[#1]

Quoted:
I like these:

www.kenworth.com/images/2201_img1.jpg

to each is own I guess
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Kudos to you.

I thought I had done some silly stuff?!?

Guess not!

Travis, see ya!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, read some more post's Guns in Big trucks will get your ass thrown in Jail and you'll WILL recieve a felony. There IS NO,I REPEAT NO Firearms allowed in a Semi (comm Vechicle)

DOT ask,and looks for them. FMCA (green book) State's No Firearms. And before someone says "we'll then how do they get to the store's". That is CARGO.

I lost a driver, and almost lost a truck due to a driver that got cought in Pa with a 38spl.He got stopped in a DOT inspestion in 1999. He spent 34 days in jail,and they had my truck the hole time MAKING NO MONEY.

I had to change the plate's on my 1-ton pick up here in ohio. I had comm. tags on it. No CCW in comm.Vechicle. Had a OSP Warn me about that. YES, a Chevy 1-ton Pick up.....

Sure there are guys that keep guns in there truck's.But what happens if you go into NY,VA. where you must register all hand guns. And you get stopped with one. I can tell you. YOUR SCREWED!!!

I'ts not right, But its the LAW.

Note- I just look'd. As of 1-1-06 The fed. law still says that no states CCW law covers a Comm. unit.

Sorry Guys..
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok, read some more post's Guns in Big trucks will get your ass thrown in Jail and you'll WILL recieve a felony. There IS NO,I REPEAT NO Firearms allowed in a Semi (comm Vechicle)

DOT ask,and looks for them. FMCA (green book) State's No Firearms. And before someone says "we'll then how do they get to the store's". That is CARGO.

I lost a driver, and almost lost a truck due to a driver that got cought in Pa with a 38spl.He got stopped in a DOT inspestion in 1999. He spent 34 days in jail,and they had my truck the hole time MAKING NO MONEY.

I had to change the plate's on my 1-ton pick up here in ohio. I had comm. tags on it. No CCW in comm.Vechicle. Had a OSP Warn me about that. YES, a Chevy 1-ton Pick up.....

Sure there are guys that keep guns in there truck's.But what happens if you go into NY,VA. where you must register all hand guns. And you get stopped with one. I can tell you. YOUR SCREWED!!!

I'ts not right, But its the LAW.

Note- I just look'd. As of 1-1-06 The fed. law still says that no states CCW law covers a Comm. unit.

Sorry Guys..

Prove it ! Post a link, and make sure it is for a NON passenger comveh!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
DUDE been in the trucking ind for 15years as owner and op. Have my own auth. haul for us gov. im looking as we speak. Looked at your post links, NOTHING. If you find something PLEASE e-mail it to me. I'll buy you a steak and a case of you favorite beer.

Whats your E-mail i tried to send you a message?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
DUDE been in the trucking ind for 15years as owner and op. Have my own auth. haul for us gov. im looking as we speak. Looked at your post links, NOTHING. If you find something PLEASE e-mail it to me. I'll buy you a steak and a case of you favorite beer.

Whats your E-mail i tried to send you a message?

And you WONT find it either, it does not exist.
Your driver could have been CCW illegally (without a permit or not in reciprocity)
Did you know in NM you can Conceal without a permit LEGALLY but only while driving a vehicle?
that is for NC CCW holders.
Many states have different laws, it is best to keep Packing.orgs state info handy OR know what the laws are for the states you are traveling.
TX mess' with us platform pullers all the time, so  I always give my Permits, DL and CCW, never had a problem.
I have NEVER tried to CCW IN a chicken house either, but in the lot yes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude ,im looking and will find. Don't have the time at the moment, but will find and post by weeks end.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn! here is the search results from the FMCSA
If it aint here it DOES NOT EXIST!!!

Search Results For:
FMCSA Advanced Search    Search Tips

Searched for handguns .   Search took 0.04 seconds.

Your search - handguns - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing "handguns ".

Suggestions:

* Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
   * Try different keywords.
   * Try more general keywords.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dude ,im looking and will find. Don't have the time at the moment, but will find and post by weeks end.

Tag for update
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Great thread guys.  Very interesting stuff.  And thank you to all the truckers for doing what you do best.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
While I've never done OTR trucking, I'm willing to bet that it's mostly the O/O's business and financial skill that makes the difference between success and failure. I've worked enough jobs where people making the same amount of money as me seemed to be constantly broke and always desperate for the next paycheck, while I was doing just fine, never had any problem getting the things I needed, including taking care of sudden vehicle failure, and could take time off without pay whenever I felt like it.

I don't know the details of these people's finances (they probably don't either), but they seem to spend every spare penny they get on "fun" stuff, from video games to new luxury vehicles, depending on the job. FWIW, every one of these people I've ever met who couldn't manage money properly have been flaming Liberals.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah,it's there,somewhere,I saw it in plain B & W. However,better to be judged by 6......  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most O/O are setup with brokers. Brokers will take a percentage of what a run will pay as commission for finding a run for a O/O. If a O/O has a good broker then they can make good money. However, I have never run over-the-road, this is just what O/O have told me. ......

