[#4]
Are you mucking up a garand?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.  A mill.  

what gun, and what are you doing to it?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Pouring butterscotch over the workpiece? Nah.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that Velveeta cheese?

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF did you do?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
tag for learning WTF is going on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
De-earing a Enfield p17... Muhahahahahaahhah!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And what are these 'ears' and what do they do?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
You need to change your coolant.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rear sight and stripper slot...

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
You're a bad, bad boy!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Uh...WHY?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Uh...WHY?

1. Because I like to make the baby Jesus cry!
2. That's what the customer wanted.. I personally like to round them off like a Rem 30. But he wanted it squared off with a shelf for the base.
3. I know there some on here that will blow a gasket when they see this..

HAAHAHAHAHAH!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Uh...WHY?

Duh, Sea Monkeys can only shoot a de-earred Enfield.
LINK
SBG
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah-- I detect a late-1940s-style "sporterization." The ears are milled off to the radius of the receiver ring (not at all easy to do attractively) and scope bases or, traditionally, a Redfield Junior rail mount, would be brazed into place. I have a fer-reals 1940's sporterized M1917 that I inherited years ago, and it's a real honey-- Redfield Jr. rail and a Weaver K6 from the early '50s, issue barrel from Sept 1918-- it's really got some stuff. Well, treat her good, Fats, and do a good job. (Though one might have wished to see you take on the job with one which was less fortunate in the first attempt-- so be it. Just do a good job.)

Thinking about rechambereing to .300 WinMag while you're at it?

ETA: WOW-- five new posts in the time it took to write all that. I see now, it's a shop job. Very well-- carry on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]
damn you have a good camera, im using the universities super high powered-high speed internet and that pic took a few seconds to load!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ah-- I detect a late-1940s-style "sporterization." The ears are milled off to the radius of the receiver ring (not at all easy to do attractively) and scope bases or, traditionally, a Redfield Junior rail mount, would be brazed into place. I have a fer-reals 1940's sporterized M1917 that I inherited years ago, and it's a real honey-- Redfield Jr. rail and a Weaver K6 from the early '50s, issue barrel from Sept 1918-- it's really got some stuff. Well, treat her good, Fats, and do a good job. (Though one might have wished to see you take on the job with one which was less fortunate in the first attempt-- so be it. Just do a good job.)

Thinking about rechambereing to .300 WinMag while you're at it?

ETA: WOW-- five new posts in the time it took to write all that. I see now, it's a shop job. Very well-- carry on.

It was a barreled action when it came in.. Not the full rifle in the pic (grabbed it off of gunbroker).. Already hacked upon by someone else. When finished its going to be a .416 Rem mag (per customer request).
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Just curious how much does a job like this cost?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cutting off the ears? Or the whole enchilada? (chamber/ crown/ thread barrel,de-ear, open mag up, re do feed lips and ramp, install sights and scope bases and lastly blue or Cerakote it)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cutting off the ears? Or the whole enchilada? (chamber/ crown/ thread barrel,de-ear, open mag up, re do feed lips and ramp, install sights and scope bases and lastly blue or Cerakote it)

The whole change to a monster sized caliber
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a crazy bastard who's making one into a 460 Weatherby Mag.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me do the stock as well were talking turnkey, right? What caliber do you want? Irons or scope or both? Safari style or normal swivles?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Oh!  That's like filling down the sear!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me do the stock as well were talking turnkey, right? What caliber do you want? Irons or scope or both? Safari style or normal swivles?

Well, I was thinking of having something done with either a Brit Enfield that was all sporter up or a Model 1917 that was sportered.

I don't really know what caliber just something BIG, like 460 Weatherby or maybe one of the Nito Express calibers.

Something with a heavy barrel and a brake, no sights.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it like the Model 70 ya did for me.  Sweet 416.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I see no problem with it.

There's nothing wrong with taking a $500 piece of history and with judicious use of a mill and dremel transforming it into a garden variety $200 sporter that will never really appreciate.

Pissing on the historical implements of our veterans is great fun, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I see no problem with it.

