Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:00:39 AM EDT
Police widen grenade case
Authorities seize silencers and military equipment from home
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=463423&category=ALBANY&BCCode=LOCAL&newsdate=3/23/2006

By JORDAN CARLEO-EVANGELIST, Staff writer
First published: Wednesday, March 22, 2006

COLONIE -- Hours after police arrested a man in the woods with two homemade grenades and a rifle on Sunday, authorities seized illegal gun silencers and other military equipment from his Latham home, police said.

Brian P. Sweeney, 18, faces additional weapons charges when he appears in court tonight because it's a felony in New York to possess a firearm silencer, investigators said.

Sweeney's family contends he's just a dedicated young man driven by curiosity about the military and a hope to one day serve as an Army Ranger, not the type who would intentionally hurt others.

And while authorities refused to speculate Tuesday about Sweeney's plans for the explosives, they revealed more about what they found while searching Sweeney's Fonda Road home: an armored helmet, several silencers and a handgun.

The silencers, which muffle the sound of gunfire, are illegal under the same law that make it a felony to possess the grenades that Sweeney allegedly built from components purchased on the Internet, said Lt. John Van Alstyne, a Colonie police spokesman.

Van Alstyne said it is not illegal to have a bullet-resistant Kevlar helmet, which was seized.

Sweeney, a cook in his family's business, was arrested Sunday afternoon when two police officers patrolling on newly acquired all-terrain vehicles were drawn to the wooded area between the town bike path and Heritage Court by the sound rapid gunfire.

They allegedly found Sweeney firing into the ground and pointing what authorities described as a Colt AR-15 semi-automatic rifle in the direction of nearby homes.

Van Alstyne said police have found no evidence Sweeney tried to illegally alter the weapon.

In addition to the rifle, which is legal, and several 30-round magazines, Sweeney produced two homemade fragmentation grenades that he told police he planned detonate in the woods.

He told police he had built other grenades several months ago, powerful enough to break bricks and blow a hole in the ground.

According to court records, Sweeney cooperated with police and told them he was just target shooting in the woods.

"At some point I think we'll be comfortable labeling it one way or another," Van Alstyne said.

Authorities also took a computer from Sweeney's home, and town police are working with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to determine whether he should also be charged in federal court.

Sweeney is scheduled to appear tonight in Town Court and remains in Albany County jail without bail at least until then.

Right now, Sweeney is charged in connection with the two explosives he had Sunday. But he might also face charges for firing his rifle close enough to the new homes on Heritage Court to pose a danger, Van Alstyne said.

Sweeney's father said he bought him the rifle in a North Troy gun shop last fall because it was similar to the one he would eventually carry in the military.

Meanwhile, Police Chief Steven Heider praised the results of the department's all-terrain vehicle program started last year.

"This is one of the prime examples of why we got them in the first place," Heider said, adding that illegal hunting and target shooting are not unusual in the town. "Neighbors are concerned. They hear gunshots, they don't know where they're coming from.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
dumbass
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
What is his screen name here on arfcom?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
They should let him enlist for 8 years in lieu of prosecuting IF the military would have him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They should let him enlist for 8 years in lieu of prosecuting IF the military would have him.

Well, the military won't take him if they convict him.

Stepped on his own dingus, he did.

efxguy
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

efxguy

Understood, but if they didn't prosecute, he wouldn't be convicted.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Complete and utter DUMBASS!

Boy just fawked any chance of serving in the military.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Van Alstyne said it is not illegal to have a bullet-resistant Kevlar helmet, which was seized.

It's not illegal, but we're gonna take it anyway? wtf?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I say let him join the military. More than likely he will just end up in prison and probably come out 100 times worse than when he goes in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweeney's family contends he's just a dedicated young man driven by curiosity about the military and a hope to one day serve as an Army Ranger, not the type who would intentionally hurt others.[unquote]

Army Rangers don't hurt others?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, did two by accident.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
My question would be is it illegal to target shoot on your own property?  Eventhough this guy was just "shooting" where some new houses had been built what type of backstop did he have or was he just shooting up in the air towards them specifically.  I doubt there are many people in NY that don't have someone in every direction within two to three miles.

If he has a really good attorney he just might get it kicked because unless they can prove that he was an "immenent" (sp) danger of shooting someone or damaging someone's home then the police did not have probable cause to go onto his property. Yes they saw him shooting from the road but that does not necessarily give them exigitent circumstance. BUT if there is a county or city ordinance against shooting in public then he's fried and can kiss his 2A rights goodbye.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:35:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Army Rangers don't hurt others?

yeah, that was my favorite part.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:51:13 AM EDT
[#15]
And we wonder why folks don't like LEO's. It never said his rounds had posed any danger/actually hit a house or something. He was far enough out to need access with 4wheelers. All he really needed was an ass chewing and take his homemade bombs.

Now we got a good waste of taxpayer dollars going for total bullshit. My buddy had the same shit happen to him. Dumbass cop thought he was the next 911 or some thing. now he's a "felon". Half the cops that are over 30 did the same shit when they were teens. Some maybe worse.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Dumbass

I would like to see his "silencer".  I am thinking soda bottle and insulation.

