Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 8:27:09 PM EDT
Mentally unfit because he's a Christian?  Any bets on how long this man lives?  I'm thinking someone offs him within the next week even though he's been released.

Those sick *O#^#$*$O...Afghanistan can burn in hell.

HH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Afghan who became Christian freed from prison

Rahman judged mentally unfit to stand trial

AP file Abdul Rahman, an Afghan who converted from Islam to Christianity, is interviewed during a March 16 hearing in Kabul, Afghanistan.

• Case dismissed
March 27: An Afghan court dismisses the case against Abdul Rahman, who was facing possible execution for converting to Christianity from Islam. NBC's Andrea Mitchell reports.
Today show

Updated: 12:17 a.m. ET March 28, 2006
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan man who had faced the death penalty for converting from Islam to Christianity has been released from prison after the case was dropped, the justice minister said Tuesday.

The announcement came after the United Nations said Abdul Rahman has appealed for asylum outside Afghanistan and that the world body was working to find a country willing to take him.

Justice Minister Mohammed Sarwar Danish told The Associated Press that the 41-year-old was released from the high-security Policharki prison on the outskirts of Kabul late Monday.

“We released him last night because the prosecutors told us to,” he said. “His family was there when he was freed, but I don’t know where he was taken.”

Deputy Attorney General Mohammed Eshak Aloko told the AP that prosecutors had issued a letter calling for Rahman’s release because “he was mentally unfit to stand trial.” He also said he did not know where he was being held.

He said Rahman may be sent overseas for medical treatment.

‘Abdul Rahman must be killed’
Hours earlier, hundreds of clerics, students and others chanting “Death to Christians!” marched through the northern Afghan Mazar-i-Sharif to protest the court’s decision Sunday to dismiss the case.

“Abdul Rahman must be killed. Islam demands it,” said senior Cleric Faiez Mohammed, from the nearby northern city of Kunduz. “The Christian foreigners occupying Afghanistan are attacking our religion.”

Several Muslim clerics have threatened to incite Afghans to kill Rahman if he is freed, saying that he is clearly guilty of apostasy and deserves to die.

Rahman, 41, was arrested last month after police discovered him with a Bible. He was put on trial last week for converting 16 years ago while he was a medical aid worker for an international Christian group helping Afghan refugees in Pakistan. He had faced the death penalty under Afghanistan’s Islamic laws.

International outcry
The case set off an outcry in the United States and other nations that helped oust the hard-line Taliban regime in late 2001 and provide aid and military support for Afghan President Hamid Karzai. President Bush and others insisted Afghanistan protect personal beliefs.

U.N. spokesman Adrian Edwards said Rahman has asked for asylum “outside Afghanistan.”

“We expect this will be provided by one of the countries interested in a peaceful solution to this case,” he said.

No country has yet offered asylum to Rahman, said an official familiar with the case who declined to be named because of its sensitivity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Freed from prison? Well that is going to piss off one of our resident ROP apologists!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
10:1 he gets stoned to death before tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully he gets airlifted out of country ASAP. I wish him luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
He's just praying to a god most Afgans don't want tp pray too.
I say he gets his head seperated form the rest of his body.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm betting this was some sort of political deal
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
He will proably be living in Michigan by the end of this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top