Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 7:25:04 PM EDT
I've always had a unnatural affection for the original 1960's AC Cobra.

I know they can be had in kit form these days.

Anyone ever build a kit car?

for you young types who never heard of the ac cobra, it had a 427 and quarter mile times in the 12 second range, top speed over 160

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
... Anyone ever build a kit car?...

I'm sure somebody, somewhere has actually completed one...

(Just my tip of the hat to the hundreds [thousands?] of guys with kit cars in various stages of incompletion, long since given up on, in garages and barns and under tarps all across the country. )

I've always wanted to try it, but I just know mine would never get finished...

And yes, a Cobra (real or kit) is one sexy beast!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
No, but I was thinking of assembling a '32 Roadster from various kit parts.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Factory Five Racing is not too far from me. I've toured their facility and it's impressive. Would love to build one of their kits!

www.factoryfive.com
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to be really careful before buying a kit car, there's lots of shysters out there after your money.  

I would suggest you find some kit car message boards and find out what's going on, not just one board, but several different ones, talk to the builders, find out what companies to avoid.

Caveat Emptor!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Factory Five Racing is not too far from me. I've toured their facility and it's impressive. Would love to build one of their kits!

www.factoryfive.com

I have been drooling over there 427 Replica for a few years, it would probably take me 2 years to finish it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
IATLTFF

in after the link to factory five

I want to win the lottery so I can get a coupe..
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The automotive shop teacher at the local community college bought a kit car and had his students put it together over a year.  Kinda a cool idea, since they were really enthusiastic about working on it vs. some old junker laying around or donated.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Not yet.  But one day I will build a Cobra.  Already got the engine that's going in it!

Woody
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My friend built a factory five Cobra (and it's for sale).  Even if you aren't interested in buying it, he'd be glad to discuss his experiences with you.  IM me and I'll give you his email address.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I haven't but what is the real appeal of building a kit car? I think you'll come out ahead, if you'd consider an old Shelby Cobra.

They're fun cars though.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't but what is the real appeal of building a kit car? I think you'll come out ahead, if you'd consider an old Shelby Cobra.

They're fun cars though.

You do know what real Cobras go for right???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

With all due respect, yes....... If I can't have the real one, I'd rather get something like an old '60's camaro or a 60's mustang fastback, restore it and drop a 454 or 351 in it, while it's not a Cobra but at least it's not a kit car.

Don't get me wrong, what is the main appeal of driving it?

I guess, as long as you enjoy driving it, I mean, what the heck, go for it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With all due respect, yes....... If I can't have the real one, I'd rather get something like an old '60's camaro or a 60's mustang fastback, restore it and drop a 454 or 351 in it, while it's not a Cobra but at least it's not a kit car.

Don't get me wrong, what is the main appeal of driving it?

I guess, as long as you enjoy driving it, I mean, what the heck, go for it.

Well to be honest the "real" cobras were kit cars.
The plus to the kit car is is that you get to pick every part you want in it. Drop whatever engine you want into it and call it a day.  With Corvette, Camaro, Stang, once you do anything outside of original you deminish the value of the car.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well to be honest the "real" cobras were kit cars.....

With all due respect, is this a standard reply from kit car owners, to justify their kit car ownership?

I guess, do what you think is best. Bottom line is we're all in the same league.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My father and I built a Sebring mx.  It was an austin healy replica of I believe 1962.  The factory added some bulge along the fenderwelt (midline) and some gentle flair to add more wheel room. The chassis was designed by some guy that did the penske indy cars for a while.  We added some hot rodder tweaks here and there but a very solid kit.  Took it to a few of the kit car national shows, it made two magazines and flat out flies.  We powered it with a ZZ1 chevy crate motor which was the best they had at the time and topped it with a holley pro-jection unit.  The best we ever did was fourth in nationals for show and tenth for run and gun.  In trying to lighten the car we didn't have enough fuel in the tank and were uncovering the pickup coming off the line so the quarter mile sucked.  It pulled bettet than 1.1g on the skidpad though.  I'm not sure how to post links and will have to go through some scrapbooks and scan photos to find a host but to be a little different it is sweet.  The reason we went with that model at that time is because it had more room in the footwell than the cobra kits of the day.  It had over 40,000 miles on it before it saw it's first trailer, and that was whewe lost the belt between Phoenix and Sedona in the middle of the summer and warped a head.  It now sits in a garage in Wisconsin waiting for it's reincarnation.  We figured at its' peak, tuned and tweaked it made 400 hp + or - and I think it weighed around 2200 lbs wet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well to be honest the "real" cobras were kit cars.....

With all due respect, is this a standard reply from kit car owners, to justify their kit car ownership?

I guess, do what you think is best. Bottom line is we're all in the same league.

Thanks.

1968 C3 L36 in the house....so no I'm not a kit car owner...I also had a 69 Stang with the Boss 302 when I was 18.
If your a "car guy" you just appreciate cars...Hats off to anyone who wants to put the time and effort to make thier dream car happen. I would feel no shame in owning a kit car (unless it was that Lambo/Feiro thing )

BTW What do you think of the new 1969 Camaro bodies that are offered now??? Does that make the restored car a kit as well???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been drooling over an ultima for a while now.

www.ultimasports.co.uk/
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

www.ultimasports.co.uk/

Looks sweet...bet they really haul...

ETA...

RED65
you can always check out the Cobra forums there are alot of guys who will offer to let you visit them while they are building or talk to you about options and issues that came up with the build.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

1968 C3 L36 in the house....so no I'm not a kit car owner...I also had a 69 Stang with the Boss 302 when I was 18.
If your a "car guy" you just appreciate cars...Hats off to anyone who wants to put the time and effort to make thier dream car happen. I would feel no shame in owning a kit car (unless it was that Lambo/Feiro thing )

BTW What do you think of the new 1969 Camaro bodies that are offered now??? Does that make the restored car a kit as well???

Tonster,

The F and L kit cars are definitely hideous but I see them every once in a while, for sale and people are buying 'em.....

The retro styles are alright, it really depends on what you plan to do with it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ultimasports.co.uk/

It is my understanding that they have the potential...and some indeed are, The fastest things on the road. We are talking Mcleren F1 performance. I have a friend in my Viper club that built a medium sporty one. It will dog a Twin Turbo viper into the ground. (Thats a 1000 HP on the Viper) On the track nothing will keep up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#21]
If I were to get a kit car, this one would be the one I'd get.

www.uscaterham.com/
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ultimasports.co.uk/

It is my understanding that they have the potential...and some indeed are, The fastest things on the road. We are talking Mcleren F1 performance. I have a friend in my Viper club that built a medium sporty one. It will dog a Twin Turbo viper into the ground. (Thats a 1000 HP on the Viper) On the track nothing will keep up.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If I were to get a kit car, this one would be the one I'd get.

www.uscaterham.com/

+1 (or is that +6?)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top