Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 2:55:23 AM EDT
Our Biggest Gun Problem? The NRA

SEATTLE - The biggest gun problem in the United States?

The NRA.

Law-abiding gun owners deserve better than an obstructionist, fear-driven organization that has about as much to do with the 2nd Amendment as I do.

By fueling paranoia, the NRA has convinced even non-members that ANY gun law is really a step toward having federal agents busting down doors to confiscate people's guns.

The NRA has blocked efforts to end what's called "straw sales": Buying handguns in bulk so they can then be turned around and sold to people who wouldn't otherwise be able to pass a background check.

The NRA has stymied attempts to shut down the ability for anyone attending some gun shows to walk out with any weapon their money can buy without so much as having to show a drivers license.

Laws to limit individual handgun sales to one a month: Blocked.

Laws to ban semi-automatic weapons that can be converted to automatic fire: Blocked.

U.S. gun laws are like Swiss cheese, with enough holes to slide a machine gun through.

The NRA has deluded people into believing that the 2nd Amendment means if it has a trigger and a barrel, everyone should be allowed to own one.

Want to stop the gun carnage in this country?

Find a more reasonable gun rights organization to replace the NRA.

Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at [email protected]

www.komotv.com/kenschram/story.asp?ID=42647
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]

The NRA has deluded people into believing that the 2nd Amendment means if it has a trigger and a barrel, everyone should be allowed to own one.

Those bastards!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#2]
ROFL at the video of the dude pulling guns out of his baggy jeans!
Is that supposed to be scary?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's racist.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#4]

The NRA has blocked efforts to end what's called "straw sales": Buying handguns in bulk so they can then be turned around and sold to people who wouldn't otherwise be able to pass a background check.

Ummmmmm, since when did a "straw purchase" have anything to do with buying in bulk? It makes no difference if you buy 1 or 100, if you buy the gun just so you can turn it over to someone who can't buy it or doesn't wish to buy it, then it's  a straw purchase.

Of course I suppose this fucktard wanted to make it sound just as bad as possible, so he writes it as if a straw purchase means someone goes in and buys everything on the shelf, then hands it over to gangs and Al-Qaida members.

These people's hate for the NRA just shows how effective they really are. It's why I remain a member.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Why don't these assholes just come out and say what they really want? Just say it, you want an outright ban on guns. It's as simple as that. Because no matter what legislation is passed it's still not good enough:

1. NFA
2. GCA
3. MG ban
4. '89 import ban
5. '94 AWB
6. Brady

It goes on and on....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why don't these assholes just come out and say what they really want? Just say it, you want an outright ban on guns. It's as simple as that. Because no matter what legislation is passed it's still not good enough:

1. NFA
2. GCA
3. MG ban
4. '89 import ban
5. '94 AWB
6. Brady

It goes on and on....

For the same reason liberals never openly state their full intent.....because they know if they shared their real intentions, nobody would vote for them. That's the difference between conservatives and liberals. Conservatives let you know up front what they stand for. Meanwhile, liberals try to hide about 75% of their agenda, knowing that America would in large abandon them if they laid it all out there. Of course once they assume control over the senate and house, the gloves will come off and they'll try to push through all of their extremist bullshit. That's why we must fight to make sure they never get a majority ever again.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Schram needs to bone up on civics - the NRA hasn't blocked one letter of any law, anywhere, legislators did that to preserve their political livelihoods.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I sent Ken an email expressing my dismay at his erroneous information, and offered to have a discussion regarding it.  Wonder if I'll get anything more than a "Piss Off NRA Stooge" reply.....

Woody
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I sent him an E-mail-

I want to thank you for your article on the NRA. I hadn't realized everything they had done in the name of the "Constitution". It amazes me that someone would actually go as far as they had, I had NO idea.

Thanks to your article I am now a paid member of the NRA because of their wilingness to protect the Second Amendment. It was the least I could do

NonConformist

BTW- I AM and have been a member of the NRA for a while
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:05:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Old Kenny boy sucks dick for cheeseburgers.

That is all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Slow news week. Gotta stir up something, just for the attention and ratings.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Proud to be a life member of such a problem organization

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Proud NRA member here, for many years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#14]
SEATTLE - The biggest gun problem in the United States?
Terrorism?  Illegal Immigration?

The NRA.

So, in your opinion, an organization dedicated to preserving a God-given right specifically outlined in the Bill of Rights is a bigger threat than an organization who admits one of their goals is the complete destruction of the western world?

Law-abiding gun owners deserve better than an obstructionist, fear-driven organization that has about as much to do with the 2nd Amendment as I do.

