Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:24:21 PM EDT
Just had something weird happen to my Computer.

The desktop went blank, my icons all disappeared, then they came back except for Windows media player and any .xls, .doc, .mp3, .jpg, .jpeg that were on the desktop or in folders that were only(not in any other directory) on the desktop, I losted about 10 gigs worth of MP3 files alone.  I have backups of all those music files and some of the other files on my laptop so I can just restore them over the network.

But any ideas as to why this happened?

I am running Computer Associates e trust Anti Virus and Personal Firewall and Pest Patrol anti Spy Ware.  Scans are clean.

I am glad I have backups.

But why would this happen?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
On Etrust are you running Vet or InoculatelT? Vet scanning seems to miss lots of stuff. Switch it to InoculatlT and scan manually. Do ont rely on realtime monitor
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Have scanned multiple times manually.

Scanned the whole Hard Drive.

Could a virus do this?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A virus destroyed all your documents.

Sorry.

I figured as much.

Glad I have backups.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
At this point make sure your backups are clean and nuke the drive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.

I figured as much.

Glad I have backups.

I don't think any of you really ever get a virus. I built a few computers and never seen one. The problem is you flood your hard drive or put stuff in folders that don't belong in that folder. Your computer sees it thinks there is something wrong and deletes it or something like it. This will happen a lot if you have a big hard drive. I have a 200 gb and every few months I format it and reinstall everything. If your computer is around 2 years old and you  never cleaned it out it is bound to fuck it's self up with out the help of a "virus".
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you restart?  

Sometimes when Explorer.exe has problems and restarts, you'll see the taskbar and all your icons disappear, then come back.  Doesn't usually cause media files to go bye-bye tho.  Restarting would be the first thing you want to try.

Then try exploring to >Documents and Settings>your user name> desktop and see if you see the files there.

Oh yeah.  Don't keep files on your desktop.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.

I figured as much.

Glad I have backups.

I don't think any of you really ever get a virus. I built a few computers and never seen one. The problem is you flood your hard drive or put stuff in folders that don't belong in that folder. Your computer sees it thinks there is something wrong and deletes it or something like it. This will happen a lot if you have a big hard drive. I have a 200 gb and every few months I format it and reinstall everything. If your computer is around 2 years old and you  never cleaned it out it is bound to fuck it's self up with out the help of a "virus".

You certainly are living up to your boardname

Oh yeah, on everything you said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a virus of some kind.   I found one once that would basically get rid of all .jpg, .gif, and .mp3 files.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't XP have something where you can restore everything as it was on a certain date? I've never seen it on mine, but I've been told it has that capability. [shrug]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Doesn't XP have something where you can restore everything as it was on a certain date? I've never seen it on mine, but I've been told it has that capability. [shrug]

Don't bet on it' It rarely works right, ie, at all. I have had numerous attempts to recover ended with the terse Microsoft message stating "your recovery was not successful", with no further messages.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe a dingo ate your baby.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
you can do an online virus scan at:

security.symantec.com

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.

I figured as much.

Glad I have backups.

hum... 'your computer sees it thinks there is something wrong and deletes it'???? which OS does this? sounds worse than a virus.... i'd ask for my money back if i was you...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I used the restore feature, but it did not restore the missing files.

Oh well I am in the process of restoring all the lost data.

Thanks for the info.

FullOf BadIdeas.....you are a complete
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
perhaps someone who knows more about NTFS can chime in, but I wonder if it was a bad spot on your hard drive, and the file system tried to "fix" it.

just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.

I figured as much.

Glad I have backups.

That has got to be one of the most retarded things I have ever read on this forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top