Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 9:03:27 AM EDT
Ok....this has been something of a mystery to me for a while now. Nothing I lose sleep over, but still an anomaly.

Ever notice that many, if not most cars have their license plates framed with some cheesy, crappy license plate frame from from the dealership the car was bought from?

"Joe Blow Ford, Saginaw Michigan"

"1# Acura Dealership In New England - City Acura"

Whatever...you get the point.

When you buy a home, do you leave a real estate sign in the yard that says "This home was sold through Century 21"....and leave it there indefinately?

How about clothing? Ever slap a sticker on your jeans that say "Levi's bought at Detroit Levi Strauss"?

Why would ANYONE spend as much as what a car costs and leave some shitty, crappy looking advertisement attached to the back of it?

Unless you drive a TOTAL piece of shit, or you're employed by said dealership, there is no GOOD reason what so ever to leave that shit on a car.  It's always mildly amazed me how many people leave that free, shitty looking advertising on the back of a perfectly nice set of wheels.

A screw driver and 3 minutes would remove the eyesore, but so many just leave it there.

Unless you have a good reason for leaving it there, you're a lazy fuck-nut, who paid thousands of dollars to advertise some jackasses dealership.

That's right, I'm talkin' to you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I tell them unless they want to pay me rent to get it off the car.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
i take that stupid shit off right away.  last car i bought has a frame AND a stick on dealer emblem on the back of the car.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people don't realize it, but they are illegal also. They cover part of the plate and a cop can ticker you for that. I hate them also. I get pissed when they put thier sticker on it also.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Last two cars we bought, I removed that frame before I even left the lot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine came right off when I got home, but I honestly can't understand why the sight of it would bother anyone. It's just a license plate cover.

Besides, you missed a BIG one that I've noticed out here since moving from California: Dealerships actually put emblems ON THE CAR BODY ITSELF. Holy dog shit, batman! It's so common around here, I don't think anybody cares. Were it me, I'd flatly refuse to take delivery on the vehicle until the emblem was removed. Ditto for any residue or marks on the paint as the result of such removal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1 and I made them do it, and take off any decals too
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I take 'em off as fast as humanly possible.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I take mine off as soon as my license plates arrive, and put plain chrome frames on.

The plastic dealer things are ugly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought I was the only one who got worked up about this as well.  It's not like I speak about it, but everytime I see it I think to myself "Jesus, take that thing off."

Mine came off before I left the lot as well and I put it in the trash can next to the salesman's desk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
had them take the emblem off my car before I took it home, They said it would cost me, I said it would cost them more if they didn't do it. Emblem free
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.petenelson.com/Photos/Misc/Truck/License%20Plate.jpg

If i had that on my car I would be stopped worse than a cheap watch
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Around here many people go to the larger cities to buy their vehicles.   I make it a point to leave the emblems on so people know I bought them from the local dealership.    I used to take them off right away, not it doesn't bother me at all and feel if it helps the dealership, it helps my town, which helps me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.petenelson.com/Photos/Misc/Truck/License%20Plate.jpg

If i had that on my car I would be stopped worse than a cheap watch

but you would still be cool and right
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
had them take the emblem off my car before I took it home, They said it would cost me, I said it would cost them more if they didn't do it. Emblem free

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok....this has been something of a mystery to me for a while now. Nothing I lose sleep over, but still an anomaly.

Ever notice that many, if not most cars have their license plates framed with some cheesy, crappy license plate frame from from the dealership the car was bought from?

"Joe Blow Ford, Saginaw Michigan"

"1# Acura Dealership In New England - City Acura"

Whatever...you get the point.

When you by a home, do you leave a real estate sign in the yard that says "This home was sold through Century 21"....and leave it there indefinately?

How about clothing? Ever slap a sticker on your jeans that say "Levi's bought at Detroit Levi Strauss"?

Why would ANYONE spend as much as what a car costs and leave some shitty, crappy looking advertisement attached to the back of it?

Unless you drive a TOTAL piece of shit, or you're employed by said dealership, there is no GOOD reason what so ever to leave that shit on a car.  It's always mildly amazed me how many people leave that free, shitty looking advertising on the back of a perfectly nice set of wheels.

A screw driver and 3 minutes would remove the eyesore, but so many just leave it there.

Unless you have a good reason for leaving it there, you're a lazy fuck-nut, who paid thousands of dollars to advertise some jackasses dealership.

That's right, I'm talkin' to you.

Let it go. Life is too short to be that angry. Let it be.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought they started using the license plate frames BECAUSE some buyers
were forcing them to remove the stickers.

I remember in 1981, my dad bought a Ford Bronco.

He special ordered it.  Bare bones.  Vinyl seats, vinyl floor.  AM only radio.
No power features.  The only goodie was the locking differentials.  4x4.

Cost just over $10,000.  

He wrote them a check for the full amount.

It took him a long time to save the money for the purchase, as he was farming, and
there wasn't much income.

When it was delivered to the dealer, they stuck a sticker on it.

He flipped.  

"take the sticker off, or give me my check back.  I worked hard for the money to pay
for this truck, and YOU are not going to get any free advertising out of it."

I've got the same attitude he does.

Wonder if it is inherited, or learned.

99% of the popluation doesn't care if there is a dealer sticker on their car.

