Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
So you work for Lowe's , right?  They call everyone a "Manager" so that they can avoid having to pay OT.  In fact, there's a class action suit going on right now about that.

Give two weeks, you don't want to burn bridges.  At the same time don't lose a minutes sleep thinking they owe you anything.  They wouldn't.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Give two weeks I ended up getting a clearance and they found that HD had listed me as job abandonment, which I then had to explain. Never know what some people will put in your record out of spite.  

Give two weeks and start calling in your sick time and burn up some vacation days....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You dont get 2 weeks notice when you get fired...your firing your job.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm surprised your university didn't teach you business etiquette as a part of your Bus. Admin degree.

That's just too funnay....  No such thing as business etiquette, or ethics for that matter, these days.

Brian

Only true if you, or the people you are dealing with, CHOOSE to be assholes.

I choose to conduct myself with integrity and the understanding that assholes usually come and go, but large companies stay around for awhile.

I'd rather not have a lasting notation that I am un-hireable in the HR database.

You may do as you wish.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
When I quit, working out my notice was the most fun I had in years.  Everyone asking what I was going to be doing, etc.  If I spent too long at the coffee pot what were they going to do, fire me?

55 hours is not unheard of for management.  I think this girl friend/fiancee is using too many of your clock cycles.  Give the two weeks notice.  If you or her can't handle that, how are you going to handle a major crisis?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've done everything from 2 week notices to "notice my ass going out the door".

The last time I gave the manager my notice and he said if you have a problem lets make it right now. Fine, you just showed me I'm making the right choice.  

Retail management sucks dick.  You need to read 'The Wal-Mart Effect'.  Fucking the employees is how they hold costs down. Paying for 40 hrs of work but expecting the managers to work 50 + is one way they do it.  It's legal for salaried types.  

rj
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn’t feel any moral obligation to give two weeks notice at all. It would be a nice thing to do though. If someone offered you a dream job and it required you to quit immediately then you should do so in a heartbeat. But if they want you to start in two weeks (many companies do this to allow you to give two weeks notice at your old company) then I would stick it out… It’ll be the hardest two weeks of your life though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Some (if not most) big companies, and even smaller ones, will not give you a reference. They can acknowledge that you worked there but will not give a recommendation nor negative review.

The two-week notice is for when you are an essential asset to the company. If you are at some retail place then you are not essential to the company. Walk when you have a new job. Tell the new place that the old place said it was ok.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You've been there for 6 years. What is another two weeks. Especially when you know what is at the end. It might just be the only happy two weeks of your employment with them.

And for those that suggest the company would not give notice, most companies do give at least a month's notice when they intend to lay off employees as a cut back of their work force. If you screw up and get fired, that is on you. Who expects a two week notice of being fired?

Maybe it works that way in your world, but I've NEVER gotten prior notice of being fired/laid off. Walk in, told to head home, you're laid off indefinitely. Or they wait til the day after Christmas to call me up and say don't come in, we let the entire second shift go.

Maybe in management it's customary to give 2 weeks notice, but we peons down in the trenches would be fools to do so. Give notice, you get told to get your shit and go right now. Happened to me the first couple times I gave notice. Screwed myself out of 2 weeks pay, I did.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe in management it's customary to give 2 weeks notice, but we peons down in the trenches would be fools to do so. Give notice, you get told to get your shit and go right now. Happened to me the first couple times I gave notice. Screwed myself out of 2 weeks pay, I did.

Unfortunately this seems to happen alot and is what I think is the reason many people don't give notices. I think the company is afraid you'd sabotage something or gather info for a competitor. Still, it's a poor ethic on the part of the employer.

I've always given 2 week notices. Once, I worked a few days of it and the employer allowed me to leave with the remainder of the time paid. Was a retail job in fact. YMMV,
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Always give a two week notice.  

Your current employer may just say to leave immediately, but it shows FUTURE prospective employers that you didn't just bail on your old job, and that you won't likely just bail on them either.  

It's a courtesy that really just is for you--some employers might need the two weeks to find a replacement or for you to train your replacement, but a large retail store likely won't need to do either.  

excellent advice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I am wondering if the guys teling them to f off have ever held a good position? I could understand it if it was flipping burgers but this is quite a bit ahead of that.

BTW even flipping burgers , one shoudl take the   high road and give 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
take all of your vacation/PTO days.  Take all sick days.  Make sure that the last sick day is pay day.  Then give 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tell walmart good bye..
but give them 2 weeks..

i was so glad to get the hell out when i got thru with college..

and we know it's WalMart because of the number of times you said "associate".....I would give them the 2 weeks though, that way, it won't reflect badly on your work history. Good Luck with whatever new job you find!

Your way off, its Target.  I knew people that worked there, and thats Target if I ever heard of it.  So give TARGET two weeks.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top