Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 1:42:26 PM EDT
    So I made a deal to sell a Winchester Model 70 on the EE. The money order came in today so I went to the post office to ship the rifle. It is in a plain brown box about 4 feet long, 6 inches wide and 3 inches deep. I read the post offices policies before going incase I ran into any difficulties then headed out.
    I get to the Post office and I declare it to the clerk as being an unloaded rifle. I tell him I want it sent registered mail with insurance and ask if he needs me to sign an affidavit stating the rifle is unloaded. The guy gets  really nervous and goes looking for a book to look up how to ship it. After 10 minutes he can't figure it out  he calls the postmaster. She tells me it is very rare for someone to ship a rifle and needed to do some research on the subject. She then asks me if she can call me tomorrow and tell me how it has to be shipped. I have to work a double tomorrow from 7am until 11pm so I don't have time to play games with her. I'm going to try another post office tomorrow during my break at work, hopefully they won't be libtards there too.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this go smoother?

I thought about going UPS but have heard bad things about them...  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.  Don't tell them what it is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Isn't that Illegal?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that Illegal?

I don't think you have to declare it is a firearm, I may be wrong.  It does have to be unloaded, and going via Priority I think via USPS, but unless they ask, I don't think you have to vounteer the info.  I'll let the ar15.com lawyers chime in on this for the definitive answer.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
After he freaked out I then told him it was curtain rods....it didn't work.

I also thought you had to disclose what it was.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Send it UPS Ground Insured.
The only hassle is that you will have to go to UPS, not a UPS Store.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

It's also a good idea to print out copies of the USPS regs from the USPS website before going in. I learned this the hard way.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
same thing happened to me.   she was on the phone for 15 minutes talking before she came back to me.   then they wrapped it up.   and got the send to address.  and i was on my way.  

YOU have to bring a copy of the guy/gals FFL with you or they will not ship it.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Take the postmaster rules with you the next time!

They are online.  Print out the section you need.  I will look for it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Dickhead USPS delivered 700.00 wirth of money orders to the wrong address last week for some stuff I bought on ther EE. They cant find where they delivered the PRIORTY MAIL too. Dumb mother fuckers!!  Now I have to get a refund from Western union and that will take a month and cost 24.00.
\
Slug-O
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So UPS is better than the post office....interesting

I had heard it was the other way around.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Machine parts, thats what you were shipping.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hi-Point told me the same thing, but 'Machined-parts'...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i don't know why anyone would not say this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I live NY, stick with machine parts, you are not lying and it saves a huge hassle.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I mailed the "Machine parts" today through UPS.  Everything went smooth.

Thanks all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top