I wonder how you would feel about an organization dedicated to preserving the right to free speech?  Religion? The right to not be subject to unreasonable search and seizure?  (Insert any given Constitutional Amendment here)

By fueling paranoia, the NRA has convinced even non-members that ANY gun law is really a step toward having federal agents busting down doors to confiscate people's guns.

Because it is.  Every law that we allow to pass that further restricts our freedoms as Americans, the closer we are to losing those freedoms.

This is a lie.  Purchasing a firearm with the sole intent of reselling it to someone prohibited from owning firearms is already illegal.  I believe that you are fueling paranoia in this instance.

The NRA has stymied attempts to shut down the ability for anyone attending some gun shows to walk out with any weapon their money can buy without so much as having to show a drivers license.

It is legal for one individual to sell a firearm to another individual, although laws to vary from state to state.  It is not legal for a Federal Firearms License holder to sell "cash and carry" to an individual.  In my experience, the vast majority of sellers at gun shows are FFL holders, with the occasional individual walking around trying to sell something from his collection.  I fail to see how an individual selling a personally owned firearm at a gun show is any different than selling it in a home, or any public place.

Laws to limit individual handgun sales to one a month: Blocked.

Would you support restricting the sale of newspapers to one per month?  Of course not, that would be a silly law, and it could be considered a restriction of free speech, which I believe is a right enumerated in the Bill of rights.  But, it wouldn't be any sillier than restricting sales of firearms to one per month, which I believe would a restriction of another enumerated right.  
(By the way, I really have no idea what this would supposedly accomplish...  Someone who wants to commit a crime which requires two firearms, but wants to acquire those firearms legally, would have to wait 30 days before committing his crime??)

Laws to ban semi-automatic weapons that can be converted to automatic fire: Blocked.

Converting (or manufacturing) a fully automatic weapon is already illegal.  Banning a firearm because someone with technical knowledge and access to a machine shop could conceivable create something illegal is "really a step toward having federal agents busting down doors to confiscate people's guns."  How else could you possibly enforce your ban on people unwilling to comply?  

U.S. gun laws are like Swiss cheese, with enough holes to slide a machine gun through.

So how are they different from every other law on the books of the U.S.?

Well, actually, Sir, that is exactly what the Second Amendment says.

Want to stop the gun carnage in this country?

Yes, I do.  That is why I am a law abiding, armed citizen.  I will not allow a criminal to harm myself or my family.  I believe that that will stop any gun related problem that might arise.

I am all for any organization that vigorously defends the second amendment.  I believe that my right to defend myself is the most basic step in defending all of the other rights I enjoy as an American.

I am aware that I will not change your mind on any of these issues, but I felt it necessary to counter some of your ideas with my own.  I likely sound as unreasonable and backwards to you as you do to me.

Have a nice day.

efpeter
Indianapolis, IN
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]
It's always good to see how Democrats think.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

1. NFA
2. GCA
3. MG ban
4. '89 import ban
5. '94 AWB
6. Brady

It goes on and on....

To be technical, items 2 and 4 are the same law.  So is the '97 ban.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#17]

i just tapped out an e-mail to that douche face:

Mr. Schram,

In response to your recent editorial, I thought I would write to relate a story.

Recently, a long time friend of the family came north from Connecticut to spend a weekend relaxing in the relatively remote area of Maine that myself and my family occupy. late one night the topic of conversation turned to guns, and amazingly enough, this gentleman put forth an argument very similar to the one you have presented. Truth be told, I've had quite a few folks from Massachusettes, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey who vacation in my area bring up similar arguments. The interesting thing is that there is a common thread linking all of these people together. None of them are gun owners.

The argument you present seems logical to you because you don't know that all semi-automatic weapons can be converted to full-automatic weapons with the right tools and knowledge. If we were to be "reasonable" and accept your ban, we would loose all of our semi-automatic firearms, including pistols.

The argument you present seems logical to you because you don't know that guns already have been confiscated by federal agents from many Americans, from New York to California, and recently in New Orleans.

The argument you present seems logical to you because if you've actually read the text of the Second Amendment, it was a quick skim as that's all you could possibly stomach.

The argument you present seems logical to you because you've never had to pay a special tax of two hundred dollars, and go through an application process that includes an exhaustive FBI background check while taking months (and even years) to receive approval before you could write your column.

The argument you present seems logical to you because you've never had to stand in lne at a police station waiting to get finger printed for your application to practice the First Amendment.

However myself, and millions like me, know your full of it, because everything you don't know, we've had to live through.

Regards,

Bullyforyou

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If we were to be "reasonable" and accept your ban, we would loose all of our semi-automatic firearms, including pistols.

