Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:53:05 PM EDT
I work for a large retailer, I'm sure you have heard of it before but I will not disclose the name to protect myself.

I will try to make this short but it will probably be difficult to do so.

I have worked for this company for nearly 6 years. I started working as a 90 day associate out in Lawn and Garden and then moved to other areas of the store. When I was a Junior in College I was asked to be in the "First in Line" Management trainee program.

This program was not like I excepted it to be, I pretty much was a "Glorified salefloor associate" stocking freight all of the time. When I would try to learn managerial duties most of the time they were denied.

After I completed my Business Administration degree I was promoted to a Support manager. My fiancee then was offered a job in Arizona so I decided to move with her.  The company offered to pay for my move even though I never asked them to. All in all they gave me around a few thousand dollars for moving expenses and paid time off for the move.

Anyways, I go into the Management trainee program which is supposed to be a program that last 12 weeks. This is an accellerated program for people with management experience and internal associates.

So along comes week 9 and they tell me I will be put into a store 40 miles from my home as an assistant manager. That is where I am NOW. I did not receive all of the training that I should have gotten. In fact the MTP book that we are supposed to be filling out doesnt have one word of ink in it.

Also, besides the fact that I travel over an hour each way to go to work I will be working some seriously rediculous hours in my opinion for someone who has a college degree.

Here is an example of my schedule:
Monday=2-10
Tuesday=off
Wed.-7am-10pm
-thurs=10am-10pm
fri-off
Sat=8am=5pm
Sun=7am-5pm
so somewhere around 50 -55 hours a week(that is an easy week)

I have decided that I no longer want to work for this company. My store manager is very unhappy all of the time and makes my job extremely difficult especially when she doesnt want to hear complaints from associates.

I have been looking around and have found a few jobs that offer more reasonable shifts such as 9am-5pm or 8am-5pm which require College degrees. Also, these jobs are 40 hrs a week and pay much better.

In addition to paying better these other companies also offer tuition reimbursement so I can work on my Graduate level degree in the future.

I am very upset with this company and need to know If when I receive an offer from another company I should just quite this one or give them a 2 week notice.

Either way I am planning on going in when I do quit Face to Face and handing them a little of Resignation from my position.

This is a serious matter, please take it as such. I have had a lot of stress on my mind deciding on what would be the best thing to do in my situation.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Always give a two week notice.  

Your current employer may just say to leave immediately, but it shows FUTURE prospective employers that you didn't just bail on your old job, and that you won't likely just bail on them either.  

It's a courtesy that really just is for you--some employers might need the two weeks to find a replacement or for you to train your replacement, but a large retail store likely won't need to do either.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You should probably give a notice.  2 week is normal for professionals, but at least a week.  You dont want to burn bridges when leaving a company.  It is a small world and you likely could run into the same people you work with somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I would give the 2 weeks regardless of anything happening, only because of you being in a management capacity. If you were a peon.. then no. But you are a high roller, so go out with class as such.

It's what separates us salaried from the hourly staff at times...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Two week's notice.  Don't burn bridges with out really good cause.  You never know what will happen in the future.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never worked a 40 hour week in my life, and I have a college degree.  50 hours is the norm, and an hour commute happens more often than you may realize.  

But do what you feel is best for you.  Best advice I can give is to never burn bridges whenever possible.

Give a 2 weeks notice and leave on good terms.  Best case they'll say thanks and give you good references or buy out your 2 weeks and respectfully let you walk on the spot.  Worst case they'll say thanks and give you good references or buy out your 2 weeks and respectfully let you walk out on the spot.

Up and quitting is a sore way to drop an employer, despite all your immediate distaste with the situation.

Give Home Depot a 2 weeks notice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Leave a 2 week notice.

a) it is the right thing to do.

2)your new employer will understand, he would like for you to extend him the same, when the time comes.

c)you may need this employer as a reference some day.

d) I know how it is, but these guys have paid you for a few years, you have been able to eat, pay rent, maybe have enough left over to buy a rifle, or maybe some ammo, life ain't all bad. Appreciate what you got, even if it was not enough.

5)Find something better, move on and don't look back.

