BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Fucking Savages!!!!

I declare Jihad on these giant centipedes!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]
That is NASTY.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hawaii has some that big.  There is nothing worse than laying in the cot late at night, all tucked in with the mosquito netting nice and snug around you, and one of these damn things crawls across your face.  

Those suckers are hard to kill too.

+1

They are big in Hawaii.  One day my missus started screaming like a banshee 'cause one had decided to share the shower with one of the kids!    Thankfully she saw it after it came up the drainpipe before it could bite the boy.  I started whacking it up with something...can't remember what...probably my knife...but it wouldn't die!  

One got the dog in the lip one day...he swelled up like he had a golf ball in his mouth.

Then I stepped on one and the pain put me on the ground in an instant.  Hurt like hell!

I fargin hate those thing...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hawaii has some that big.  There is nothing worse than laying in the cot late at night, all tucked in with the mosquito netting nice and snug around you, and one of these damn things crawls across your face.  

Those suckers are hard to kill too.

Ahh... Skumfield Barracks also I see. The largest one I saw was about a foot long prior to becoming bug mush.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This can't be right, if so, how small is that mouse?!?!?!  Not that scary if so...

Temperment: "They're generally agressive and prone to escape."

Gee, I'll take twenty.

I'll take 2 please.

That mouse was no match for that thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]
This one was found in a North London flat...

(PS---They are not native to England)

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Poor friggin Mice. They are truely the red shirt star trek crewmen of the animal world.

Also done Schofield Barracks time. I didn't spend any time in the field. The biggest I seen was about 6-7 inches and creepy as hell!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
That thing is evil.

I'm thinking three rounds of 12ga #8 birshot followed by kerosene and fire.

Goddamn that thing is freaky looking...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I've lived among the big spiders, rattle snakes, scorpions, centipedes, etc.  I still hate them all.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#11]
makes me think of  Starship Troopers..........."the only good bug is a dead bug"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This can't be right, if so, how small is that mouse?!?!?!  Not that scary if so...

YOu don't understand...it's, "HOW BIG IS THAT FRIGGIN CENTIPEDE?!?!?!?"

Near the resevoirs in AZ I have seen them well over a foot in length.

Don't make me second guess my decision to move to AZ..
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#13]
we have them in the 6-9 inch range all over here (central texas).

I kept one as a classroom pet, but had to let it go when it wouldn't eat the grasshoppers I threw in with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was a kid at Scholfield Barracks I was chased around the bathroom by one until I was able to coat it in pledge yes pledge it killed the ofending bug...I had no shoes on at the time to this day I very rarely go without shoes....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They are big in Hawaii.  One day my missus started screaming like a banshee 'cause one had decided to share the shower with one of the kids!    Thankfully she saw it after it came up the drainpipe before it could bite the boy.  I started whacking it up with something...can't remember what...probably my knife...but it wouldn't die!  

One got the dog in the lip one day...he swelled up like he had a golf ball in his mouth.

Then I stepped on one and the pain put me on the ground in an instant.  Hurt like hell!

I fargin hate those thing...

I can see why you liked Surface Warfare so much! All the adventures!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

When I was stationed at DMAFB we would catch them on the flight line at night. They would be attracted to the warm tarmac and our lightcarts...

Google----------- Giant Desert Centipede
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#17]
i think that thing just made my hangover worse.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

home.sc.rr.com/legonas/KILLFIRE.jpg

Thank you.  I needed that photo for comfort.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Giant redheaded centipede

ETA: I love when pet stores starve the animals so bad and make a video of said animal attacking and killing an animal they usually don't eat, just to sit back and watch the fun.

The centipede is sticking it's posion claws into the mouse. They would normally eat other insects.

I wonder do you see other animals doing this for fun? Or just humans?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just not right.

Insects are a lower class of beast; they have no right feasting off the flesh of their betters. Such impudence outrages me.

+1

Truth be told, should SHTF and Earth is left as a radioactive ball of slag, it will be ants, cockroaches, some bacteria, and a few molds that will survive.

"Better" and "higher" depend on a metric to define the criteria by which you judge. If you consider brain size, than a mouse is indeed better than an insect. But for sheer hardiness, survivability, reproductivity, and numbers, insects beat out mammals by a long shot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Vermin. I expect nothing better of them.

Mammals rule!

Down with the lower class brutes!

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just not right.

Insects are a lower class of beast; they have no right feasting off the flesh of their betters. Such impudence outrages me.

+1

Truth be told, should SHTF and Earth is left as a radioactive ball of slag, it will be ants, cockroaches, some bacteria, and a few molds that will survive.

"Better" and "higher" depend on a metric to define the criteria by which you judge. If you consider brain size, than a mouse is indeed better than an insect. But for sheer hardiness, survivability, reproductivity, and numbers, insects beat out mammals by a long shot.