What the hell is he doing making DDs?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Let him go. He sounds like Army material to me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#18]

when i was a kid, me and some buddies used to make all kinds of little bombs and incendiary devices. we'd go down to the local sandpits and blow some holes in the ground.

we probably would have all been charged with some NFA violations and as domestic terrorists no-a-days.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dumbass

I would like to see his "silencer".  I am thinking soda bottle and insulation.

What the hell is he doing making DDs?

According to the article, he was not charged with anything related to the silencers. They might have turned out to be fakes.

He told police he had built other grenades several months ago, powerful enough to break bricks and blow a hole in the ground.

If he ever gets a chance to throw a real grenade, he will realize what a dumbass he was when he was an 18 year-old wanna be.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

efxguy

Depends on what he gets convicted of. A lot of offenses are waiverable these days.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Let him go. He sounds like Army material to me.

Hell yeah just up and send him directly to Basic.  With a little bit of training he would likely be one helluva expert in IED's-something our military really needs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

As I was reading the story and it kept getting more and more ridiculous....that question kept popping up in my mind....

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And we wonder why folks don't like LEO's. It never said his rounds had posed any danger/actually hit a house or something. He was far enough out to need access with 4wheelers. All he really needed was an ass chewing and take his homemade bombs.

Now we got a good waste of taxpayer dollars going for total bullshit. My buddy had the same shit happen to him. Dumbass cop thought he was the next 911 or some thing. now he's a "felon". Half the cops that are over 30 did the same shit when they were teens. Some maybe worse.

It never ceases to amaze me that someone can do things as stupid as what he did.

And somehow it's the cops fault he was arrested.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Rebel_Grey
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Sweeney's family contends he's just a dedicated young man driven by curiosity about the military and a hope to one day serve as an Army Ranger, not the type who would intentionally hurt others.

Assuming he is not a unstable individual, now, because he was caught for prohibition of items, he may not be able to join the armed forces. Or be "allowed" his 2ndAmd privileg...er....rights. No voting for that matter either.

Gov't brands someone "non-citizen", often for non-violent reasons, and you are now an evil person because they said so. Achtung: Ve Haff Vays to Make You a Felon

C.H.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds to me like he's destined to be a life long Army SEAL.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#27]
It does not sound like this kid was a threat to anyone but himself.  But bullshit laws will make this kid a felon.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I have enough room on my parent's property to make a 300+ yard range, but barely being in city limits prohibits even bow/arrow from being fired back there.  :(  With the mayor's house backed up on our property... I could see that happening to me if I ever tried something like that.  Even though, his kid decided to shoot my mom's cat with a .177 pellet gun.

Heck, I disassembled fireworks and reassembled them when I was 16.  Not the smartest thing in the world... but I still have all my fingers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It does not sound like this kid was a threat to anyone but himself.  But bullshit laws will make this kid a felon.  

No. Acting like a dumbass, manufacturing expolsives, silencers, shooting guns in/near a park is what makes him a felon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It never ceases to amaze me that someone can do things as stupid as what he did.

And somehow it's the cops fault he was arrested.

This is almost a direct quote of something my father said repeatedly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#31]
If thie kid had a silencer on the ar15, how did the cops hear him shooting "multiple rounds"?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#32]
What are the odss it is tannerite?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not illegal, but we're gonna take it anyway? wtf?

Jury appeal.  its common to take items that are not illegal, but help point the complete picture for the jury at trial.

I learned that lesson the hard way. Stopped a car one time and when i walked up to it it was occupied by 3 skinheads.  one had a heavy chain draped around his neck and was holding the ends in his hands and mad dogging me. This immediately caused me to suspect they were muling meth and the ape in the back was the muscle. That ultimately proved to be true and at trial a huge issue was made by the defense that i did not collect the chain as evidence. My answer for why i did not collect it was it wasnt illegal. However it was a significant part of the totality of the circumstances and the defense went on and on about it.  so i have learned you take everything even remotely related to the offense at hand and the events leading up to the arrest.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My question would be is it illegal to target shoot on your own property?  Eventhough this guy was just "shooting" where some new houses had been built what type of backstop did he have or was he just shooting up in the air towards them specifically.  I doubt there are many people in NY that don't have someone in every direction within two to three miles.

If he has a really good attorney he just might get it kicked because unless they can prove that he was an "immenent" (sp) danger of shooting someone or damaging someone's home then the police did not have probable cause to go onto his property. Yes they saw him shooting from the road but that does not necessarily give them exigitent circumstance. BUT if there is a county or city ordinance against shooting in public then he's fried and can kiss his 2A rights goodbye.

What gives you the impression that he was on his own property?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Acting like a dumbass, manufacturing expolsives, silencers, shooting guns in/near a park is what makes him a felon.

No, what makes him a felon are the laws you seem to want to live by and judge other people by.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, what makes him a felon are the laws you seem to want to live by and judge other people by.

Is that the best you could come up with?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top