Advice from JJ........since you asked.

jj
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I too agree with Hokie.  If you are going to leave your old company, give them 2 weeks notice, unless things are really, really super bad.  And don't bad mouth them in the meantime.  You run in to old co-workers at the weirdest moments.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Two week's notice.  Don't burn bridges with out really good cause.  You never know what will happen in the future.

That's the right answer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Give two weeks notice.

Doing the right thing is.......the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Would they give you 2 week notice if they wanted to get rid of you. I think not. I have never given 2 week notice
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#12]
tell walmart good bye..
but give them 2 weeks..

i was so glad to get the hell out when i got thru with college..
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
No job is worth your hapiness. You're not happy there, and you're not making alot of money to boot. Find another job, and give them your notice. Given that my circumstances as a man without a high school diploma sound better, I'd say you're in a pretty good position to find something nicer.

Life is too short doing a job you hate. If you see better opportunities, less hours and more money, you're a fool not to take them. Nobody should continue to be undervalued in the name of loyalty. They are not just an employer - think of yourself as a customer. They aren't doing you any favors by paying you. You hold title to your time and talent, while your employer holds title to a specific amount of money. It's a fair and equitable transaction as long as both of you continue to agree on the terms. Your time and services as an employee are worth exactly as much as you accept for them, no more.

Why not accept a little more?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
a gentleman gives notice.  even if you feel screwed, you should take the high road and give notice.  you never know when you might need a reference.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#15]
2 weeks notice and if they really like they will offer you a raise to stay.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Suck it up and give the 2 week's my wife is going through the same thing she "LOVE HER JOB" but they really don't pay shit 12.90 hr. She has the chance to double this somewhere else. I told her loving your employer doesn't pay the bills you have to go where the money is. People work to survive, if you can survive better somewhere else MAKE THE MOVE NOW. If you don't you'll regrett it down the road. I see by your schedule your working weekends. When you get married and have kids do you really want to be at Home Depot or whatever on sat and sunday???? NOT!!!! When I got out of the Military I VOWED never again to work at a job I didn't like........and to this day I haven't. Make the move
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
2 weeks notice and if they really like they will offer you a raise to stay.

If it was about the money I would just flat out tell them I want more money. Not to sound like a "Jerk" I know I am worth it.

Also, they seem to be trying to talk me out of going back to school for the most part. Some of the remarks they have made. "College is a Waste of time", "Why would you want to go back to school?"  "With the hours you are working you cant go back to school"

Those have been some of the comments made.

Also, this job is literally tearing my relationship apart from my Fiancee. I never see her anymore and when I do she is either too tired or I am too tired to do anything.

I know giving a two-week notice would be the "right thing to do" but I have seen how people act when they know you are quiting.

Legally, it is not required of me to give a two-week notice as I never signed a contract and it is "Employment at Will" correct?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Find a job. Then, give two weeks notice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I will be giving my two week notice on sunday.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Have your offer letter signed and accepted at your new job, then give a two week notice.

I'm surprised your university didn't teach you business etiquette as a part of your Bus. Admin degree.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
No notice!  The would give you any if they decided to let you go!  Fuck 'em!

BTW is this Lowes?

I am a previous employee.

Travis
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1 good advice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you think they would give YOU 2 weeks notice?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I worked for a major retailer one Christmas and found out that they didn't want the right hand knowing what the left hand was doing, didn't trust any of the associates or management, didn't appreciate suggestions though they actively sought out criticism.  Though they offered me a management type position such as you have you couldn't pay me enough money to work for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1

As long as you know someone there personally who would give you a good reference, I say FUCK 'EM!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#27]
2 weeks and say
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

They would do even better, they would give him 2 weeks (or more) of severence pay and not even ask him to work for that pay.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm surprised your university didn't teach you business etiquette as a part of your Bus. Admin degree.

That's just too funnay....  No such thing as business etiquette, or ethics for that matter, these days.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Give notice and be professional.  It serves no purpose to attempt to "Stick it to 'em".  Being able to use this company for a reference will surely help you down the road.  Look at it as paying your dues and don't hold grudges, life's to short.  Best of Luck in your new career!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#31]
id get a job before i gave notice

and id give the two weeks notice--your NEW employer will respect that and you more for it
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I've never given two weeks notice in my life. A couple of companies got about 4 minutes notice or even none at all. If I'm not being offered courtesy or respect I don't offer any in return. One company I worked for changed management. The new management informed me that as of today I'd not be getting salary plus commission any longer, and that it was straight commission from here on out.