*sigh*

Why can't people remember their basic grammar school English courses?

A perfectly fine response, torn asunder by the wrong word...

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yep, its called the GOA - Gun Owners of America - one of the ONLY "no compromise" organizations
Thanks for the advice Kenny!

www.gunowners.org/
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Proud to be a life member of such a problem organization

+1!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Those are some very well thought out and written responses to this guys article.  Thanks for taking the time to send him a note.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I see news clips of muzzies in Iraq carrying full auto, rpgs, etc. If the news media can stand to get close enough to those guys for a story without cringing, surely they would trust a fellow 'Murican (me) with one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If we were to be "reasonable" and accept your ban, we would loose all of our semi-automatic firearms, including pistols.

*sigh*

don't worry, i spell-checked before i sent and the grammer thingy caught it. i always spell check for exactly that reason...

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#26]
As a lifetime NRA member, I can see that t didn't taking a lot of convincing the gun control didn't work very well.

With images of the 911 WTC/Pentagon attack, , the lawlessness during the Hurricane Katrina/NOLA debacle, and to a lesser extent the Wash DC/Beltway Sniper.  Many people in the general public have wised-up to the arguments of the anti-gunners, with the exception of the news media and the staunch anti-gun supporter.

The anti-gunners general philosophy is that "guns are bad, and they must be controlled."  It will take many years for the antis to get any legislation thru on the Federal level(so that the sheeple will forget, but how can you forget 911 and the Katrina/NOLA?), that is why the anti-gunners are focusing on the state-level in states where their chances are better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Response:

Hi Ken,

I just wanted to comment on your article.  Let's assume for the sake of argument that you actually believed in the Second Amendment, and let me put your article in a different light with regards to liberties.

Take every mention of NRA, substitute ACLU, take every mention of 'gun', and substitute free speech.  If you truly believed in the Second Amendment as part of our Constitution, then you should hold it in the same regard as the First Amendment and others.  If the ACLU felt that way, we wouldn't need the NRA.

Sincerely,
xxx
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*sigh*

don't worry, i spell-checked before i sent and the grammer thingy caught it. i always spell check for exactly that reason...

Phew

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yep, its called the GOA - Gun Owners of America - one of the ONLY "no compromise" organizations
Thanks for the advice Kenny! href=www.gunowners.org/

I'm with you on that. Although I am an NRA member I believe the GOA is more on target to my own principles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#30]

"The biggest gun problem in the United States?"…"Want to stop the gun carnage in this country?"

"Law-abiding gun owners deserve better than an obstructionist, fear-driven organization that has about as much to do with the 2nd Amendment as I do."

Oh.. the irony.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#31]
My response:

Rather than myself responding to your article, I’ll let the Founding Fathers of our country respond …………….

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

To model our political system upon speculations of lasting tranquility, is to calculate on the weaker springs of the human character.
        ---Alexander Hamilton

The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
        ---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46

[W]hereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all promiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle; and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it.
        ---Richard Henry Lee, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms has been recognized by the General Government; but the best security of that right after all is, the military spirit, that taste for martial exercises, which has always distinguished the free citizens of these States....Such men form the best barrier to the liberties of America" - (Gazette of the United States, October 14, 1789.)

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380)

"The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

You see the difference between you and me is the fact that I hold these words from our Founding Fathers dear to my heart and they still ring true after generations, even more so today.

Now a few quotes from some famous people who think like you………….

"Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed by sister democracies such as Canada and Britain. Given the frontier history and individualist ideology of the United States, however, this will not come easily. It certainly cannot be done radically. It will probably take one, maybe two generations. It might be 50 years before the United States gets to where Britain is today. Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic - purely symbolic - move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation. " - Charles Krauthammer,The Washington Post, Friday, April 5, 1996, page A19 op-ed piece entitled "Disarm The Citizenry"

"I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns." Senator Howard Metzenbaum 1994

"[the United States] can't be so fixed on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." - President Bill Clinton Piscataway, NJ March 1, 1993

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so." -- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945), April 11, 1942, quoted in Hitlers Tischegesprache Im Fuhrerhauptquartier 1941-1942. [Hitler's Table-Talk at the Fuhrer's Headquarters 1941-1942], Dr. Henry Picker, ed. (Athenaum-Verlag, Bonn, 1951)

"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins." -- Former Mafia hit man turned informant Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Adolf Hitler
The size of the lie is a definite factor in causing it to be believed, for the vast masses of a nation are in the depths of their hearts more easily deceived than they are consciously and intentionally bad. The primitive simplicity of their minds renders them a more easy prey to a big lie than a small one, for they themselves often tell little lies, but would be ashamed to tell big lies.