But as previously mentioned, a Realtor doesn't stick a label on your house.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#18]
When we got our compact car, we made the dealership remove their sticker from the back.  Seems like I had one of those plate frames when I got my truck.  Removed it too.
I don't see the point in getting all excited about other people leaving it on though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I take 'em off, but I understand how some people are incapable of operating a simple screwdriver. Hell, I have a few such people in my family (mostly grandmother types.)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#20]
the BMW Store would put one on every time I took the car in for service or oil change or whatever.  Into the trash it would go.  I probably threw away 10 of the things.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#21]
The license plate frames are one thing, very easy to remove, but I would absolutely refuse to take the car off of the lot until they removed the fucking dealership decals they like to put on the trunk. That's BS.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#22]
If a dealership treats me right, whatever... no big deal... I'll leave it on there.  The more business they get, the longer they stay in business and the lower the prices are the next time I go back.

HOWEVER the last dearlship I went to, the tards but the sticker on CROOKED!!!!!  that got taken off the next night at the house....  how the f*ck hard is it to put a sticker on level?  damn....

Oh and I have an NRA plate frame.   As long as the cops can see the color of the registration sticker, you should be fine, as they change every year here. I would suppose that is the same everywhere, becuase there is no way the cop can read the little number unless he is up on it.  Copsw will use the frame as a reason to stop you if they are being a dick or want to stop you to go fishing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The frame don't bother me as much as the damn stickers
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
the BMW Store would put one on every time I took the car in for service or oil change or whatever.  Into the trash it would go.  I probably threw away 10 of the things.

next time they do that remove the oil cap and drive it around for 45 minutes until the oil gets all over the engine and hood.  then take it back and demand a full detail of the car.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Yup, hate the damn things.  Whenever I can afford to buy a new vehicle, that will be the first thing I check on delivery.  I can take the plate frame off myself, so big deal.  But if I see a decal, or worse, an emblem, I'll tell them, "You have five minutes to remove that with no trace of it ever being there, or I WILL buy a vehicle from your competitor."
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok.....

Just makin' a point...nobody's angry. Easy fella...this is a message board...and this post was simply a....message....not a cry for help.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't see the point in getting all excited about other people leaving it on though.

Doesn't make me 'excited". I simply think it's stupid.

Ever see someone else doing something you thought was stupid?

Yeah....me too...thus the post here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I love the look on thedealer's face when I tell them to take the damn dealership sticker off the back.

Priceless.

SG
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#29]
When we bought the wifes car I told them a condition of the sale was there were to be no stickers or other emblems on her car when we picked it up. It was a special order. They looked at me like they'd never heard that before.

And then had the never to say that they couldn't do that. At that point we got up to walk out and their tune changed very fast.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I fully agree, the sticker/decal actually STUCK on the car is ridiculous. I wouldn't take delivery of a car until that was removed completely. What balls.

The only reason I mentioned license plate frames is because they're so easy to remove and it surprises me how many people are ok with leaving that tacky shit on their cars.

Some people replied that they like to show support for local business's and such.

I guess I'm not that kind of crusader. Car dealerships are like any other business, and their advertising is THEIR job, not something to be forced upon cash paying customers.

My license plate frame is not going to make a difference in the survival of that business, and in the mean time, it makes my otherwise nice looking ride, look like a fuckin' mini-billboard.

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You mean like posting a thread about what other people do or don't choose to have on their cars?...

(J/K )
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep, I make them remove it. I had a sticker on the back of my car, and told them to remove it. Kid brings it back from detaling, and it's still on there. I had to remind them again, but it was done.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like posting a thread about what other people do or don't choose to have on their cars?...

(J/K )

Point taken, but let me steal a partial quote from Apocalypse Now........

Calling peoples posts on ARFCOM "stupid"...is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.

I'd like to think I was more bored than stupid when I posted this....but...whatever.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok.....

Just makin' a point...nobody's angry. Easy fella...this is a message board...and this post was simply a....message....not a cry for help.

Sorry forgot the

I though it was a good post.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Yup, all stickers and frames came off the day I brought it home.
The same thing is done with new bicycles. All stickers removed, cause I ain't getting paid to advertise.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 and I made them do it, and take off any decals too

good thing too, because those dealer frames are not legal in Texas.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I left mine on simply due to the fact the dealer offers free state inspection and emission for 3 years.
Also, by leaving it on, discounts on oil changes, parts, and other cheesy entitlements.

However, I recently moved out of state and 2000 miles away from the dealer.  Soon as I went to
the DMV and received my new plates...the dealers frame came off.

Oh, and IAN_T
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#38]
The one on my truck blocked the expiration sticker on the plate.  In OR, that's illegal.  I made them take it off.

I had another car with a freakin' huge plastic emblem rubber-cemented to the back.  Holy crap.  I ripped that off faster than <removed due to possible CoC violation>.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Mine came right off when I got home, but I honestly can't understand why the sight of it would bother anyone. It's just a license plate cover.

Besides, you missed a BIG one that I've noticed out here since moving from California: Dealerships actually put emblems ON THE CAR BODY ITSELF. Holy dog shit, batman! It's so common around here, I don't think anybody cares. Were it me, I'd flatly refuse to take delivery on the vehicle until the emblem was removed. Ditto for any residue or marks on the paint as the result of such removal.

Yup.  I told the dealer he could get it off or reduce the cost of the car by $1000 as my advertising fee.  Look before you sign the deal too, once you buy it you buy it.  Emblem and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top