My exact words to the new boss:

Since my job isn't worth what you were paying me, why don't you go do it for me? I'm going home. Enjoy your shift!

If you feel your job has treated you well and it's just time to move on then notice is appropriate. If they're shitting on you, shit back... and screw the notice. IMO future employers will understand, mine always have.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
tell walmart good bye..
but give them 2 weeks..

i was so glad to get the hell out when i got thru with college..

and we know it's WalMart because of the number of times you said "associate".....I would give them the 2 weeks though, that way, it won't reflect badly on your work history. Good Luck with whatever new job you find!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Find a job. Then, give two weeks notice.

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They would do even better, they would give him 2 weeks (or more) of severence pay and not even ask him to work for that pay.

That's far from guaranteed. Of every working person I've EVER known I've seen that happen precisely twice. Once it was because the business closed. My girlfriend at that time went to work and the doors were chained.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Would the business give you two weeks notice that they were going to sack you ??
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
id get a job before i gave notice

and id give the two weeks notice--your NEW employer will respect that and you more for it

+1 That says it all right there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Do it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Wal-Mart sucks balls.  When I was 16 I got fired from there, they didn't give me any fucking notice.  I didn't even do anything, long story, but either way...fuck em.  I'd just walk out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Give 2 weeks.

Always do the right thing.

It will astonissh some and ingratiate the rest. (Mark Twain)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Couple of things (offered in the best possible light and not in an attempt to be a dick):

You work retail for christsakes, not nuclear bionics. It is a dead-end job. You shouldn't stress it at all.

An hour commute is not all that odd for the majority of people who live in a semi-urban setting.

50-55 hours a week is not "seriously rediculous hours."

You don't seem like a "go getter" by any stretch of the imagination. I offer the following statements as examples:

I did not receive all of the training that I should have gotten. In fact the MTP book that we are supposed to be filling out doesnt have one word of ink in it.

I have been looking around and have found a few jobs that offer more reasonable shifts such as 9am-5pm or 8am-5pm which require College degrees. Also, these jobs are 40 hrs a week and pay much better.

Give two weeks if you want, but it is not going to matter. If you don't change your attitude and realign your goals, you'll be working hourly retail jobs until you die.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't burn bridges.  You never know when a job like that may come in handy again.  Let them know that it was the lack of advancement and experience that makes you want to seek out additional challenges and experience.  If not for that, that you loved your employment with them and you'll miss your "family" at work.

Bullshit always helps when you have to slither back in and beg for your job back because of some unforeseen circumstance....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Give your two weeks notice.  You'll need the good references.

Definitely jump to one of those other companies though, for the better pay and the tuition reimbursement.

6 years of experience at the Evil Empire + Business Degree with good grades = excellent MBA programs blow a collective load in their pants at the thought of you + tuition reimbursement => straight shot to the sweet life.

If my logic is correct.

The Evil Empire is well-known for working junior business types to death.  Most of them jump ship and leave.

And the BS above in the notice letter is a good idea too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#46]
As a retire, let me just say that life is hard, then it gets way harder.  It is what you make of it, and how you choose to deal with various aspects of paying tuition at the college of hard knocks.  If you have some class you will give notice and build your own self respect.  Means little to anyone but yourself.  But you are the most important person you will always have to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I worked for Wal-Mart about 6 years ago. When I gave them my 2 weeks notice they decided then to give me an evaluation then put me on the fab table at that time. I was working sporting goods. They told me the rest of my time there I would be working the fab table. I went to lunch and never went back. I would however recomend a 2 week notice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Have your offer letter signed and accepted at your new job, then give a two week notice.

Do what you feel is best for you, not what the company you work for thinks is best for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Good advice....if you are a sucker!   F'em and let the bridges you burn light your way to a better future.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#50]
You've been there for 6 years. What is another two weeks. Especially when you know what is at the end. It might just be the only happy two weeks of your employment with them.

And for those that suggest the company would not give notice, most companies do give at least a month's notice when they intend to lay off employees as a cut back of their work force. If you screw up and get fired, that is on you. Who expects a two week notice of being fired?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top