Which group would you proud to be associated with.......................

Quib
Proud NRA Member and gun owner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Let us know if any of y'all get a reply to your emails.  I have not received a reply to an email I sent him regarding a previous article.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Let us know if any of y'all get a reply to your emails.  I have not received a reply to an email I sent him regarding a previous article.

Let's just say I ain't holding my breath for the response...

Woody
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I like how this "reporter" thinks he can dictate what MY rights are , i wonder how he would react to someones definition of the 1st, amd. that would restrict MARXIST journalists "right" to have their "opinions" printed in newspapers
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*sigh*

Hope your spell checker had a mind reader....loose is a word, it's just like when someone says there instead of their...spellchecker doesn't flag it cause it's spelled right... but it's the wrong word.

No Expert

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's racist.

OH BOY!

SOMETHING IS LABELED AS RACIST.

I am fucking amazed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I'll be fisking this thing tonight, probably.  And I'll send him a copy, not that it will do any good.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#38]
gentlemen, this is a new fire mission.  go get him  [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You won't. Acc.to my brother who used to live out there, Schrom's a big-time liberal, know-better- than-everybody-else blowhard. Been there for years, "fighting the Good Fight" for the "little people", even though Schrom wants nothing to do with them personally.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#40]
What is really funny is this quote from another one of his articles:

I'm paranoid that at some point in the not-to-distant future, our children and grandchildren will ask why we didn't do more to preserve the constitutional freedoms that our fathers and grandfathers died to protect.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Dear Ken

I was a police officer before I was forced to leave police work due to an injured back.

During my career as an officer, I responded to calls and in well over 95% of the time, took a report on a victim of violent crime.  Only about 5% of the time were we able to arrive in enough time to stop an assault (rape, kidnapping, robbery, domestic violence, etc., etc.)

The only time the "victim" successfully defended themselves is when they had a firearm, and either it's mere presence or use stopped them from being either kidnapped, or raped, or killed, etc.

The NRA fights for MY rights and millions of others like me who don't want to be a victim of violent crime.  You and all your fellow liberals would LOVE to see all the law abiding citizens have extremetly limited access or NO access to firearms, and the ability to defend ourselves, but the NRA stops you again and again.

After reading your editorial, and vomiting, I promtly called the NRA and became a LIFE MEMBER.  And I'm sending your opionion editorial and my response to dozens and dozens of my friends in the hope that they will JOIN the NRA or before LIFE MEMBERS if they are only paying a year-to-year membership.

When you, or one of your close friends or relatives are raped, assaulted, robbed or killed, I hope you think about what MAY have happened if they had been able to easily and legally obtain and carry a firearms for their protection.  But you probably won't, as such an act would require intelligence.

Now a LIFE NRA member,
Michael Abbott
Pebble Beach
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Very nicely written Spy4, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Where's the delusion?  That's what a military arms are.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]
... Hey man, thanks for the reminder to send in this year's NRA membership dues!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#45]

What part of, "...shall not be infringed." does this sycophant understand?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Can one donate anonymously?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#47]
At least he responded.

Am I A Liberal Nut Case?

March 31, 2006

SEATTLE - I said gun violence is a huge problem in this country. (See that commentary here.)

Well, a whole lot of people said I'm just a liberal nut case.

I said the NRA should be done away with. (See that commentary here.)

A whole lot of people said "thanks" for reminding them to renew their membership.

William Ray wrote: "I will continue to pay my dues...the NRA has the power...to protect my rights, and thanks to them I have the right to protect myself and my home."

Paul Kurrle: "Face it. People murder people. Taking guns away from people doesn't stop bad people from killing. It (just) leaves the innocent ones unprotected."

Greg Schmidt: "Ken...if guns kill people, then I'm going to blame my spelling mistakes on my pencil."

Greg Smith: "I don't own a gun...I've never shot a gun...but if the situation necessitated it, I'd expect to exercise my constitutional right (and be able to go out and buy a gun)."

Glen Dilbeck: "The NRA protects our rights from the (assault by) the far left (and) I just mailed them an extra $100 after hearing your garbage."

Jack Kane: "I'd like to 'share my thoughts' with Ken Schram, but I don't quite know what to say to an idiot."

And finally, from Richard Smith: "People that own guns - (who) responsibly own guns - hope that idiots like you just shut up.

OK. I'll shut up now.

Have a good weekend.

Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at [email protected]

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice Kenny!

www.gunowners.org/

Oh yeah, how many anti-gun laws did the GOA block.  The NRA's record is clear from the beginning of this post.

NRA life member
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top