Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 4:50:51 AM EDT
How good is a 20 gauge with buck or slug for self defense?  How much does it kick in relation to a 12 gauge?  I know the 12 is the king of the shotguns and rightly so but what would you consider the 20?  Is it a 45 – 9mm topic?  I know I don’t want to be shot with one but that does not make it a good choice for self defense.  

How about hunting…  Upland small game only?  Rabbits, to Chucker?  Or is it good for pheasant as well as peasants?  I know they make buck and slug for it but is it like deer hunting with a 30-30 or 223?  Marginal at best?  It’s an 870 so it takes 3” mags.  How much do they kick?  What kind of knock down power do they have?  Would you turkey hunt with a 20 gauge?  

This will not be a gun for a woman or a child.  So there is no reason to use a 20 because of low recoil.  I just got a good deal on one a while back and it has been sitting in the safe collecting dust.  

thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#3]
For home self defense - the 20 ga will work and not penetrate walls. same with 12 ga.

For hunting - both will work as well.

I hunt with a 12 gauge and chase all upland birds, waterfowl, coyote, pig, bobcat etc... no large game as i live in CA and there is no such thing as shooting lanes, tree stands or feed plots and i dont bow hunt so it is all rifle shots for large game.

You dont need buckshot to shoot birds or rabbits as matter of fact the only thing I use buck for on the above is coyote and bobcat while pig is all slug! Shot patterning is all you need to shoot and kill the above effectively. I usually shoot 12ga 2 3/4" # 6 or 7 shot and have no problems retreiving the game after wards. Take a piece of cardboard and shoot it at 10, 15, 20 ,30 yards etc... to see where your pellets are hitting.

I have also shot all the above with a 20 ga except pig.

Kick WILL NOT be determined by gun but rather shot type, size etc... My  stevens single 20 gauge with light loads kicks harder than my 12 ga extrema 4 with hot loads. However when comparing rounds in same gun the kick is ony related to the shell.

For self defense the 20 would work with buckshot i would not use a slug because I like to fill the hallway when I need to!

Turkey stick with the 12 in 3".    
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For home self defense - the 20 ga will work and not penetrate walls. same with 12 ga.

Stop right here and go to the Box O' Truth site mentioned above.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I deer hunt every year with a  20 gauge. I use a rifled barrel and lightfield slugs. At 100 yards you still have over 1000 foot pounds of energy with a 7/8 ounce slug.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Not the best choice, but better than a 9mm.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
go here and read this thread.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=193319
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top