Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:32:34 PM EDT
Today, I decided to add some freon (R-134) to my truck, as during last summer it was apparent that the old girl was running a little low.

So I buy the kit at the local Advanced Auto, install it, and add freon, watching the little gauge thingy so I wouldn't overcharge it. According to the gauge, I didn't, even after adding a full 19-ounce can.

So I go in and buy another. Plug it in, and ITS guage goes into the red!

I immediately unplugged it and returned the second can (I was doing this in the parking lot). When I plugged the original gauge in, it also went into the red.

So I drive off, and about a block away I hear a distinctive pop and hiss. Immediately stop the truck and pop the hood. Smells like freon. Oh, oh....

So I bled the system down until the gauge (which seemed to be working fine now) read just a hair below normal (I bled a hair too much.). End of problems. A/C running fine.

So.... the question is, does the A/C system have a safety purge valve to release excess freon pressure? Do I need to top off the R-134 correctly?

Last summer, my A/C could not compete with the 110F+ temps of Laredo, but this is NC, which gets hot, but not that hot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:41:53 PM EDT
What brand of truck?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:54:11 PM EDT
2000 Isuzu Trooper LS.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:01:58 PM EDT
OK, now that we've established that...

...I have absolutely no idea whether or not your vehicle has a resettable "safety purge valve".

How does the sight glass look? Does it look like you've still got plenty of Freon in the system?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:08:25 PM EDT
I don't think my system has a sight glass.

Gonna have to dig out the service manual.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 7:11:28 PM EDT by TequilaReseva1800]
Dont use cheap guages to charge your ac with.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:13:29 PM EDT
R134 is linked to prostate cancer. A single exposure is extremely dangerous. Don't be "smelling" it.

I also found that you cannot add freon unless you raise the engine RPM.

Did a bunch of lube leak out? Perhaps around the front seal of your compressor?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:16:22 PM EDT
I just checked Alldata. You have a high pressure safety switch that will release excess pressure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:20:07 PM EDT
Yes indeed, many systems have a purge valve that will vent excess pressure when overcharged.

I've done it before myself, when recharging a system, a phone rings or I get distracted, and put too much in. The gauge set reads high, and the "pffffffftttt!" sound of refridgerant bleeding off from the purge valve.

Recover a small amount to bring the system back to normal specs, and you're good to go!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:22:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Roadhawk:
I just checked Alldata. You have a high pressure safety switch that will release excess pressure.

Is it a switch, or a valve? Generally, a high pressure switch just interrupts DC power to the compressor clutch, in order to keep it from being damaged - Unlike a valve, it doesn't release any freon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:22:53 PM EDT
I agree it has a purge valve thats protects the seals from being over pressurized
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 7:25:18 PM EDT by Zaphod]

Originally Posted By Roadhawk:

Thank God.

Thanks for that info.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:24:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:
R134 is linked to prostate cancer. A single exposure is extremely dangerous. Don't be "smelling" it.

I'm fucked. I got a whole lot of the stuff.
Top Top