Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/20/2006 5:43:16 AM EDT
Holy crap...someone explain this before my head explodes...

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4237751840526284618&q=Double+Slit

if you think thats nuts, watch the whole movie

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-539383790954785832&q=what+the+bleep
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a reasonably cogent explanation.

www.telp.com/qw1.htm

However, they call this stuff "Quantum Wierdness" for a reason.  This sub-atomic stuff is peculiar.

- CD
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#2]
That guy in the video is Gordon Freeman in his later years.

Too bad he got rid of his environment suit for that gay superhero suit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Its the future of the new world.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quantum physics is not only stranger than you think, it is stranger than you CAN think.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
This was taught in my Quantum Physics class I took 14 years ago.

Notice I say it was taught.  Not that I learned any of it.

This is when I realized scientists have no clue what is really going on
at the quantum level.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

at the quantum level.  

The problem comes when people mis-apply these scientific questions as philosophy, and then begin to think there are no absolutes at all because we cannot predict the behavior of electrons.

For some reason "philosophers" are fond of doing that kind of stupid stuff.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Makes perfect sense - is reality real? Or dream?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Great vid!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Fascinating.  Especially how mere observation could change the results.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]
is it Hiezenburgs (sp?) uncertainty prinicple at work, with respect to the observation of the event changes the outcome?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Weird.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#16]
The poor electrons get nervous when they're watched.  Leave 'em alone, dammit!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I love this stuff.  - Tag!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Once upon a time I wanted to major in physics and get my PhD in this stuff because I found the basics fascinating.

Then I started to read more about it, and started having trouble sleeping at night.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
tag for home

TC
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]
All I know is Marlee Matlin is a cutie.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I would guess its Osterlies therom of proton speculation.  quite simple really.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to the Matrix my friend..
~Dg84
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

at the quantum level.  

The problem comes when people mis-apply these scientific questions as philosophy, and then begin to think there are no absolutes at all because we cannot predict the behavior of electrons.

For some reason "philosophers" are fond of doing that kind of stupid stuff.

I would never say that there are no absolutes.  I would just question our ability to find them...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if any of these so-called "genius" types have ever thought that their interferance pattern collapsing is a natural form of entanglement. You are creating a "quantum" dataset in the detector that mimicksthe state of the wavicle (wave/particle. http://www.cosmiclight.com/ofquasarsandquanta/wavicles.htm).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Try reading The Elegant Universe by Andrew Green. It goes over this, and is in fairly comprehendable lay terminology.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#28]
So it's ok to put a sack of kittens in a bucket of water as long as I don't look in the sack after?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't bother watching the rest of it.  It's a bunch of ridiculous new age crap.  Over and over again it makes the claim that you can make things invisible to others by making them think they're seeing something they don't understand.  It claims, among other crazy things, that Native Americans were unable to see Columbus's ships because the ships were invisible because they didn't understand them.  A friend that teaches Physics loves to counter those new age idiot pseudo-physicists he has as students with the argument that women can see automatic transmissions .z
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

at the quantum level.  

My uncle got a PhD in plasma physics.  He soon left the field and went back to medical school in part due frustration with the establishment's unwillingness to accept that their models may be flawed.

He's a lot smarter than I am, but my understanding is that the universe seems to defy the accepted models and physicists are more interested in explaining away than understanding.  Other scientists are starting to believe that our understanding of the universe is fundamentally flawed and the gravitational model is misleading.  One group in particular is following the idea that electricity is at the root of everything.

Another thing my uncle told me is that Einstein himself stated that his Theory of Relativity assumes that the universe is electrically neutral and if that isn't the case, the whole deal may be invalidated.  These physicists and cosmologists are starting to think that the universe is actually highly charged.

Anyway, this stuff is way over my head.  Check out Thunderbolts.info.  There is some interesting stuff there.  Especially poke around and find the part about the Great Chicago Fire.  Very interesting indeed!

The important part is that I recently found out that Carl Sagan personally disliked my uncle because he wouldn't fall in line with the party doctrine.  That in itself raises my uncle to near-godlike status to me!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#31]
tagged
carrot
^>-?/
.. -,1~+@!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So it's ok to put a sack of kittens in a bucket of water as long as I don't look in the sack after?

No, your body being there affects the outcome. Its your mass being there that affects the outcome. Every atom in you body is an observer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Once upon a time I wanted to major in physics and get my PhD in this stuff because I found the basics fascinating.

Then I started to read more about it, and started having trouble sleeping at night.

Zero plus zero is zero. 0+0=0. Zero plus an infinite number of zeros is still zero.

If you slice the subatomic pie down all the way eventually you get these little vibrating strings or energy. If you interrupt them, they disappear. They are made of nothing at all. Everything, down deep, is made up of nothing at all.

In mathematics, (0+0+0)xN=0, but in the real world, if you cram enough nothing together, you get a universe.

One of my favorite physics laws is "Matter tends to exist." How pathetic. Caveman comprehension dressed up in pretentious speech.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#34]
WOW!! Even electrons are scared of Chuck Norris.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I wonder if any of these so-called "genius" types have ever thought that their interferance pattern collapsing is a natural form of entanglement. You are creating a "quantum" dataset in the detector that mimicksthe state of the wavicle (wave/particle. http://www.cosmiclight.com/ofquasarsandquanta/wavicles.htm).

