Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 7:58:06 AM EDT
Is a normal steel drum ok to store gas in, or does it need a liner? Were can you get the barrels at?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If the drum is not already rusted out, it should be ok, plus if it's the kind that is "closed" i.e. has two 2" bungs for openings as opposed to the "open head" where the whole top comes off.   Locally, I'd check one or more of those quick oil change places for used clean drums.  I understand they get their oil in drums.

FYI:  This is a typical Survival-type discussion item.  Lot of good info over there.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Where are you in TN? I just bought a nice pair of closed-top, painted 55 gal drums from a bulk fuel and oil supplier in Fayetteville. They were $20 ea, and in outstanding shape. No rust inside or out.

I found the guy by looking up the bulk oil and fuel suppliers in the phone book and calling around. Make sure the drums you buy are in good shape and buy some spare bung nut gaskets because they can get crimped, rotted, or lost and then you're out of luck sealing your drum.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Sparta.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm in Sparta.

There's a barrel supplier slightly west and south of Franklin, TN.  It's where I got my last steel barrel that I turned into a smoker.  Cost of the barrel was about $7, far less than the cost of the gas to go get it.   It was a once-used barrel that previously held corn syrup.

I'll try to find the name and phone number and post.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top