Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:19:25 AM EDT
Okay a couple of weeks ago a woman backed into me doing minor damage to the drivers door of my 2003 F250.

Her insurance is only willing to pay to have the dent pulled and the rub rail replaced..about $1000.  The only real way to fix it would be to have the door skin replaced and the paint blended, about $2000.  The truck allready has several body blemishes.  It's been keyed (minor), the has some dings from loading gravel in it, the hood winscreen came off and scratched the hood etc.  So it's not a pristine truck, but this is the worst damage by far.  And no it won't buff out.

Should I....

#1 Put the money towards having the damage fixed right and a complete repaint.  Note this would be a major tap on my money and the only reason I would want to do it would be to increase the resale value cause I'm not that big into a pristine vehicle.

#2 Just spend the grand on getting the dent pulled and leave it.

#3 Put the money towards an AR build and ammo that I've been saving for.

Explain your answers or give me some more options.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
[tinfoil hat] Ins. is monitoring this board[/tinfoil hat]

Buy a new gun
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Spend the money on getting the damage fixed as far as $1000 will go. It's honest, and I wouldn't spend extra to make it perfect since the truck is already damaged in other areas.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a truck! Go to the Ford dealer and get some matching touch up paint,spend an hour sanding, masking, and painting.This way you won't have a rust issue.The rest is just cosmetic,the next time you put it in 4 wheel drive and squeeze through a Jeep trail you will just scratch it again anyway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Guns and ammo. Trucks are supposed to have dents.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go the AR15 route, but that's cause I don't really care what my truck looks like as long as it isn't falling apart.  Scratches and dents add character.  But then if those things bother you, spend the $1000 on fixing it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Its a truck.  Not a show-winning trailor-queen.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Exactly. Besides, in 10 years which will be a more prized possession, an old truck or a sexy AR15?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Or you could use the money to lawyer up and force her company to correct ALL the damage. I fracking hate it when some insurance company doesn't want to pay to restore the vehicle to pre-accident condition. Cheap bastards.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. Besides, in 10 years which will be a more prized possession, an old truck or a sexy AR15?

I agree.  Dents and dings show character.  At least that's what I tell my self when I look in the mirror.  Besides, vehicles are not the best investment.  If you put $1000 back into the truck, do you think yo will get your investment back if you were to sell it?  I would go with gun plus ammo. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
If the dent bothers ya, take the inner door panel off and try pushing it out. then touch up the scratches.  If you make the dent worse , you can still have it taken care of right .
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a truck! Go to the Ford dealer and get some matching touch up paint,spend an hour sanding, masking, and painting.This way you won't have a rust issue.The rest is just cosmetic,the next time you put it in 4 wheel drive and squeeze through a Jeep trail you will just scratch it again anyway.

That's what I would do as well.

From a reale perspectice, I'm not sure spending $1000 to fix a dent on an old truck will increase its resale value by more than a few hundred dollars.  (Of course this depends somewhat on when you were planning to sell it - if you were going to sell it next week, I suppose a 2003 is still pretty new, but if you're planning on selling it in a few years, I really don't think it's worth $1000 to fix it).

Buy an AR and some discount hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#13]
You know you have been wanting a new AR and more ammo, so go be a buddy to your truck and change the oil on it, thank it for the dent  and get that new rifle you have been wanting
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy a gun, scew the truck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with the AR and ammo, and maybe a little touch-up paint.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Trucks should have marks on them, gives them character.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]
If the dent REALLY bothers you, you can buy a whole new junkyard door for less than a grand.  I would buy the AR also [actually AMMO would be my first choice, I already have guns, but that's just me...]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Absolutely -- unless your cowboy metrosexual.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Option C:

Invest the $1000 or keep it around as part of your "emergency cash".   Boring, but practical.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely -- unless your cowboy metrosexual.

+1
Go for the hookers and blow Guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#21]
If it were me I'd get the truck fixed - if I did the damage that's one thing, but I can't stand having dings or marks on my vehicles from other people's carelessness and stupidity. I look at the ding and it reminds me how lame and stupid people are.

Otherwise, $500 for ammo, $500 to the Minutemen.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#22]
BS. Her insurance company[IF you don't have NO FAULT garbage] HAS to put the truck back in the same condition as it was BEFORE the accident. If she backed into you it is 100% her fault. Go  above the adjusters head first, then if it gets you nowhere call your insurance agent and see what he can do. After that I'd file a suit against the insurance CO and the driver who hit you. They are screwing you to save a buck and you had nothing to do with the accident. Also contact your State Insurance overseer, some states have them to help the consumer who is getting screwed over. Insurance companies deserve to be sued, make billions and scream about 2G when it should be covered. Never saw a insurance company in a dumpy building, do you?

BTW, that Ford is not all that old is it? Gotta be a 2002 or 3, right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#23]
You should fix your truck, then go out and treat yourself to a nice manicure, pedicure, and get a deep cleansing facial treatment at the spa

Back to reality...trucks are trucks...without dents, scratches, etc....its just a big car.
If you spend that money on fixing that truck you better hand in your man card with the payment.

Guns and ammo.....and pick up some jerky while your there
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought my current truck -- a 1998 GMC Ex. cab 4x4 -- because it had dents.  I was tired a buying new trucks and getting pissed when they got door-dinged.

Buy the gun with the money.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I would get the truck fixed. You CAN get more money from insurance. If you tell them that you want money for the depreciated value of the truck they will even pay that. Which means that they will the difference in the amount of money the truck was worth before the accident and after.

James
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#26]
The ins company does not have the right to tell you where to have your vehicle repaired. You take it to the place of your choosing and get an estimate to repair it correctly. You then submit it and get your money for the whole amount. Then fix it yourself and pocket the rest of the money.

Next time have neck and back pain. They'll be happy to settle for only a couple of thousand $$.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#27]
No brainer. Get a gun. Your truck will continue to depeciate. A good gun at worst holds it's value.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Vehicals were made to fall apart and get dents.

I'd say screw it and spend the money the way you want.

GM
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a good truck and I hate to have it dented.  I agree that I could get more from the insurance company but it would be a pain in the ass and some of it would probably have to go to a Lawyer.  But all in all it's not a bad dent and in 4-6 years when I sell it it won't affect the value.

Its looking like my next poll will be "mid length or lightweight"

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#31]
it's not a dent, it's a character mark.  hookers and blow man
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#32]
bump for the weekday crew

(want a larger voting base)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top