Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 5:21:19 PM EDT
A friend of mine from work, who is 62 years old, got me interested in fast draw competition shooting.  He has been doing it for almost 40 years now and is quite fast!  He can do a bunch of interesting tricks with multiple shots that sound like one shot also.

Anyway, I went to his house tonight to try it out.  We are shooting at a metal human B-27 type target with a light in the center covered by thick plexiglass. When the light turns on you draw and shoot. The light is controlled by a computer and turns on at random time intervals. The bullet impact stops the clock. We shoot wax bullets from standard brass cases that have been modified to accept 209 shotgun primers.  No powder.

I was using his highly modified Ruger Blackhawk.  It is an old model, 3 screw, flat top. It strated life as a .357 but is now a .45 Long Colt. The action has been slicked up like glass, it has no front sight, and has an aluminum barrel with a 1/8" or so steel liner which is rifled.  The hammer has had a large spur welded on also. The rear sight was removed and the topstrap milled down to resemble a Colt Peacemaker The gun has been nickle plated and engraved too.  He said he has about $1800 in it, and $350 in the fast draw holster and belt.

We take a stance about 8 feet from the target, and have both hands positioned ready to draw, but not touching the weapon.

My best time was 36 hundreths of a second!!

He said I was a natural to be able to shoot consistantly in the 30s and 40s.  My best reaction time between seeing the light come on and pulling the trigger was 14 hundreths of a second.  This was measured by me standing right in front of the target with a cocked, empty gun touching the metal and pulling the trigger when I saw the light go on

This is the first time I have ever tried any type of shooting competition.  I have been gunsmithing for about 15 years now (it's my job), a handloader for about 12, and a collector for about 20.  Most all of my shooting thus far in life has been at a range punching paper, or at various machinegun shoots blowing shit up.

This is fun!

I found a new, expensive hobby/obsession.

Balming
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, none yet but there will be some in the future.

By the way, how come you have 170 more posts than me in your 1 month here, and I have been here 8 years?!?!?

I guess I don't post often enough!

Balming
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
dont shot yourself in the balls!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Most ranges don't allow it, and a guy died accidently shooting himself recently at the gun range in the Ocala National Forest practicing it...
I used to shoot there too...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
mjrowley,

It's funny you should post that!  I let a shot go in the holster (not too uncommon), but it had a built in metal deflector so that the shot skipped off of the floor in a safe direction.

Balming
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's funny you should post that!  I let a shot go in the holster (not too uncommon), but it had a built in metal deflector so that the shot skipped off of the floor in a safe direction.

Balming

you said it shoots wax bullets with shotgun primers.  how much injury could that cause?  i'm thinking the  kinda sting you get from a paintball, or maybe i'm wrong
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Most ranges don't allow it, and a guy died accidently shooting himself recently at the gun range in the Ocala National Forest practicing it...

Was he shooting wax bullets or live rounds?  The wax bullets weigh 10-25 grains, and I think it would be kind of hard to kill yourself by skipping one off your thigh.

They are still dangerous though, and we treat them as if they were full power lead projos.

Balming
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Ever seen Bob Mundon? Now that guy is fast!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A friend of mine from work, who is 62 years old interesting

He said I was

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was he shooting wax bullets or live rounds?  The wax bullets weigh 10-25 grains, and I think it would be kind of hard to kill yourself by skipping one off your thigh.

They are still dangerous though, and we treat them as if they were full power lead projos.

Balming

My Dad lives in Ocala, visit several times a year, and he mentioned it was in the paper last time I visited.  It is a nice little range, but I felt uneasy around some of the others there the last time went, and haven't gone back since.  It is a free range, and some dildos with zero gun safety IQ points do show up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A friend of mine from work, who is 62 years old interesting

He said I was

WTF?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Theres a guy called bob munden or something like that who does that.. He is extremely fast, theres a video with him in it, saw it years ago though. He can draw, and shoot two targets and you only hear one shot. I thought it was fake untill I saw the slomos of it. He's supposed to be one of the best at that.

The guy is very very accurate shooting from any position.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Balming

you said it shoots wax bullets with shotgun primers.  how much injury could that cause?  i'm thinking the  kinda sting you get from a paintball, or maybe i'm wrong

I hate getting shot with anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top