Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 12:28:15 PM EDT
I want a new cell phone.  My cell phone does everything I need it to do... it's a phone.

I'm sick and tired of all the phones costing $300+ and the only difference is the ammount of bullshit features they add to the phone.

I want a flip-phone with no bullshit.

It has to have:
-  Battery life of at least a week
-  All-metal (possibly water resistant), indestructable case that will take my abuse, or a Naomi Campbell-style cell phone beating.

That's it.  That's all I ask!  Why doesn't somebody make this?  I don't want a camera, I don't want a phone that will sing to me, I don't want a gameboy or an email machine... I just want a durable phone that folds and has really, really kickass battery life.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]

hope apple introduces something soon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my phone to have every gadget they can cram into it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
hope apple introduces something soon.

Go home.  I don't need an iPhone that costs $500, is a fasion statement and they introduce a new one every week, making mine obsolete.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That reminds me of the "car phone" my dad used to have in the early '90s.  $.37/minute and it dropped so many calls that if a call lasted two minutes while driving, you were one lucky SOB.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I want a cellphone that has an earpiece volume I can fuggin hear without having to align the antenna to Jupiter and stand on one leg.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I want a new cell phone.  My cell phone does everything I need it to do... it's a phone.

I'm sick and tired of all the phones costing $300+ and the only difference is the ammount of bullshit features they add to the phone.

I want a flip-phone with no bullshit.

It has to have:
-  Battery life of at least a week
-  All-metal (possibly water resistant), indestructable case that will take my abuse, or a Naomi Campbell-style cell phone beating.

That's it.  That's all I ask!  Why doesn't somebody make this?  I don't want a camera, I don't want a phone that will sing to me, I don't want a gameboy or an email machine... I just want a durable phone that folds and has really, really kickass battery life.

I've got to think that with the number of people that can't have a camera phone at work increasing every day some manufacturer will pull their head out and make a decent phone without one.  I want exactly the same type of phone you do, rugged, simple, small.  Also I really want it to have bluetooth, about the only "modern" feature I actually want/need.  I have a nice digicam, don't need it on my phone, have a laptop, don't want a web browser, have an mp3 player, etc...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#9]
it's getting harder and harder to find basic phones without a bunch of stuff
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
They are easy to find here.  US Cellular has a basic Motorola flip phone with no major bells and whistles that is 1 cent with a new contract.

I was just in there yesterday, buying my RAZR, which is how I know they got em
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I actually started laughing when I saw the title of this topic.

Did you read the comic strip "Zits" a few days ago, by chance?

My cell phone has a camera and I don't have the account set up so that I can email the pictures to myself or anyone else.      It has games in it.   I can easily kick the chess game's ass.   And I'm pretty sure that its difficulty settings are backwards.   Difficult level means the computer is brain dead.  Easy means I actually have to think a bit to win.

The latest phones are just nutty, they've got so many features.

The only thing missing is an online, real time phone book/yellow pages, and I'm SURE that's coming
some time very, very soon.

Any modern cell phone does far more than Captain Kirk's communicator was even imagined to have.

CJ

I have Google Local on my phone which integrates a phone book with maps/ directions and has the satellite photos too. (its like maps.google.com on the cell phone).  So I guess your real time phone book isnt really missing
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just think how small they could make the damn things if they didn't have to cram all that crap in there.

With all the extra money they (I'm using verizon as my example) make selling ringtones and charging you to transfer pics you can see why plain-jane phones using the latest micro/battery technology are rare. Fargin' bastages.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I love the Gordon Gekko cell phone.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I dumped my "does everthing" motorolla, for a cheap nokia 6010(?).

It's simple,  and almost never drops calls.

Much happier.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I just switched to Cingular in January.  The phone I got is a Samsung SGH-X497.  It's a pretty basic flip phone.  No camera.  I think their asking price is $30, and I got it for free with rebate or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top