Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:15:04 PM EDT
I've been keeping track of my expenses in order to create a budget, and it's been an enlightening process. One of the surprises is how low my food bill is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
nails?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is your investments/401-K expenses or is that not considered in your total?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You eat Ramen don't you
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are the highlights of the break down (after taxes and child support, which is 40%):

mortgage    50%
gas   4%
utilities  3%
groceries  4.5%
eating out   2.4%
house repair  2.8%
insurance  3.6%
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You eat Ramen don't you

I've reduce my expenses over the last few years to a degree that even I have trouble believing.

I buy oats, wheat and rice in bulk, then do a lot of foraging, hunting, fishing and gardening.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
nails?

LOL, I hit the wrong button before I was done editing. That's the GF's list of expenses. (And whatever she pays for her nails, it's worth it )
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Your mortgage is way too large of a percentage of your take home pay. I was instructed by my financial planner to keep it at no more than 27% of my take home, that way I am able to invest for ~25%. I would really consider downsizing so that way when something goes wrong you will not be fucked.

James
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Obviously you don't have 2 teenage boys at home. They're like locusts. Even when the one away at college comes home, the cupboards are bare afterwards. Unbelievable.

WBK
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
When we had three teenagers at home, the grocery bill was higher than the mortgage during the summer.  I think they were running a soup kitchen while I was at work.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Your mortgage is way too large of a percentage of your take home pay. I was instructed by my financial planner to keep it at no more than 27% of my take home, that way I am able to invest for ~25%. I would really consider downsizing so that way when something goes wrong you will not be fucked.

James

I know, but that's what an ugly divorce does to your take-home pay. That's why I've cut everything else to the bone - so I can keep the home I built. If I win the next trial and no longer have to send 40% of my net to The Gorgon, my mortgage will be well within your financial planner's comfort zone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

James

I know, but that's what an ugly divorce does to your take-home pay. That's why I've cut everything else to the bone - so I can keep the home I built. If I win the next trial and no longer have to send 40% of my net to The Gorgon, my mortgage will be well within your financial planner's comfort zone.

you were married to her, too!!!????
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Either you eat Ramen Noodles or you just make a boatload of $$$ compared to your grocery bill.
You're a pilot right!? That explains!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

James

Well I hope everything works out for you. I can understand the strong desire to keep the home you built, just dont let your desire to keep it get you in over your head. That is a mistake that I made and I hate to see emotions cloud people's judgement to the point it hurts them.
Good luck on the court hearing.
James
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
My pet food budget is nearly as high as my family's
budget for food.

I run a dog rescue and, recieve no funding, so,
it sucks up alot of money.

My family eats like I ate when i was a kid.

Lots of rice.

Lots of Potatoes.

Lots of chicken.

We do lots of eggs too, since we raise chickens.

I never worked out the %, but, alot of
people waste ALOT of money on food.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top