Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:10:37 PM EDT
What is the derivation of the term "technical" for pickup trucks with MG mounts?  What truly constitutes a "technical"? Any civilian vehicle used in a military capacity or is there a loose "specification" for these mobile corpse carriers?

Your tolerance for my ignorance is much appreciated.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
generally isn't it a pickup with an antiaircraft MG mounted in the bed?

sorry, i don't know the technical definition....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It's "technically" a combat vehicle? <shrug>
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
In Mogadishu the guns for hire that protected the reporters were referred to by their reporter employers as technicals.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In Mogadishu the guns for hire that protected the reporters were referred to by their reporter employers as technicals.

I think the term predates our adventure in Somalia, but I'm still wondering where it came from.  Is it just some third world insurgent term that stuck?  One part beer can and one part 12.7mm MG?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually that is where the term originated.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually that is where the term originated.

My wife has told me that when she was in YCC (Youth Conservation Corp) that they used to travel around in old deuce-and-a-halfs and they called them technicals.  Since this was in the late 70s, the Somali homies must have gotten the term from their stint with YCC, LOL.  Probably learned to shot there too!

I'll take your word for it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
That is when the term entered the US military lexicon.  Since Somalia any modded civilian truck with a gun is called a technical
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

technically a piece of shit.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

technically a piece of shit.

www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-10-19990422-f-7910d-518.jpg

That much I knew!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Could have sworn it came from the Toyota Wars. (Chad/Libya in the 1980s). My memory is a bit hazy on the issue, but I seem to recall journalists covering the war required locally acquired security people, it was written on the books as a 'Technical expense'

The thought that it came about in Somalia probably comes from the fact that Americans had no great reason to care what a converted pick-up truck was called as they never dealt with them before then.

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top