Yep.  Arthropods have millions more years of evolution than mammals.

I have heard of people trying to stomp those centipedes and they just keep on coming.  Fire sounds like a good recourse to me, though I have never seen a centipede in real life.  Anyone know if they could be found in San Antonio, TX?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just not right.

+1

Yep.  Arthropods have millions more years of evolution than mammals.

I have heard of people trying to stomp those centipedes and they just keep on coming.  Fire sounds like a good recourse to me, though I have never seen a centipede in real life.  Anyone know if they could be found in San Antonio, TX?

Hell Yes in San Antone.  Out in the rockier parts of the Hill Country, they are NUMEROUS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh, God. *hides under covers*
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Another reason to be thrilled to have moved out of Laredo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Giant redheaded centipede

ETA: I love when pet stores starve the animals so bad and make a video of said animal attacking and killing an animal they usually don't eat, just to sit back and watch the fun.

The centipede is sticking it's posion claws into the mouse. They would normally eat other insects.

I wonder do you see other animals doing this for fun? Or just humans?

Do you have any experience with these critters?

Personally I wouldn't have one.

So you are saying that they normally eat other insects and attack small mammals when starved?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just not right.

+1

Then why are mice found throughout the world in all climates and these monster centipeds are not?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#29]
We have them around here. If I ever see one I will get the fuck out of  it's way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Dr. Fridge would love this thread!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I would carry a machete 24/7 if I lived in the same place as those monsters.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Never seen a giant centipede in my 21 years of living in Texas. Plenty of giant millipedes though, which basically look like a cross between a pillbug and a freight train. Harmless and kinda cool to watch.

Giant centipedes are one of the many disgusting species on my death list, along with those giant cockroaches (of all species), giant isopods, and liberals.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#33]
My god I love the NW.

Now all I'm going to be thinking about when I go to Hawaii next year is those damn things.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOu don't understand...it's, "HOW BIG IS THAT FRIGGIN CENTIPEDE?!?!?!?"

Near the resevoirs in AZ I have seen them well over a foot in length.

I have never seen the big ones in the low deserts...only in the mountains near the large resevoirs like Roosevelt Damn ( Canyon, Apache and Saguaro Lake ) and I am sure the can be found near Lake Pleasant and maybe even on the Nevada/AZ border at Hoover.  Now there are fairly decent sized centipedes in the low desert but not the monsters......

HOWEVER, as NoName has stated they can be found out by Davis Monthan AFB apparently
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I would carry a machete 24/7 if I lived in the same place as those monsters.

Good thinking.  That's exactly how I dealt with them (other than leaving them alone sometimes).  Works like a charm, unlike trying to stomp them.  Of all the bugs, snakes, spiders, roaches, etc. centipedes creeped me out the most and still do.  They leave you with that icky, creepy crawly feeling for hours after encountering them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I got bitten by something similar in Greece when I were a lad, bugger was black-bodied, white legs, and about 6" long. I wasn't a happy camper. Got paranoid about checking my bed after that. Two nights later, I found a family of the blighters under my pillow.

I didn't have a comfortable night's sleep all month.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just not right.

+1

Then why are mice found throughout the world in all climates and these monster centipeds are not?

Maybe not monster centipedes but than you're comparing apples and oranges. Your mice for my ants. Two masters of proliferation, I say that in sheers numbers and total biomass, ants have mice beat in the long run across climates and extreme environmental stress.

It is estimated that 20% of the total animal biomass of Earth is ants and termites alone. How many ants does it take to equal the 30kg weight of a male and female dog? Which will proliferate faster (rate), farther (climates), and longer (diversity and sustainability)?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Good god that creeps me out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just not right.

+1

Maybe not monster centipedes but than you're comparing apples and oranges. Your mice for my ants. Two masters of proliferation, I say that in sheers numbers and total biomass, ants have mice beat in the long run across climates and extreme environmental stress.

It is estimated that 20% of the total animal biomass of Earth is ants and termites alone. How many ants does it take to equal the 30kg weight of a male and female dog? Which will proliferate faster (rate), farther (climates), and longer (diversity and sustainability)?

An ant is not a 10" centipede.   Mice are more adaptable then these centipedes.  A mouse is no more an ant then a 10" centipede is an ant.  Small simple animals would survive.  If the environment gets cold, these insects are gonna be out of luck...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#40]
As IF I didn't hate those damn things before!

A couple of months ago, I was in bed one night dialing a phone (the phone providing the only illumination in the room). Suddently I see in the darkness a 3 inch long centipede run across my pillow directly towards me! I freaked out so much I didn't even get to kill it.

Needless to say I was terrified to sleep there ever after and moved out of that house within a few months (the centipede wasn't the only motivation for moving, but it definately helped)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#41]
lookee here...

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#42]
That's almost as cool as the praying mantis killing an eating the hummingbird.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top