Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My great grandfather was an Army captain in WWI.  He was wounded 8 times, gassed, fought in the Argonne and came home 100% combat disabled.  Was missing part of his jaw and had no teeth, they were blown out from an MG round.  He suffered severely from what was then called "shell shock".  PTSD is the catch term today.  He died a few years before I was born.  My grandfather talks of him often.  I have some pics of him in his doughboy uniform, wide brim helmet and all.  Apparently his PTSD worsened with age.  My grandfather said he only shook a little when he was a boy but it got prgressivly worse as he was eventually nonfunctional and had to be spoon fed.  I think the gas did some damage also.

I am 3rd of four generations, starting with GGrandfather on my moms side to wear our country's uniform.  The second on my dad's.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top