Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 7:30:32 PM EDT
What are your options when it comes to drilling holes in glass? What kind of drill-bits will work?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
no idea... never tried it. would like to know
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The best are steel....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
All I know is they make a special bit, diamond tip and you need a very high speed drill.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad drills alot of glass He uses a special drill bit and keroseeen for cutting oil if i remember right, The drill bits a expensive, they look like a old style speer point nothing fancy just real slow and hope for the best LOL.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Does this question have anything to do with the middle east and oil?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a diamond-tipped bit made for glass.

Takes a while to really get it going...instructions say to do the drilling under a stream of water.  The glass was probably 1/8 inch thick, and it took probably 2 minutes of drilling with my 19.2 volt to get through.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
sounds like something I should try with my bridgeport...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought a diamond-tipped bit made for glass.

Takes a while to really get it going...instructions say to do the drilling under a stream of water.  The glass was probably 1/8 inch thick, and it took probably 2 minutes of drilling with my 19.2 volt to get through.

Plus 1.....
and a steady stream of water....I have done this various times....I worked at a windsheild galss shop..
Mainly done it to stop a crack from spreading...Do the ends of the crack..Drill a hole to stop it.
Heat is your enemy...Both with the bit burning out and to much heat on the glass.
Don't force it...Let the bit do the work
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]
so basically impossible to do with my el cheapo black&decker drill, huh?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#11]
A hammer, you'll get a hole every time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
You could always shoot a hole into it.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]
It can also be done by hand with a new (quality) carbide bit. Some of the guys I used to work with would use this method to make bongs out of empty liquor bottles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That theres some funny shit, dont care who you are!!

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
FIRST THING... MAKE SURE THE GLASS IS NOT TEMPERED.... TEMPERED GLASS CAN'T BE DRILLED!!!!!

How big is the hole? If you need a 1" or bigger hole you are going to need a dimond burr hole saw..
Get some clay or silly putty and make a dam around the area to be drilled.. To start the hole with the hole saw, tilt the bit at a 30-45% angle and score a cresent shape in the glass first.. This will keep the bit from wandering all over the place.. Fill up your dam with water to keep things cool.. Use very light pressure and let the drill do the work.. Will take 10-15 min fir 1/2" glass...

A dremel can be used but the hole will be dirty.. Get a dimond burr for tile and slowly cut the hole..

I have done this many times on aquariums and nerer had any real problems...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to Home Depot and get a "glass and tile" bit. Kind of has a spade point.  You can get a small set with three or four sizes for a a few bucks. Put your drill on low speed and have at it. Water or oil to cool the glass doesn't hurt. I've drilled 3/8" holes in dozens of one gallon jars. In the begining, I used spary lubes to cool the glass. the last few dozen, I skipped the lube with no problems. I'm drilling just above the bottom curved edge of the jars. The wife makes painted lamps from the jars. I'm drilling holes for grommets through which the electrical cord passes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That was good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top