User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well if we all would learn how to not be smug AND drive Hybrids all at the same time, we'd all be safe.  Too bad the technology just isn't there.

Could it be because big oil and automakers have stymied any effort to bring alternatives to the market for many years? Right now, a normal car should average 40mpg instead of the 15-20 that's common on most models. It's rediculous that we are so obsessed with larger vehicles like suv's with engines that get less than 10mpg that we literally are being controlled on puppet strings by the oil companies while they do nothing but rake in obscene profits. And the really sad thing is that some people here defend it too and call it a free market. There's nothing free about it when our troops are dying for the ability of the spoiled American consumer to drive his or her suv in the future. Call Iraq a war on terror if you want but the reality of it is that Iraq has the 2nd or 3rd largest reserve of crude in the world and it all boils down to who's going to control it.

Uhm, I think you hit the wrong Favorites Link - DU is over ----------------------> that way.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well if we all would learn how to not be smug AND drive Hybrids all at the same time, we'd all be safe.  Too bad the technology just isn't there.

Could it be because big oil and automakers have stymied any effort to bring alternatives to the market for many years? Right now, a normal car should average 40mpg instead of the 15-20 that's common on most models. It's rediculous that we are so obsessed with larger vehicles like suv's with engines that get less than 10mpg that we literally are being controlled on puppet strings by the oil companies while they do nothing but rake in obscene profits. And the really sad thing is that some people here defend it too and call it a free market. There's nothing free about it when our troops are dying for the ability of the spoiled American consumer to drive his or her suv in the future. Call Iraq a war on terror if you want but the reality of it is that Iraq has the 2nd or 3rd largest reserve of crude in the world and it all boils down to who's going to control it.

Uhm, I think you hit the wrong Favorites Link - DU is over ----------------------> that way.

<-----------------------------------------------that way actually.   To the left.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet if we all drove hybirds, they would raise gas prices to $6 a gallon to make up for it.
That's business.

You got that exactly right, mjohn.
State governments and the federal gov. and the oil companies would never sit still for five seconds while just passively watching their revenue streams get slashed by 50%.

That's why I'm so glad that 98% of the population drives Flintstone mobiles while I drive a car that gets over 50mpg.

ETA: Ooops, DAMN!  There goes that smugness thing again.  
       It's hard, guys, it's really hard.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, I've got an idea - why don't the people who believe that the free market is a crock act on their beliefs? Move to a Communist country as soon as possible. I hear Cuba and North Korea are looking for more useful idiots people like you. From each according to their means, to each according to their needs, comrade!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My energy funds are doing fine.   Also, I'm sitting on a sleeper stock (PBLS) that is about to be a breakout energy company in the next few months.  

PBLS?  (PBLS.PK, right?)

What's so special about that?  Why is a $0.0225 stock interesting?

Other than I could buy 1000 shares for $20 and change...great if it goes to $1.

Jim

Read some of the DD on those sites and I think you will find this company is seriously undervalued.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Gotta love the free market.

As long as OPEC artificially limits the supply of crude there is no free market at work in oil/gas.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey, I've got an idea - why don't the people who believe that the free market is a crock act on their beliefs?

There is no free market in oil.  

Opec artificially limits the supply of crude.

EPA and Energy companies artificially limit the supply of refined gasoline.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And it's not even Hurricane season yet. That's right boys and girls, we're only a storm or two away for 80+ oil....

ahahahhahahahahahhahah!!!

We're all screwed.

Ooops, I think I meant to post this in the survival forum.

I'm trying to forget thank you very much. Time to fix the bike and have the wife drive the honda...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
oh shit peak oil we're all gonna die

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Wait, could it possibly be inflation mixed with normal market fluctuations?

No, it has to be peak oil oh shit we're dead

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA: Ooops, DAMN!  There goes that smugness thing again.  
       It's hard, guys, it's really hard.

no prob. its not as if you are enjoying the smell of your own farts yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I am suffering.

I need to get a job in the oil industry.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top