uhh...yeah,at this time I'm counting on the silver bullet retirement plan.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#29]
its all about the Thrift savings plan (TSP)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on Vanguard.

Insurance by the feds might have a better staying power,who knows. I do believe this issue will cause alot of turmoil in the USA.Hell how long have they been taking our money for that promise in the sky LIKE RELIGION!

No, No, you are misunderstanding. Open a Fidelty Roth IRA account. From there you can buy what ever mutual fund you want. That way you can change your fund allocations without doing a roll over.

ANY mutual fund co can do this also,as long as you allocate the minimums, like vanguard. Healthcare and energy are 25k minimums, and have a better than 12% min over 15yrs IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I save. I'll retire in six years and will have sufficient resources and then some. I don't plan. There is an old saying. If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#32]
The wife is into the roths and 401 type stuff. I just keep adding to my rental RE portfolio. If all goes as planned we will have a tidy monthly income in another 17 years when everything is free and clear.

echo6

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Every person here below the age of 45 that has a job should be maxing out a Roth IRA in their name.

Except for those of us who make too much to contribute to IRA's (roth or traditional).

My, I toss a ton into my retirement account (plan it each year to just about max out on the last paycheck), and toss money into other vehicles as well.

I do not personally plan, but I pay a trusted advisor who is pretty much kiking the market's ass in returns for the last three years that I have used him.  WOrth every penny in fees.

If all goes according to plan, I will be able to retire at 58 with about 150% of my current salary in annual funds to last as long as I can hope to live.

Geoff
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I am 32 and have about $30 in investments.  But.  I am getting serious now and am plotting my savings/investment thing even before I secured my employment (which has a terrific retiremet plan of its own).  I think with some planning I should be able to get 12% a year, taking it into my hands.  I am actually getting a graduate degree in investment.  That's what presumes my outlandish expectations.

But I'm not taking anything for granted.  My mom never planned for retirement and she's working now at 67to make ends meet. No way that is happening to me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#35]
+1 to Vanguard - they have very low expense ratios and have a very saver friendly website.

Remember one thing about saving for kid's college vs. savings for retirement (and I'm ripping this from the WSJ) - it's great if you can do both but if it's one or the other, the kids can take student loans, you're not going to get a loan to pay for your retirement.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I am in my departments pension plan, have a Roth, a defered comp 457 plan, some stocks and bonds, the house is worth double what I paid for it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Heck yes.  And some of my retirement saving is in guns.  Lots of cheap milsurps out there and they won't go down in value.  I'll seel them off for mad money some day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top