There's nothing wrong with taking a $500 piece of history and with judicious use of a mill and dremel transforming it into a garden variety $200 sporter that will never really appreciate.

Well, when you pick up a sporter in a pawn shop that has been Bubba-ed to an unrepairable extent it doesn't seem like such a horrible thing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#33]
You should never have let tubgirl in your shop
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I just wanna know what the goop is!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Oh my god!  You better stay out of the Army surplus stores.  

You'll have a freakin' heart attack.

What with all those historical implements being transformed into camping gear and all.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Cut away!  Bad person?  I say it makes you a brave, foolhardy, or skilled person.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What with all those historical implements being transformed into camping gear and all.  

Yeah, because a 1918 built rifle that served in two world wars, fought in the hands of our grandfathers is the same as a canteen of unknown origin or a cot.

right back atcha.

If you don't respect the history of a battle rifle, fine. It's your gun to molest. But, it's RETARDED economy, because an M1917 is worth more unfucked with than sportered, and by the time you lay out the cash to do a proper conversion, you could have bought a more accurate, cheaper modern bolt gun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yeah, because a 1918 built rifle that served in two world wars, fought in the hands of our grandfathers is the same as a canteen of unknown origin or a cot.

right back atcha.

If you don't respect the history of a battle rifle, fine. It's your gun to molest. But, it's RETARDED economy, because an M1917 is worth more unfucked with than sportered, and by the time you lay out the cash to do a proper conversion, you could have bought a more accurate, cheaper modern bolt gun.

Would it make you feel better if I told you that I rescued another 1917 that wasn't fucked to bad and that I am currently restoring it to it's original glory
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work an an Army surplus store...and i love it...except pay day...it seems i get my money, and then it goes right back into the store.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#40]
If it's already at least partially screwed up improving it is not a bad thing.  Those Enfield actions were pretty nice. HERESY ALERT It's even better than a Springfield action for building a heavy caliber on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#41]
If it's already at least partially screwed up improving it is not a bad thing.  Those Enfield actions were pretty nice. HERESY ALERT It's even better than a Springfield action for building a heavy caliber on.

Although you can now get better actions for that.  If you're doing it for a hobby, why not?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Although you can now get better actions for that.  If you're doing it for a hobby, why not?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#43]

How about a milling in a Picatinny Rail and adding an EOTECh?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#44]

How about a milling in a Picatinny Rail and adding an EOTECh?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#45]
OMG quintuple post
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Ah-- I detect a late-1940s-style "sporterization." The ears are milled off to the radius of the receiver ring (not at all easy to do attractively) and scope bases or, traditionally, a Redfield Junior rail mount, would be brazed into place. I have a fer-reals 1940's sporterized M1917 that I inherited years ago, and it's a real honey-- Redfield Jr. rail and a Weaver K6 from the early '50s, issue barrel from Sept 1918-- it's really got some stuff.

I have that exact set up!..

also have some sort of comp on the front of it. but what a beauty.

I also have a un-buba'd 1917.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Does this make me a bad person?? Enfield...

Yes
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

right back atcha.

Would it make you feel better if I told you that I rescued another 1917 that wasn't fucked to bad and that I am currently restoring it to it's original glory

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rear sight and stripper slot...

www.gunsamerica.com/upload/976554404-1.jpg

Ah HAH.  Now I get it.  So, No it does not make you a bad person, Unless of course its not your weapon, then your screwed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It's your gun to molest. But, it's RETARDED economy, because an M1917 is worth more unfucked with than sportered, and by the time you lay out the cash to do a proper conversion, you could have bought a more accurate, cheaper modern bolt gun.

Oh yea, agreed!  The price of new Mauser actions are very affordable these days.  There's Charles Daley and CZ both putting out decent stuff.  Personally I'd never tweak an old battle rifle, but if given a stripped action I'd have no problem with it.  Otherwise there's no way to justify the cost.

There are so many sporterized, tweaked, and otherwise modified Enfields out there as it is, I'm sure if a sporterized custom Enfield is what someone wants, there'd be no problem finding something that you couldn't hurt by modifying it further.  One of those garden variety $200 jobs will do nicely.  It's just "not my bag".

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top