Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
A few days ago a friend was doing something with a utility trailer loaded with several thousand pounds. The toung slipped and smashed his finger. It almost cut it off, cut it too the bone and broke the bone too. I swear his finger was hanging by the meat that was on the bottom side of the bone.

everyone around started eithers getting faint or one guy started puking. I was just like, " dude , are you ok?" (stupid question I know).

One tuff Mofo, blood squirting all over, finger hanging and he never made a sound and his facial expression never changed, he fineshed what he was doing with one hand before he wrapped his finger up. O_o.

Awhile back a guy my uncle knew got his hand caught in a meat grinder, and it got stuck. He put what was left to his hand and the parts in a ziplock bag and drove himself to the local hospital, nurse fainted.

Im always careful when doing something that involved powertools.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The radial arm saw is probably the most dangerous tool in the "home" woodworking shop.  And the shaper in advanced home or commercial shops
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They make a table saw that will stop fast enough to be safe when it contacts human flesh

sawstop
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a guy take all four off at the first nuckle closest to the hand, I'll never forget that the first thing he did was remove his wedding ring.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of person decides to actually take the time to take a picture of something like that right after it happens?

I think I'd be more worried about, y'know, stuff like calling 911, getting it bandaged up, etc. But that's just me.

I'm actually kind of miffed I didn't get "pre-op" shots of my boo-boo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, my finger story. My daughter was two and she was following her older brother into the backyard, only he didn't know she was following. He shuts the sliding glass door fairly hard at just the time her hand was on the door frame. It cut off the ring finger on her left hand at the first knuckle, it was barely hanging by a strip of skin. Right thru the bone and all

Luckily the doctors were great, reattached it and it is perfectly normal looking today.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I will definitely be installing a safety-stop system on my next table saw.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here is a video of a guy actually putting his finger thru a saw
video here

That is pretty damned impressive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is a video of a guy actually putting his finger thru a saw
video here

That is pretty damned impressive.

That's the system I'm talking about.

Oh, and that's a hot dog, not his finger.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OK, my finger story. My daughter was two and she was following her older brother into the backyard, only he didn't know she was following. He shuts the sliding glass door fairly hard at just the time her hand was on the door frame. It cut off the ring finger on her left hand at the first knuckle, it was barely hanging by a strip of skin. Right thru the bone and all

Luckily the doctors were great, reattached it and it is perfectly normal looking today.

Thank God!

Poor little thing! Must have been terrible for her!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#12]
omg, you make guitars cmjohnson?!?!?

I have been wanting to do that for a long time now.  I even bought that big Ultimate Lutherie book.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard a story about a distant family member (or maybe he was a friend of the family, I can't remember) who cut off one of his hands while working with a saw.  He went to the hospital where they were able to reattach it.  He still had some cutting to do, so once he was released from the hospital he continued working with the saw, and he cut his OTHER hand off.

My grandmother told a story about her cousins or some other relatives.  They were around six or eight years old.  One was using a hatchet to hit a log, and another put his hand on the log and said, "Bet you can't!"  Right before the hatchet went down the kid would move his hand.  But after a few times of this, the kid got too cocky, and got a few fingers chopped off.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
How much did his finger repair cost?  I am up to about $250K on mine.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
some of you wanted to see the post op pics.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/TacticalJew/postop1.jpg

Is that dead skin on his middle finger?  It's white.  Isn't that dangerous?  Couldn't it cause gangrene or something?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank God!

Poor little thing! Must have been terrible for her!

She was so little I think it was harder on my wife thinking of her having to live with it like that, I think the first words from my wife to me on the phone were that she cut off her wedding ring finger.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that dead skin on his middle finger?  It's white.  Isn't that dangerous?  Couldn't it cause gangrene or something?

skin graph.

oh, and this is his second saw accident.

the thing is the guy is in a wheelchair and has trouble adjusting and manuvering. hard headed and he'l end up fingerless if not for good doctors.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

skin graph.

oh, and this is his second saw accident.

the thing is the guy is in a wheelchair and has trouble adjusting and manuvering. hard headed and he'l end up fingerless if not for good doctors.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
OMG...  

Here's hoping that he gets some feeling and motion back in a few of those!

Mike
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Lopped the end of my ring finger off last spring and still haven't put the guard back on it

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Still the World Champ...!

The Larimer County Coroner ruled the death accidental and said Morse's cause of death was "total morselization of body due to being pulled by a gloved hand into a commercial wood chipper."
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Ahhhh yes.......That gave the locals here something to talk about for a looooong time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:49:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

OUCH!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FWIW, the most dangerous piece of woodworking equipment is a shaper.

Big +1

The nastiest shop accident I've witnessed involved a shaper.
I've had a few close-calls with them, myself.

Shapers are no joke. Ripping with a radial arm saw can be dangerous as hell also.

I can't think of any time where you should be ripping with a radial arm saw.  That is what a table saw is for.

Post op pics look worse than the pre-op.

Hope the man keeps his dexterity.  That looks really bad.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top