Wrong! MOST are leased (contracted) to ONE carrier.
Long gone are the days of  "running Cowboy" (own authority). Too high Ins, brokers NOT paying in conracted time frame, and the likes.
I was down to the mailing out the app for my own DOT/ ICC numbers and backed out and opted for  Landstar instead.

I once drove for a "Cowboy Outfit" owned by an IN State Trooper,no less. Brokered freight? That's all we did(other than Childcraft kiddie beds)with dry boxes. CH Robinson,American Backhaulers,and all the trucking companies that didn't want to haul the long-heavy lds.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple friends that drive log trucks home every day but they do work quite a few hours. Both get paid percent of load and it works out to about $12 per hour on a good day. other days you can spend 3-4 hours waiting to get loaded at the landing or have to chain up on every load.
Best way to sum it up is Its a lifestyle not a job. even If your home every night. there are way easyer ways to make the amount of money that most company drivers make. And all the O/Os have done their time making crap wages.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah,it's there,somewhere,I saw it in plain B & W. However,better to be judged by 6......  

OK people last time!

There is no law against personal firearms in an 18 wheeler!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK people last time!

There is no law against personal firearms in an 18 wheeler!

Apparently, this topic comes up ALL the time over at ClassADrivers.com. It's kind of their version of our Glock kaboom threads. Search their forum for "guns". Oddly, their threads seem to head in the same direction as ours:

"Can I carry a gun in the truck? I'm an O/O and I have a 3 CCW permits, good in 32 states"
"Hell no! You'll lose your job and it's probably against company policy"
"I use a wrist rocket. There's no sense taking any chances"
"All you need is a paintball gun and a tire iron."
"The Second Amendment protect the right of..."
"You guys are fucking Communists. Hitler liked gun control, you know..."
"Have any of you ever used a gun to defend yourselves? I didn't think so. Buncha internet tough guys"
"Hey, I hope I never do have to use it. You're an asshole, for suggesting that I bend over like a good little subject"
"No, you're an asshole"
"Fuck you"
"No, fuck YOU!"

And so on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Last year I made about 64k driving long-haul as an employee for a large outfit.

You are doing better than plenty of PhDs I know!

Weird question but is it possible to take a "vacation" riding shotgun in an 18-wheeler travelling cross-country?  Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, lady's and Gentlemen, Here is what i found in my research on the Issue of Firearms in CMV (Comm.Motor Vehicle). Some where in about year 2000 FMCSA dropped there firearm area in the "Green book". They turned it over to each state, for them to over see there own firearms laws. So, what this means is that each state has the right to say Yes, or No to firearms in CMV. And as alot of us now that each state has there own rule's for carring a firearm. Some do,some don't. Also some don't have any CCW law and may never get one either. Best web site i found for that info. is, Packing.org. They have alot of great info. on there site. So what i came to find out is that if your going state to state your going to have to play by all each state's rule's. And you must have a proper permit in that state if it calls for one.With that said,That brings up the next item. What do you do when you get to a place that doesn't allow firearms on the property? Even if your total legal in that state,Now what do you do with your firearm??I have not looked at all fifty states. In Ohio your in violation of the CCW law and then your looking at a felony. Another scenario, say you get dispatched to NY or another state that doesn't allow firearms to be carried in CMV???

I now that If one of my drivers said "Ahhh, i can't go to that location,Because i have my hand gun in YOUR truck"

Know I'm a big gun nut! But I'm Sorry,That truck is mine,and your the driver, and it goes where i send it. And if you want, just bring down a check. And i will be happy to put your name on the title. And that's just the way it is.

After doing some more research on this matter.I also found out that 97% of all big company's, Don't allow there company driver to carry any type of deadly weapon. And it about the same numbers of company's that have the same policy toward owner/op's. And it in there lease, and you can be fired for it.

Know just for those that don't now. Big company's can report to a company that is call D.A.K. This is a company that hold's info on drivers. And not good info either. Such as things like, Past employment info.,Failure to take dispatch,Failure to take drug or alcohol test. Equipment abuse, And so on, and so on. Almost all company's do a back round check on all new drivers threw D.A.K.

And D.A.K is used in all most all new hire Owner/Op's.

D.A.K. is not you M.V.R.(driving record).

Yes, there are answers to all these questions. And legal ways to carry in some locations. But its not legal to just run all over the country side packing a pistol in your Big Truck.

And to my friend in NC. Ok,I'll admit to being 50% wrong. And my driver in 1999 was 100% wrong. And he will pay for that mistake for the rest of his life. After all the info.i got from this its been a good eye opener. Thanks, What cut of steak and what kind of beer do i need to send south?? LOL
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#20]
And sub note to the above post. Yes, owning your own truck can make you a good living. But its all about managing your money. In this business there many things thats can make you and more that can brake you.

It's not for everybody but it seems once you get in your hooked. And sometimes that's not good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]
F@CK D.A.C.!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Back on page 1:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about carrying arms?  Long guns or handguns.

Some areas of the country are obviously worse then others, so is it your own risk with the law and/or company, or is the sleeper considered "home" in this context?

you would have to comply with local laws. You also would have to be an independent, as no company would ever allow this.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top