Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/3/2006 9:11:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 9:12:06 AM EDT by Epsilon]
I just got a new drive becuase my old one crashed.

I need to get a few documents from my old drive( I have a link to my old drive and have them saved) but it wont open them.

I think one of the reason is because on the old drive I was using "Microsoft Word" and now im using "602 Text."

I can get the documents to partly come up....and can read a few things here and there...but the rest of it is in some kind of code.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:14:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 9:16:07 AM EDT by KS_Physicist]
Why not reinstall Word?

Or, if you don't have Word available, install AbiWord www.abisource.com/ or Open Office www.openoffice.org/, both free. I think both open current MS Word documents.

Jim

ETA: Hadn't seen 602 Text before, I see it is also 'supposed' to be MS Word compatible. Haven't run into that problem before with a Word compatible processor...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:15:52 AM EDT
I'm not familar with "602 Text" but if it's just vanilla text editor then it will show all of Word's formatting information as junk.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:17:57 AM EDT
That would be the formatting code for Word.

Try this:
Word Viewer 2003 or reinstall Word if you have it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 9:19:50 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
So you have retrieved the files from your old drive, but they won't open on the new drive?

Two possibilities:

1. The file is corrupted.
2. The program you're using the view the files isn't compatible.

It is most likely number 2, but 1 is a possibility.

Try Microsoft's free Word Document viewer. If they open fine with it, the problem is your word processing software.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:48:48 AM EDT

I'm not familar with "602 Text" but if it's just vanilla text editor then it will show all of Word's formatting information as junk.

Yup thats whats its doing....but I can read bits and pieces of it.

I installed Abi and Microsoft Word Viewer...nothing.
Top Top