Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 4:16:22 PM EDT by Rodent]
I've been keeping track of my expenses in order to create a budget, and it's been an enlightening process. One of the surprises is how low my food bill is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:16:43 PM EDT
nails?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:16:55 PM EDT
Where is your investments/401-K expenses or is that not considered in your total?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
You eat Ramen don't you
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:19:11 PM EDT
Here are the highlights of the break down (after taxes and child support, which is 40%):

mortgage 50%
gas 4%
utilities 3%
groceries 4.5%
eating out 2.4%
house repair 2.8%
insurance 3.6%
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:
You eat Ramen don't you

I've reduce my expenses over the last few years to a degree that even I have trouble believing.

I buy oats, wheat and rice in bulk, then do a lot of foraging, hunting, fishing and gardening.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lokt:
nails?

LOL, I hit the wrong button before I was done editing. That's the GF's list of expenses. (And whatever she pays for her nails, it's worth it )
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:01 PM EDT
Your mortgage is way too large of a percentage of your take home pay. I was instructed by my financial planner to keep it at no more than 27% of my take home, that way I am able to invest for ~25%. I would really consider downsizing so that way when something goes wrong you will not be fucked.

James
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:22 PM EDT
Obviously you don't have 2 teenage boys at home. They're like locusts. Even when the one away at college comes home, the cupboards are bare afterwards. Unbelievable.

WBK
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:24:35 PM EDT
When we had three teenagers at home, the grocery bill was higher than the mortgage during the summer. I think they were running a soup kitchen while I was at work.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:26:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schwindj:
Your mortgage is way too large of a percentage of your take home pay. I was instructed by my financial planner to keep it at no more than 27% of my take home, that way I am able to invest for ~25%. I would really consider downsizing so that way when something goes wrong you will not be fucked.

James

I know, but that's what an ugly divorce does to your take-home pay. That's why I've cut everything else to the bone - so I can keep the home I built. If I win the next trial and no longer have to send 40% of my net to The Gorgon, my mortgage will be well within your financial planner's comfort zone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 4:33:45 PM EDT by leakycow]

Originally Posted By Rodent:

James

I know, but that's what an ugly divorce does to your take-home pay. That's why I've cut everything else to the bone - so I can keep the home I built. If I win the next trial and no longer have to send 40% of my net to The Gorgon, my mortgage will be well within your financial planner's comfort zone.

you were married to her, too!!!????
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:02 PM EDT
Either you eat Ramen Noodles or you just make a boatload of $$$ compared to your grocery bill.
You're a pilot right!? That explains!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rodent:

James

Well I hope everything works out for you. I can understand the strong desire to keep the home you built, just dont let your desire to keep it get you in over your head. That is a mistake that I made and I hate to see emotions cloud people's judgement to the point it hurts them.
Good luck on the court hearing.
James
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:41:33 PM EDT
My pet food budget is nearly as high as my family's
budget for food.

I run a dog rescue and, recieve no funding, so,
it sucks up alot of money.

My family eats like I ate when i was a kid.

Lots of rice.

Lots of Potatoes.

Lots of chicken.

We do lots of eggs too, since we raise chickens.

I never worked out the %, but, alot of
people waste ALOT of money on food.
Top Top