You're putting the cart before the horse.  Observations like this are what brought about the idea of harnessing entanglement.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zero plus zero is zero. 0+0=0. Zero plus an infinite number of zeros is still zero.

If you slice the subatomic pie down all the way eventually you get these little vibrating strings or energy. If you interrupt them, they disappear. They are made of nothing at all. Everything, down deep, is made up of nothing at all.

In mathematics, (0+0+0)xN=0, but in the real world, if you cram enough nothing together, you get a universe.

One of my favorite physics laws is "Matter tends to exist." How pathetic. Caveman comprehension dressed up in pretentious speech.

there is no zero. zero is a human idea.

also the idea that matter tends to exist, is refering to relationship with anti-matter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

at the quantum level.  

My uncle got a PhD in plasma physics.  He soon left the field and went back to medical school in part due frustration with the establishment's unwillingness to accept that their models may be flawed.

He's a lot smarter than I am, but my understanding is that the universe seems to defy the accepted models and physicists are more interested in explaining away than understanding.  Other scientists are starting to believe that our understanding of the universe is fundamentally flawed and the gravitational model is misleading.  One group in particular is following the idea that electricity is at the root of everything.

Another thing my uncle told me is that Einstein himself stated that his Theory of Relativity assumes that the universe is electrically neutral and if that isn't the case, the whole deal may be invalidated.  These physicists and cosmologists are starting to think that the universe is actually highly charged.

Anyway, this stuff is way over my head.  Check out Thunderbolts.info.  There is some interesting stuff there.  Especially poke around and find the part about the Great Chicago Fire.  Very interesting indeed!

The important part is that I recently found out that Carl Sagan personally disliked my uncle because he wouldn't fall in line with the party doctrine.  That in itself raises my uncle to near-godlike status to me!  

sorry about your uncle.  Not all minds can grasp quanta.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nothing is nothing whether we are around to observe it or not. The number zero is a human concept, but the  existance of a state defined as "nothing" is not.

also the idea that matter tends to exist, is refering to relationship with anti-matter.

It was originally stated because the question arose concerning the inflationary period and symmetry. While it is valid there, in a shamefully inexplicably way, it has also been used when attempting to explain why matter doesn't just dissapate.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing is nothing whether we are around to observe it or not. The number zero is a human concept, but the  existance of a state defined as "nothing" is not.

It was originally stated because the question arose concerning the inflationary period and symmetry. While it is valid there, in a shamefully inexplicably way, it has also been used when attempting to explain why matter doesn't just dissapate.

I dont agree with your concept of nothing. I dont have time to lecture you either on why. I suggest that you study up on some:

Richard Feynman CAL state lectures(audiobooks)
Roger Penrose - The road to reality
Stephen Hawking - Nature of Space and Time or The Universe In A Nutshell

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Tag

Quantum entanglement is one of the most interesting things out there now
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#41]
tag. I love this stuff. I don't understsnd it, but I love it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#42]
That guy needs a machine gun not a stupid marble shooter. Would have been a much better movie.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Fun stuff
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#44]
tag for home
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
That guy in the video is Gordon Freeman in his later years.

Too bad he got rid of his environment suit for that gay superhero suit.

The funny thing is, that's almost EXACTLY what I said when this video was posted on AnandTech OT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I dont agree with your concept of nothing. I dont have time to lecture you either on why. I suggest that you study up on some:

Good luck

I have read Feynman and Hawking, Dyson and a few others. Where you have no matter or energy, you have nothing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#48]
The movie that was linked is BS.  Some of the poitns it brings up are real, regarding the possibility that ours eyes can sense much more of the universe than our brains interpret, but the movie point blank states that God is a "backwater concept", and the we are God in and of ourselves.  I accept quantum physics, and think there is great potential there - possibly even within our own minds, to bend and shape matter and reality to our will - but there IS a God, period.  Everything around us didn't just "happen".  Something (Someone) had to have MADE it.  As for who/what made Him, my current theory is that time is non-linear - probably circular - and His origin is indeterminate.  Read the "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan.  Same idea - the books say there are seven "Ages", and we remember the prevous one, have myths of the one before that, and by the time the same age rolls back around, the Earth itself has erased all trace of the last time that Age came around.  

Big  Bang -> expansion -> contraction ->Big Crunch -> See #1
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck

I have read Feynman and Hawking, Dyson and a few others. Where you have no matter or energy, you have nothing.

Nothing but 4D space/time itself. From that, you will have virtual particals precipitating out of nothing, time will continue to progress, gravity "waves" from any given mass in the rest of the Universe, ect...

So no, you cannot ever have a "perfect" nothing anywhere. Even if it is only a single qbit of quantum fluctuation, you will have something there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck

Nothing but 4D space/time itself. From that, you will have virtual particals precipitating out of nothing, time will continue to progress, gravity "waves" from any given mass in the rest of the Universe, ect...

So no, you cannot ever have a "perfect" nothing anywhere. Even if it is only a single qbit of quantum fluctuation, you will have something there.

quantum foam?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top